The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
I lived a short bike ride away from Wildwood, up until 15 months ago. Their inventory is quite large, but their showroom is tiny, and really dedicated to desk space for the half dozen guys on the phone almost constantly with customers.

One hundred and eight Martins there right now, all of them solid wood made in Nazareth. They're not there to sell you an 00X1AE.

Their real biz is the online one, and what you need to do is peruse the inventory before you go, noting the guitars you want to see. All the inventory is in the adjacent building, and one of the guys will bring you everything you want to try out.

A whole lot of Gibson and Martin, a great collection of pre-owned stuff, but their focus is on pricey guitars. No straight up bone stock D-18s, no sir.
Hi Sf

And they have gladly dragged out inventory (the warehouse is across the street) when we were there seriously considering options. They have (more than once) brought four or five Taylor 714ce or every Martin D-28 I asked to see across the street.

They do a huge online business, including extensive vintage and electric guitars.

So you the person who posted about small show-room was not wrong, just didn't know to ask to see anything specific.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
So you the person who posted about small show-room was not wrong, just didn't know to ask to see anything specific.

Yep, that was me. You’re right, and I look forward to going back when I have something specific in mind.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies! It's great to hear from people that have been to these shops. One of my favorite things to do when traveling is check out guitars. Had a fun time in Chicago at Chicgo Music Exchange and an expensive trip in Nashville to Gruhns.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
After hearing so many good things about Wildwood on this forum, I went out of my way to stop there on my way home from Longmont the other day. Was very surprised to find a tiny room with about 8 uninspiring acoustics hanging on the wall — half of them were Taylor Academy series. Besides that there were a couple of Martin 15 series and I think a couple of budget imports. There were also a bunch of electrics and signs hanging everywhere saying not to touch the guitars without permission.

Serious question: Was I in the wrong place?

If I could only go to one guitar shop in Denver, it would be the Folklore Center for sure. Followed by the Olde Town Pickin Parlor. Unfortunately they’re on the far opposite sides of town.
I did EXACTLY the same thing a couple of weeks ago: after hearing about WW for ever how great it was etc fantastic selection and so on, I stopped in and was completely underwhelmed. Four or five guys sitting on computers selling guitars to callers. Helpful, friendly and accommodating guys, to be sure, but they were not -- at that point, IMO -- a guitar shop set up to be selling to off-the-street "live" customers.

Their staff obligingly scurried next door to their warehouse where they reportedly store "about 2500 guitars", but there was no roomful of guitars on display for you to be able to see, touch and play.

As it was, I ended up only playing two or three guitars which _I_ had to find using their online catalog and then they went next door and fetched them about 10 minutes later. Very offputting for a walk-in customer. Impression was that they were totally there for online sales.

That having been said, they apologized for the situation described above and indicated that "within a few weeks" were moving to a larger location that would enable them to set up a showroom so that live customers could browse and see and touch and play instruments with more ease.

Hopefully that was or is being achieved now, but yes I agree with you -- it was not a great guitar shopping experience!

Fred
Old 06-24-2019, 04:24 PM

I think Wildwood's business model is selling expensive guitars online, and they are happy with their success.

'Twould be a sea change for them to set up a big showroom like the best Guitar Centers have, or even a smaller one. They like to keep those beauties in their cases. Also, they would have to hang them locked, so you would need to ask to be able to examine one closely and play it.

And that requires personnel. Someone to attend to you. And they don't want walk-in browsers, really. You noodle around on a few guitars, maybe put a tiny ding in one, and then you say thanks and leave.

Every call-in is a potential buyer, so they focus on the phones. Look at how they present the guitars on the website, with photography, specs, and a story about how it sounds and plays.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
The Olde Town Pickin' Parlor in Arvada is highly recommended.
Yup. Some amazing Collings and other instruments there. Wandered in there back in April, during a trip to Denver.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I think Wildwood's business model is selling expensive guitars online, and they are happy with their success.

'Twould be a sea change for them to set up a big showroom like the best Guitar Centers have, or even a smaller one. They like to keep those beauties in their cases. Also, they would have to hang them locked, so you would need to ask to be able to examine one closely and play it.

And that requires personnel. Someone to attend to you. And they don't want walk-in browsers, really. You noodle around on a few guitars, maybe put a tiny ding in one, and then you say thanks and leave.

Every call-in is a potential buyer, so they focus on the phones. Look at how they present the guitars on the website, with photography, specs, and a story about how it sounds and plays.

Sure, totally agree, and I wish them all the success in the world. But my perception has been that Wildwood is typically mentioned here in the same breath as other, more traditional, showroom style local shops. And that’s not the experience they offer at all. That’s not a criticism. I’m sure they have way fewer headaches operating the way they do. I look forward to visiting them again when I have something specific in mind.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post
I did EXACTLY the same thing a couple of weeks ago: after hearing about WW for ever how great it was etc fantastic selection and so on, I stopped in and was completely underwhelmed. Four or five guys sitting on computers selling guitars to callers. Helpful, friendly and accommodating guys, to be sure, but they were not -- at that point, IMO -- a guitar shop set up to be selling to off-the-street "live" customers.

Their staff obligingly scurried next door to their warehouse where they reportedly store "about 2500 guitars", but there was no roomful of guitars on display for you to be able to see, touch and play.

As it was, I ended up only playing two or three guitars which _I_ had to find using their online catalog and then they went next door and fetched them about 10 minutes later. Very offputting for a walk-in customer. Impression was that they were totally there for online sales.

That having been said, they apologized for the situation described above and indicated that "within a few weeks" were moving to a larger location that would enable them to set up a showroom so that live customers could browse and see and touch and play instruments with more ease.

Hopefully that was or is being achieved now, but yes I agree with you -- it was not a great guitar shopping experience!

Fred
Yup. Stopped there in April 2016. Was bummed after all this talk of how awesome it is. I've owned some high end WW guitars/amps... and online is the only way I buy them. I won't waste the time going there after my one and only visit.

Btw... their videos with Greg Koch are the best. To have that much guitar AND comedy talent is amazing. IF I went there, it would just be to see "the man" if I was ever lucky enough to be there when he was in town.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:48 PM

WW hosted a Fender Custom Shop show at a nearby event center a few years back when we lived there and I went. Greg was the star of the show, following a presentation by each of the six custom-shop builders from Fender.

He had a whole table full of goodies: string sets, tee shirts, capos, and more. Whipping out each of the many Custom Shop specials (all electric), he played "name that riff" and threw a goodie to each person that shouted out the answer first. It was hilarious.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Denver Folklore Center https://www.denverfolklore.com ......
^^^^ wonderful people

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
WW hosted a Fender Custom Shop show at a nearby event center a few years back when we lived there and I went. Greg was the star of the show, following a presentation by each of the six custom-shop builders from Fender.

He had a whole table full of goodies: string sets, tee shirts, capos, and more. Whipping out each of the many Custom Shop specials (all electric), he played "name that riff" and threw a goodie to each person that shouted out the answer first. It was hilarious.
Right on! Such a cool guy.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:06 AM

When you're in town, be sure to do Guitars Etc up in Longmont if you go north to Wildwood. They have a good selection of Collins, Bourgeois, Martin and Taylor-- check the website. The walk-in experience is fine, and have lunch at the Irish restaurant nearby.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion