The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Your speakers should be plugged into the interface, not directly to the computer.
Yes this is correct. If you plug your speakers into the computer, you are bypassing your interface and using built-in circuitry in the computer that is ALWAYS lower quality than an external interface.

(I worked at Microsoft for 10 years as an audio designer/technologist.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The recording interface should just be used as that. There is no need to plug your speakers into it also.
Barry - virtually all audio interfaces have an output device as well as an input device.

For example, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: 2 mic or line inputs, a headphone output, and two line outputs (these would be connected to powered speakers in most cases).

It is certainly possible to use the motherboard audio, but this is cheap, not well-shielded, and not tested in the same manner as dedicated audio interfaces. As I paid good money for a higher quality interface, I want to run 100% of my precious audio through it.

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
As I mention I’d never use anything Windows has to offer by way of sound. That’s clearly not their gig
To be fair, audio quality in Windows these days is very high (at the OS level). Most of this is due to heavy lobbying and pressure back in the mid-late 90s from internal and external media professionals.

Where problems come in is in the UI design of things like the Volume Mixer and sound control panel apps. In trying to make it dead easy for consumers, they made it more difficult than necessary for media professionals wanting to go beyond default built-in audio.

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Nah, no good. Keep the speakers separate.
Hi TB,

You're wrong about this. Once there's an interface involved the computer sound card is totally irrelevant.

I can give you a list of reasons why if you'd like.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hi TB,

You're wrong about this. Once there's an interface involved the computer sound card is totally irrelevant.

I can give you a list of reasons why if you'd like.
No, I like using my hd sound mixer through my control panel (adjusts for speaker distance, room type, etc)

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Barry - virtually all audio interfaces have an output device as well as an input device.

For example, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: 2 mic or line inputs, a headphone output, and two line outputs (these would be connected to powered speakers in most cases).

It is certainly possible to use the motherboard audio, but this is cheap, not well-shielded, and not tested in the same manner as dedicated audio interfaces. As I paid good money for a higher quality interface, I want to run 100% of my precious audio through it.
I'll try it out. Doesn't hurt. I can always go back to the way I had it. I just recently got the sound dialed in pretty good though.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah, no good. Keep the speakers separate.
Separate from what? .

Barry note that with and audio interface like the Scarlet, the analog signal comes into the inputs, is converted by the AD converters and sent to the computer and DAW via USB ...then via USB the processed/edited digital signal comes back to the interface from the computer and is then converted by the DA converters and sent to the speaker and HP outs..... So technically speaking the the two signal paths are separate (if that is what you mean) .

Just as note of interest , I have yet to be in any professional studio where monitor speakers are connected to a computer

As per Joseph's et.al posts, and in my opinion the main speaker outs on the interface is definitely where you want to connect your speakers to (regardless of what sound manipulation program you may have on your computer) .

As per Gordons post the converters and the analog circuits in the interface are going to superior to that in virtually and computer .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-07-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 PM

It is usual practice not to use the on-board audio when you have an external usb audio interface.

The line outs from the usb interface are usually plugged into your active monitor speakers.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Your monitors should absolutely be plugged into your interface. If the D/A conversion of your computer's sound card is better than your interface, you should chuck your interface.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Separate from what? .

Barry note that with and audio interface like the Scarlet, the analog signal comes into the inputs, is converted by the AD converters and sent to the computer and DAW via USB ...then via USB the processed/edited digital signal comes back to the interface from the computer and is then converted by the DA converters and sent to the speaker and HP outs..... So technically speaking the the two signal paths are separate (if that is what you mean) .

Just as note of interest , I have yet to be in any professional studio where monitor speakers are connected to a computer

As per Joseph's et.al posts, and in my opinion the main speaker outs on the interface is definitely where you want to connect your speakers to (regardless of what sound manipulation program you may have on your computer) .

As per Gordons post the converters and the analog circuits in the interface are going to superior to that in virtually and computer .
But..... With a pair of computer speakers like the Logitech 5.1 left and right desktop speakers - about 6" tall and 3 inches wide..... Is there going to really be an audible difference?

My speakers have 3 outputs 2i4 has 2 inputs. Something is wrong with this picture,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 04-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But..... With a pair of computer speakers like the Logitech 5.1 left and right desktop speakers - about 6" tall and 3 inches wide..... Is there going to really be an audible difference?
The dynamic range of the interface conversion will be greater than the dynamic range of the computer sound card, so there will be an audible difference. Given the size of your speakers, the difference might only be on the upper frequencies but the difference will be there.

By running your speakers off your computer sound card, you're doing the to your audio what people do to pictures when they cut off heads. Just as they're not seeing everything, you're not hearing everything. Your ears may not be experienced enough to really notice but as you become better at this and gain experience, those higher frequencies will come into focus for you.

In the end, this really isn't a preference thing. You have tools and you're not taking full advantage of what they can do. You're making a mistake that will limit you not only in the present, but in the long term as well. If you were gaining something for saddling yourself with that limitation, perhaps there would be a good reason to keep your monitors connected to the computer. But these is no upside other than not having to flip the on-switch for your interface when you use the computer for non-recording purposes.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-07-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Nah, no good.
I’m certainly cool with the notion that you simply wanna do things this way There are no rules in audio although I would submit there is a right and wrong. But for the sake of those who are new here it’s a really bad notion that using your interface D/A is “nah, no good” is at very least, questionable.

It decidedly is not “no good”.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I’m certainly cool with the notion that you simply wanna do things this way There are no rules in audio although I would submit there is a right and wrong. But for the sake of those who are new here it’s a really bad notion that using your interface D/A is “nah, no good” is at very least, questionable.

It decidedly is not “no good”.
Ok.................. I guess.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Just tell everybody you're doing it so you can also reference what your mixes sound like coming through a PC sound card & they'll leave you in peace.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

My speakers have 3 outputs 2i4 has 2 inputs. Something is wrong with this picture,
I do not know for certain but there certainly could be an audible difference . Consider that the price of Scarlet is reflected and focussed in its analog inputs, preamps , digital converters, analog outputs and some selection routing and finally a digital input/output USB connection That's it.
The price of the computer is reflected and focused in it's CPU, storage hard drive, RAM memory, Graphics Card, Display (if laptop) and the sound card is well down the list of priority and price reflection.

Yes something is wrong because that is definitely not what you would want to do , To clarify what people are talking about is connecting the line "Outputs" ( one the back of the 2i4) from the Scarlet to the "Inputs" on the speakers. (not the other way around ?)

I am not familiar with Logitech or any outboard computer speakers, especially 5.1 surround speaker connection configurations . which may be some of the issue.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
interface gain, recording, sm57, windows input level