The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-11-2016, 08:56 PM

Default Automatic Audio Mastering System software

I found some interesting software that automatically masters your recordings. There's a freeware version and a pro version. The free version downloads onto your computer and you can enter in a sound file and it will automatically master your recording. I tried it out a few of my test recordings and most of them sounded much better. The free version adds 50 band EQ, 4 band Compression and Loudness control.... the pro version uses a 100 point EQ, 8 band compression.., and you have a choice of hundreds of reference settings from various styles of music. You can watch the video's and get started right away mastering your files on your computer. You can find out more info at their website here....

http://www.curioza.com/

I was surprised by how much better my recordings sounded. I burned a few cd's to listen on my truck's sound system and was very impressed. I did a bunch of A/B tests and the mastered versions came out on top every time.

The pro version costs about $70 or 65 euros which ain't bad for what you get. But the free version will cover many needs.

I never heard of it before today, but it does indeed seem to work nicely. In the pro version, you set it for automatic, semi-automatic or manual mastering.

Here's a quick sound sample of a mastered sound test...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

Here's the original file before mastering....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 09-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:55 PM

Here's another sample of a mastered track of a friend and me jamming on a blues tune....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Compare clips at equal volume. Use the exact same recording in the before and after. These are two separate recordings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-11-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Compare clips at equal volume. Use the exact same recording in the before and after. These are two separate recordings.
That's the problem I'm having. I put together tracks and the volume levels are all over the place. One track will be at one level, and the others will be at another. I've already been called out for releasing quiet tracks. I have tried to equalize the levels here and the mastered tracks just sound better because they've been properly EQ'ed, compressed and levels set. I'm getting way more volume that I could get on my own without distortion. Apparently a skill I haven't mastered yet. I'm loving what this software is doing to my tracks !!! It really is cleaning up my tracks. It's also boosted some of my weak guitar playing so it isn't so noticeable.

I ordered the professional version already. May not get the KeyCode for a day or two.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-11-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yes they are two separate recordings. One before and one after processing with this software. Major difference. Comparing the two shows what the software does to the file.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

The volume levels are not even in the same universe. The volume of the first recording was 35 or so decibels lower than the second recording. The volume of the first recording was so low that probably useful data was lost at recording time that could not be recovered.
Ninety five percent of what these automatic software mastering gizmos do is volume boosting. Maybe a set low pass filter is in there. Other frequency equalization is too subjective to be used well. Hopefully the compression, if used, is minimal and functioning more like a limiter.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:07 AM

I know the volume levels are way different, that's what I want !!!!! I crank up the volume in my DAW software and it distorts. Clips like crazy, but still doesn't have the volume of other tracks by other people...now I'm in the same ballpark.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 AM

In the freeware software I used, the EQ is a 50 point EQ, the Compression is 4 band, I have no idea about what else the software is doing, but I think I read about a brickwall limiter, leveling and who knows what else.

The pro version has a 100 point EQ, 8 band compression, and lots of reference points to chose from.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I know the volume levels are way different, that's what I want !!!!! I crank up the volume in my DAW software and it distorts. Clips like crazy, but still doesn't have the volume of other tracks by other people...now I'm in the same ballpark.
If that is the case, something is wrong with your gear or how you are using it. Time to work on those problems. Over and out.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 AM

Well this AAMS software seems to fix up my files right up. It's just what I needed. It gives me the results I was looking for. I was also looking at Ozone by Izotope, but it looked like the same basic stuff I already have in Sonar and Audition CS6.

This software is a no-brainer for me. After hearing the end result, I'm sold.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
If that is the case, something is wrong with your gear or how you are using it. Time to work on those problems. Over and out.
I'm not sure what the problem is. I mix and put the levels right below maximum on the meters and it's still a quiet track when I upload it into SoundClick. Other people's tracks are much louder than mine. But I'm gun shy about cranking them up for fear of distorting the track. With this software, I get the desired sound level with no distortion. Perfect. It sets the proper levels for me.... just what I needed.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 01:20 AM

I got the Key Code for the Pro Version just a while ago. So now I have the fully registered version on my computer. This gives me a 100 band EQ, 8 band compressor, Brick Wall Limiter... 200 mastering samples, and a bunch of other goodies. Lot's of charts, and manual options..
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 07:28 AM

It appears that you're making in general audio mistakes and then relying on software to correct them? A fundamental understanding of unity gain, the difference between input sensitivity, gain, bus levels, output and volume (and most importantly where to get volume) would help with your woes. Also a firm grasp of the dBfs meter and the difference between peak and RMS levels would help insure some consistency track to track and project to project.

Finally mastering is a skill not a preset. If output volume is what you're looking for Sonar has the tools to do that and you needn't buy more software. Mastering is above all reactionary. It is the act of interpreting specific problematic sonics and correcting them. Anything you may choose by way of a successful mastering pre-set would be serendipitous at best. As an audio person there really is no substitute for getting the basics of gain structure firmly under control.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Well love it or hate it I think it's a pretty cool piece of software I haven't seen before. To be fair, yes you're right that a skilled audio engineer would do a better job than a machine, as evidenced by some of the experiments I did last night didn't turn out perfect. I had issues with some of my tracks not sounding better. But some tracks did. Either or, it's an interesting software technology which I chose to support. I like to idea of mastering on my computer and not having to send it out. Getting one good mix and the software pays for itself. I've already got that, so I can't complain. I'm really intrigued by this software, there's lot's of stuff to explore, and the pro version is just loaded with data and options.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Here's an interesting experiment with a 12 string guitar going thru the mastering program.....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD