The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I have just this week ordered a brand new customised guitar.

So, I think that pretty conclusively blows ol' Eric's theory out the water.

Take THAT Clapton !
Before we get too upset with EC, a quick read of this article indicates that this wasn't his theory but he was asked to respond to an article in the Washington Post. Additionally, his response about the guitar being dead was tongue-in-cheek....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-13-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 AM

Bovered? Look a' my face. Bovered? 🤡
Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Before we get too upset with EC, a quick read of this article indicates that this wasn't his theory but he was asked to respond to an article in the Washington Post. Additional, his response about the guitar being dead was tongue-in-cheek....
Er,,, so was my response about one new guitar sale proving the theory was wrong RP !
Old 09-13-2017, 06:06 AM

Default end of an era?

An era closing down, I think not. Guitars may wane in popularity, just as ukes did (look at them now), but I cannot think of a single instrument that offers the versatility of the guitar, combined with its portability. Bass to treble, rhythm or melody, sing with it or solo. A person can readily learn to play it, but will always have musical challenges if they wish to improve. What else does all this?

I suspect what may be happening is that less young folks are playing anything. In school, they have to make more and more time in their crowded schedules for math and science, technical things. Without school hours increasing, that leaves less time for subjects such as English, history, sports and the arts. Spelling is barely taught any more. My children and their friends, who are bright and have been adults for a long time now, cannot spell as well as my generation. They have spell check of course (if they use it), but that doesn't work when writing by hand (for which there still is a need). Maybe handwriting skills will cease to be taught - in some places that has happened. After school, their time is often regimented as exhausted parents ferry kids back and forth to organized activities. Fortunately, music is one organized activity - but there are so many more other fun things to do competing with it than we experienced as kids.

When I attend a festival, I always notice the ages of three groups: the audience, the volunteers, and the performers. This last group seems to be getting younger, which is a great cause for hope. When you have little kids and a budding career, you have little time to volunteer, so I'd expect the volunteer group to be a bit older. But we need all three to keep it going.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

So, here is an interesting lesson on human nature, social media and the distortions of reality.

EC said this statement tongue-in-cheek (as mentioned above).

The ragazine writes the article and even concludes that they don't think this is the case.

But.....to sell more copies, the ragazine takes his statement out of context and uses it as an attention grabbing headline.

People read this and social media buzzes about it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Er,,, so was my response about one new guitar sale proving the theory was wrong RP !
I knew that; so was mine....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Eric was joking.

There's far more truth to the premise of the article than is being recognized in this thread so far.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Eric was joking.

There's far more truth to the premise of the article than is being recognized in this thread so far.
That may be so, although my son (31) likes "our" kind of music, (using a wide net there) and him and lots of his buds play guitar, maybe more muso friends than I ever had at his age, so some hope for the future there.

They may go out and rave to various "dance" music, but they don't play it at home much.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:44 AM

I see acoustic (mostly) guitars in the background of a significant amount of tv commercials. I think this is a good thing. (But I'm taking the 'one month free' Shaw promo package back to Shaw today. )

I think all current guitar players are ambassadors who collectively have great influence on the future popularity of the guitar. (That's why post whores, those that consistently take offense to others' posts {where no offense is intended} and just simple internet 'haters' concern me.)

Youtube & affordable home recordings encourage me.

WPS: I'll still enjoy picking, reflecting, and additional guitars.

Probably trump, imo, is the historic accuracy of predictions -- they're so often embarrassingly inaccurate.

Jmo.

Edit: Thanks Treenewt -- 'we' needed that.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 09-13-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Treenewt's #26 post.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 AM

pfft... what does Eric Clapton know about guitars anyway.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 AM

Well, all I know is my 11 year old had to write a paragraph about something she loves, and you know what she chose to expound on?

The guitar.

In her words:

"I just love the sound the guitar makes. It's like a breeze blowing over flowers, or a mother's voice tenderly soothing her crying child. It's the best sound."

It's not dead yet, fellas.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Well, all I know is my 11 year old had to write a paragraph about something she loves, and you know what she chose to expound on?

The guitar.

In her words:

"I just love the sound the guitar makes. It's like a breeze blowing over flowers, or a mother's voice tenderly soothing her crying child. It's the best sound."

It's not dead yet, fellas.

Love this! You have a wonderful child there sir!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Love this! You have a wonderful child there sir!
Thanks Kip. She's pretty special, indeed.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Like many have already stated, Eric was joking.

Also, the article did not say that interest in guitars is going down, just that sales are down. The article ends with this:

MusicRadar's opinion? Yes, the big guns are hurting, but the market has been saturated. We're also seeing longer-lasting low-priced instruments, the rise of home studio musicians less concerned with owning indestructible tour 'horses and, at the other end of the scale, a cottage industry of small, independent luthiers attracting more discerning buyers.

In addition, while figures may be down overall over the last decade, it's likely not a coincidence that across that period most of the developed, guitar-buying world has been in recovery from the worst recession since the Great Depression.

It may be time to worry, but we've been reading about the death of guitar music since the '90s, so if it's truly kicking the bucket, we've yet to hear the clang...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 AM

I was subscribing to Guitar Player back through much of the 80s and recall worried players writing in about having double finding work during the dreadful disco era.
Seems to me that while guitar-based bands and performers are not as visible in "pop" music as once was the case, what with Hip-Hop and all, there's still a very active scene among singer-songwriters, all sorts of niche musicians, the current "folk" and "Americana" scene, etc, etc.

We just played at a benefit concert for our son (lost his wife in a house fire) and every one of the musicians present had guitars.
These folks are mostly part of the surprisingly-active "Pagan" music scene and many of 'em play festivals and sell CDs quite under the pop-music radar.

And of course there's the whole bluegrass scene.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion