The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Better case for Martin Backpacker?

Looking for leads on a better case for a Martin Backpacker.....The bag that comes with it is kind of generic and not real protective
Old 06-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Never heard of one. I have a backpacker. Almost lost it in the very long walk from the gates to Customs in the Vancouver airport. It was ready to fall out of its bag. Some kind person informed me of this before it happened. I might have snapped the headstock off. It was totally zipped when we deplaned....
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
Never heard of one. I have a backpacker. Almost lost it in the very long walk from the gates to Customs in the Vancouver airport. It was ready to fall out of its bag. Some kind person informed me of this before it happened. I might have snapped the headstock off. It was totally zipped when we deplaned....

Wow....That would have sucked.....not real impressed with the bag...

I see a few folks have made different cases for it....might have to go that route.

And how, exactly, do you maintain constant conditions regarding temp/humidity in a canvas bag?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

There's probably not much call for an upgraded case for a backpacker. Unlike most other guitar cases, a BP case would only fit a BP. Add to that the fact that it's a $200 guitar and not many would want to invest much more into it.

I have one that I bought back when they first came out. I didn't play it much back then and only pulled it out for the first time in close to two decades when I was giving some lessons a little over a year ago. Yikes. The neck on that thing is like the business end of a baseball bat. It's sitting back where it sat for 20 years and might never move again.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

How 'bout a Go Puffy Gig Bag? Sam Radding of Go Guitars provides a Puffy Gig Bag that is about the same size, but with much more padding. It's probably twice a thick around the body of the guitar. Looks like it retails at $45. I haven't compared the specs, but the guitars are about the same size. The Puffy Gig Bag is a much better bag.

http://www.go-guitars.com/options.html
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
How 'bout a Go Puffy Gig Bag? Sam Radding of Go Guitars provides a Puffy Gig Bag that is about the same size, but with much more padding. It's probably twice a thick around the body of the guitar. Looks like it retails at $45. I haven't compared the specs, but the guitars are about the same size. The Puffy Gig Bag is a much better bag.

http://www.go-guitars.com/options.html
Thank you for that!1
Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
Thank you for that!1
You're welcome. Word spread a couple years ago that Sam had retired from building guitars, but according to website, he's still active. So, I assume he changed his mind or solicited helping with the chores.

They're closed for a month of vacation from July 1st--August 3rd, so you might want to contact him soon. Sam is a great guy and builds fine guitars. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 PM

I think I remember seeing someone use a pretty generic rifle case. Not something that would get you locked away in the airport type.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM

You could always make your own case like this guy did...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/saburo...57636637352144
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM

To get a better case for your backpacker, you could easily spend more than the price of the instrument. Is it worth it?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
To get a better case for your backpacker, you could easily spend more than the price of the instrument.
You think he will end up spending more than $200 for a case?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
You think he will end up spending more than $200 for a case?
If he wants something that actually fits the instrument, yes. There's really no solid case that he can buy off the shelf to fit that guitar. A custom case will run him $400-500. Gig bags in various sizes can be found but it's not likely any of them will hold that guitar securely and protect it any better than the bag it comes with. To actually improve the situation, he'd have to find someone who makes custom gig bags. I'm doubtful anyone will do it for less than $200.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 PM

Mountain dulcimer gigbag? Keyboard gigbag?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
To get a better case for your backpacker, you could easily spend more than the price of the instrument. Is it worth it?
Are you implying that getting a better case for a Backpacker is like putting lipstick on a pig?

That's funny, and probably true; HOWEVER, I really enjoy my Backpacker. Playing it means I'm enjoying an adventure with the added benefit of self-made music. It's been to 19 states in three years, in hot and cold cars, in hotels and tents, at beaches and fire rings, in drizzle and dirt, and abused by grandchildren and dogs.

A couple years ago, I was stung numerous times on my face and arms while working in my yard on a hot and sweaty day. I went looking for them and they stung me again. It was a call to action. I sat for hours in a lawn chair in the danger zone playing the Backpacker while watching for any activity that might point me to the nest of the offending yellowjackets. I played with my left eye swelled shut, ready with a garden hose and insecticide to spray the nest if it was revealed to me. I figured I could drop the Backpacker and run, or swat with it if I was attacked. My wife came out of the house, saw me in that pitiful state, shook her head, mumbled something, and went back in. I figured out how to play a nice fingerstyle version of the early 60s classic, "Sleepwalk", that day, in spite of the heat, sweat, pain, itching, swelling, and danger.

Music with adventure OR danger; I just never worry about it with my Backpacker.

The bag that came with it is plenty functional.

If I had to get rid of my guitars one by one, my Backpacker would be the next-to-last to go, just for the fun factor relative to the investment. Of course, my Custom Shop Martin would be last, but it would have to yanked violently from my hands.

opencee

Old 06-25-2019, 02:57 PM

You could look at a store like Bass Pro shops. The may have something that would work.

Or check out Blue Heron. They make custom cases to your order. Not cheap but very good quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion