The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interestingly, both the spec Ukes sold as soon as they were strung! I'm going to make a couple more of the steel string JB-Ukes, one of which was ordered.

Meanwhile, I have finally got around to completing the Maple 0, which may get strings tomorrow:

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Love those tuners and the maple back plate.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Bruce:
Missing your posts, hope you are just busy and all is well. Take care.
Tom
Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 AM

Violin finished? Like to see some pics.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

It's Sunday morning and I'm in between my two regular cups of coffee. Not a shop day, more of a family day. My big project today is to replace the valves and shower diverter on the 1800's clawfoot bath tub my house came with. We tended toward charm over funtionality when we bought our home, and we have to deal with it in an ongoing way.

The photo of the gold tuners in my previous post was primarily made to send to the customer, of course. Unfortunately for us, and although he had not mentioned it, his preference was for nickel. I send photos partly so that this kind of correction can come up before shipping charges become a factor, but in this case it turned into some trouble. I didn't have nickel GrandTunes for one thing, though Howard Klepper did and an arrangement was made. But then it turned out that I had put the ferrules in a bit too tighly and the ebony face plate was damaged removing them. This required a refinish to the head face, which is not yet complete as I am waiting for it to get hard enough to buff properly. This kind if thing is very frustrating for me (and the customer, no doubt) but we do what we have to do. It does slow me down, though, and is one of two reasons I have been a bit quiet here in the forum.

Both of the Ukes I made are placed with ecstatic Ukists, and I got an order for another, so I am making two more as my next guitar build slot isn't up till April. These are both JB-Ukes, which are my steel string multiScale asymmetric blahblahblah miniaturized rendition of my state of the art (IMO) JB series guitars. One day you may see one of these JB-Ukes and may come to see the $2800 (current) price of admission as a steal; a killer piece of my art for a fifth the price of the guitar it emulates!

The other reason I have been a bit scarce is I am still smarting from posts I have read in the forum suggesting that the really good builders are spending their time building, and insinuating that the luthiers who spend any time in the forums are essentially desperate losers without enough to do. Personally, I have enough time in the day for more than one pursuit, and I enjoy the interaction I get here in the forums. I also consider it good citizenship to share my knowledge freely, as I have now done for years here and in other venues. It really gives me pause to see that a number of people actually disrespect me and the peers who take the time to participate here. Sad.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Bruce, some people will not respect anything or anybody - they need to be ignored if at all possible. You are one of the great treasures of the AGF community and I, for one, am grateful that you share your wealth of knowledge so freely with us. Please don't stop!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM

Bruce, if any of those making such accusations actually owned or played one of your guitars, I suspect they'd have the good sense to either delete or disown their judgmental comments.

I believe your forum contributions are a treasure to the guitar community... the wealth of information you so freely pass on to others about luthiery as well as your thoughtful and always well-written comments and opinions about a world of topics certainly enrich my life -- as have the Sexauer guitars that I play on a daily basis.

Please don't put your forum participation on hold.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Bruce, I hope those comments don't discourage you from continuing to contruibute here. Those posters, whoever they are, are the real losers with too much free time to disparage those who make a living doing this beautiful work. I think they should just be ignored; staying away because of a few jerks only makes them win...

Maybe we don't don't voice our thanks all the time for sharing your works, but hope that you understand all the contributions of the luthiers here are much appreciated.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Bruce, some people will not respect anything or anybody - they need to be ignored if at all possible. You are one of the great treasures of the AGF community and I, for one, am grateful that you share your wealth of knowledge so freely with us. Please don't stop!
Bruce:
I will be 72 this year and have been around technical folks all my working life. I have found there are a number of different personalities throughout that sphere of humanity. One is the person who does not show folks anything and pretends he/she knows a lot but is keeping it a SECRET. Usually these folks don't know too much and are insecure in their field.
Another group of folks are very giving with their knowledge, willing to mentor, always trying to learn and improve. These are generally the people who know the most and their info is generally spot on the money. They are safe and secure in their knowledge. These are the folks which one should try to rub shoulders.
Everyone knows you fit in this latter group. Keep sharing, keep giving.
Take care.
Tom
Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Bruce - I echo the comments of the four AGFers above.

As someone who has several of your amazing guitars in my possession and has enjoyed many conversations with you during their creation, my opinion is anyone who does not want to take in your advice and comments to be missing out in a big way.

I am sure there are many like me who look forward to your posts. Keep them coming.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It's Sunday morning and I'm in between my two regular cups of coffee. Not a shop day, more of a family day. My big project today is to replace the valves and shower diverter on the 1800's clawfoot bath tub my house came with. We tended toward charm over funtionality when we bought our home, and we have to deal with it in an ongoing way.

The photo of the gold tuners in my previous post was primarily made to send to the customer, of course. Unfortunately for us, and although he had not mentioned it, his preference was for nickel. I send photos partly so that this kind of correction can come up before shipping charges become a factor, but in this case it turned into some trouble. I didn't have nickel GrandTunes for one thing, though Howard Klepper did and an arrangement was made. But then it turned out that I had put the ferrules in a bit too tighly and the ebony face plate was damaged removing them. This required a refinish to the head face, which is not yet complete as I am waiting for it to get hard enough to buff properly. This kind if thing is very frustrating for me (and the customer, no doubt) but we do what we have to do. It does slow me down, though, and is one of two reasons I have been a bit quiet here in the forum.

Both of the Ukes I made are placed with ecstatic Ukists, and I got an order for another, so I am making two more as my next guitar build slot isn't up till April. These are both JB-Ukes, which are my steel string multiScale asymmetric blahblahblah miniaturized rendition of my state of the art (IMO) JB series guitars. One day you may see one of these JB-Ukes and may come to see the $2800 (current) price of admission as a steal; a killer piece of my art for a fifth the price of the guitar it emulates!

The other reason I have been a bit scarce is I am still smarting from posts I have read in the forum suggesting that the really good builders are spending their time building, and insinuating that the luthiers who spend any time in the forums are essentially desperate losers without enough to do. Personally, I have enough time in the day for more than one pursuit, and I enjoy the interaction I get here in the forums. I also consider it good citizenship to share my knowledge freely, as I have now done for years here and in other venues. It really gives me pause to see that a number of people actually disrespect me and the peers who take the time to participate here. Sad.
It is sad but every idiot I know has a computer and an opinion.
Your one of the very few builders I check out on a regular basis.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Bruce, it's obvious by the number of posts and views on your threads that you count many fans in this community. There's no reason you should reconsider your participation to this forum based on that one post. Like others here, I enjoy your threads and hope you keep posting.

Perhaps you can refresh our collective memory and remind us what that issue was all about? That's one heated conversation I'm glad I wasn't a part of!

Otherwise, I actually decided to support Harvey Leach as a result of "meeting" him on this forum. I believe Keith has a few instruments of Harvey's as well. Guys like David Wren and Grit Laskin also received a very warm welcome recently. I've actually been in touch with Grit and his participation to this forum definitely has no impact on the desirability of his instruments in my view -- all the contrary!

Overall, I think people on this forum really enjoy the luthiers' participation.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you all very much for you consideration and support. The comments that i found discouraging were not directed toward me, if I remember correctly, but were a general disparagement of the kind of luthier who would find the time to participate is a forum such as this, and the clear suggestion that they would necessarily be second rate as compared to a more serious luthier, who would not be so distracted. A number of examples of those more serious luthiers were given, the usual suspects. I have seen this come up more that once over the years, but never so succinctly. I did not take it personally, but more as some writing on the wall. I do not now recall the thread I (last) saw this in, but it is around here somewhere.

I know that there is a strong tendency to not expect greatness in your own neighborhood, to discount the familiar as most likely to be normal, to expect to have to work hard to find that which is extraordinary. Familiarity breeds contempt might be the extreme cliche'. Everyone likes a bit of mystery. It is a known error to lay all your cards on the table. Running with the cards cliche', I have a LOT of cards, so there is little danger there, and because I am ever the artist type, which is to say constantly pushing the envelope, there are always more cards in my hand.

The nature of my personality is that I am probably incapable of withdrawing from forum life, at least not all at once. My morning ritual involves reading the newspaper, checking the Market, and skimming the 3 forums I am currently active in, all while consuming 2 cups of epicurean coffee and some form of oatmeal. This is after my ritual shower and before the long trek (75', more or less) out to the shop. I call this breakfast and it takes me about 80 minutes; I cherish the time.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Cool Bruce - stay with us.

I saw the post to which you refer. There are a lot of words that could describe it and none of them are positive. A short list would look like this: petty, mean spirited, reactionary, yuck.

Lovely uke Bruce....be well.

John
Old 03-16-2014, 03:48 PM

The thread on Gotoh 510 tuners (now closed) seems to be the one that caused the bad feelings. There were two posters who seem to have taken exception to some of Bruce's comments about Olson and Kostal. In fairness, those comments (as well as some others that Bruce has made over the years in relation to other builders) could be perceived as taking subtle shots. Sometimes pride, ego, confidence and well-earned knowledge can translate as arrogance or veiled disrespect towards others. I read the comments, was not surprised by some of the responses, but none of it seemed to rise to the level of outright hostility or anything approaching intentional disrespect. Sometimes things like this are good - they help us all look at the way we communicate.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop