The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

My guitars that I play on a daily basis range from $425 to $3k.

Ok, when I record I generally go with the most expensive guitar, but there are plenty of times when I don't. I bet if I did a recording (with full eq'ing) of 3 of my favorites, very few would be able to pick out which was which. I don't know if I could pick them out in a blind test either.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Perhaps in NZ. I have yet to hear anyone in the US midwest mention dollar signs....unless we're discussing a killer deal that's substantially better than previous prices.

As for weight, I'm 120lbs with a good power to weight. I see big benefits on the extended climbs when I shave off a little weight.
I don't think he's talking about you. He's talking about guys like me (200+ pounds) who will spend tons of $$ to replace the bolts on their water bottle cage to save a few grams instead of just riding and watching what they eat to get rid of the extra 50 pounds around the waist that is really holding them back.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-24-2019, 02:07 PM

I only had one guitar for 25 years, a Korean Sigma. When I got more serious, I decided I needed a pro-quality guitar, so I figured Taylor 314ce would fit the bill. I was thinking about buying a used 114ce or 214ce but my wife (believe it or not) said, "Is that really what you want? Why don't you just wait and get what you really want?"

Then I got a Martin D-18. And inherited an HD-28. I like them all. I still have my beater Sigma, but I hardly play it (why would I?). My Taylor and Martins would be high-end to some; pedestrian to others. They're perfect for me, though.

OTOH, I know a guy who only has cheap beaters. A bunch of them. He's a reverse guitar snob. "I don't need an expensive guitar to sound good--I can make any guitar sound good!" You know the type.

I, however, need all the help I can get.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM

The sound of a sweet, singing, sustaining note on a guitar or ukulele is my preferred drug in life—it stirs my soul and gives me a natural high! The $200 instruments in my past did not give me the same high as my 1k uke and 2k acoustic do. I’ve also put more expensive instruments in my hands but so far those didn’t do it for me or not enough to justify the increase in price. I am happily satisfied and (pretty sure) I have all I will ever need.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
I like your story very much! I’m guessing that this Guild D-55 is very precious to you now and will be a keeper for life...and perhaps for the next generation too...
Yes.
I'm not a parent, but with his parent's permission, it's in my will for a teenage student of mine.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

How and why do you choose the guitar or guitars you now own?

I'd like to respond to this part of the OP's initial thread starter.

My first guitar (late '60s) cost me £16 new. I knew nothing about tonewoods body sizes, or tonality, I just new tat I'd had enough of playing drums in ever louder and larger venues and wanted to get back to ... "music".

Over many years I traded up, until I got a D35 in 1975.
Apart from a break from 1983-1993 when I was too ill to play, I slowly learned what I needed in a guitar, and discovered that a wider fretboard solved most of my issues in 1999.

12 fret designs were a revelation and so suited y style and fingers that whenever I saw one reasonably priced (usually on eBay) I bid and slowly (rarely more than one a year) I acquired a small collection - smaller bodies, short scales, a 12 string, resonators etc.

So, the answer, or at least mine, was to learn what suited me best rather than go for bling and standard offerings.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM

My most expensive guitar was purchased as kind of a milestone. When I turned 50, I had the money (not always the case) and decided that it was the time and purchased a Martin HD 28. I considered the D18v, the 35s- even a 41.
Now, my playing ability did not dictate me getting this guitar. It was just time, a now or never kind of thing.

Today, I have six guitars. From the HD 28 on the high end, to a Seagull S6 that I bought as a new but damaged instrument, ($225) The qualifier was liking the guitar and being able to play it.

I have never been out to impress anybody. Only 2 of the six I own, did I buy new.

I don't get hung up on having the latest, greatest guitar. That is a game you can never win, IMO. When I am feeling less than satified with any guitar I have, I play something else, put on new strings or just realize the tomorrow is another day.

I honestly get as much pleasure from one as much as the next, depending on my mood, what I am playing. I don't think of any guitar as a cheapie.

If there is a deficit, it's my playing or lack of understanding of something and a $4000 guitar won't change that.

Todays more moderately priced guitars are SO much better than those of years ago. It is actually pretty amazing that you can get excellent tone from a $200 instrument.

I think too many players are too impatient and don't take the time to get the max from whichever guitar they have. Saddle choice, strings, pins, set up, playing in, etc.

I say whatever you have to play, enjoy what you can do with it. Create. Make music.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 PM

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I am a sucker for high end, luthier made guitars. But I’ve always had a compulsion to get the “best” equipment. Anyone who really knows guitar would not think my skill level even comes close “justifying” some of the guitars I’ve owned. I’ve worked very hard in my profession and I can afford them and they bring me great pleasure. So I’m at peace with that!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I guess I’m in the minority here, but I am a sucker for high end, luthier made guitars. But I’ve always had a compulsion to get the “best” equipment. Anyone who really knows guitar would not think my skill level even comes close “justifying” some of the guitars I’ve owned. I’ve worked very hard in my profession and I can afford them and they bring me great pleasure. So I’m at peace with that!
Absolutely nothing wrong with that brother! Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Thinking about the OP I have to wonder why buying a guitar is any different than other transactions made in our society. The laws of economics say a product is sold when a buyer who considers the deal appropriate if found. So from that perspective all purchases are “economically priced” or they wouldn’t sell. However, I’m guessing the OP is trying to establish a tension between low and high priced guitars. Taken to the limits that seems to suggest some buyers scrimp and other buyers waste. I doubt it is that clear-cut. I imagine purchases are driven along a gradient and the reasons are complicated. I also believe Low & High is relative as well as being a moving target over time. For some people on AGF $2K would be a pretty inexpensive guitar, while it would be unattainably high for others. We all have our suitable price point.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
It's a complicated question.

New guitars come under the discretionary spending category.

It also depends on the kind of music you play to some extent. I think if you're playing solo finger style you probably have different (and often more expensive to fine) requirements of the instrument than if you're strumming in a group
Bristol by Blueridge all laminate worked to see if I was serious enough to play and practice daily.

BR-243A Blueridge worked for two years, and I clearly remember hovering my finger over the click to buy now button before deciding I really didn't have the extra money at that time, and purchased later.

Martin Authentic has served me well since. Played this afternoon and it sounded wonderful, plus has encouraged me to develop musically.

I wouldn't even try a $20,000 guitar, might like it.

I play only with fingers, and have tried some beautiful looking custom guitars, but didn't find them to be anything special over what I have, exquisite inlays notwithstanding. My primary consideration is tone.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
...He's talking about guys like me (200+ pounds) who will spend tons of $$ to replace the bolts on their water bottle cage to save a few grams instead of just riding and watching what they eat to get rid of the extra 50 pounds around the waist that is really holding them back.
Back in the day before one could buy bicycle components made from lightweight metals, drilling out bike parts to save weight was all the rage...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that brother! Enjoy!
Absolutely........if you can afford it, why not!!

I look at it this way.........my high-end guitars gets me excited everyday, helps me to get out of bed everyday and play them, be a better player, look at them etc, etc
Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 PM

Bought 2 guitars last year - one cost 10x more than the other - one makes you work to get the best out of it - the other lays it out for you - both are extremely enjoyable to play - both make me smile.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 PM

I buy what sits well in my ear. I stopped shopping headstocks years ago. There's not one make/model badge on any of my vehicles. I removed them. First, I'm finished with jamming fingers on the various appliques and escutcheons when washing/polishing. Second, I don't freely advertise. There are no visible maker's tags on my clothing for the same reason. I remove them. I won't do that on my guitars because no one sees them on a routinely, publicly displayed basis. One of my (2) guitars cost me under $500.00 and the other over $5,000.00. The cheaper one I've had since 2005. The expensive one I originally bought in 2007 for under $5,000.00, sold it 2 years ago, but realized the mistake and replaced it late last year. I enjoy them for the sound I can get out of them and that's all I'm about. If they were commissions there would be no maker's marks on them anywhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion