The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Mark, as always, I thoroughly enjoy following along in your builds. That old growth redwood is mesmerizing! Your work is seriously stunning in every detail.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-24-2016, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
Very nice indeed.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Love it!

So the Beveled strap arrangement is standard on cutwaways? Hmmmm....
Yea, since you're leaning toward a cutaway on your parlor that bevel for the strap button is yours for the having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mark, as always, I thoroughly enjoy following along in your builds. That old growth redwood is mesmerizing! Your work is seriously stunning in every detail.
Thanks! Figure like that redwood has is a serious distraction to work with as it just wants to suck you in. Wait to we get it back from the finisher-

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 AM

That new Greta headstock veneer looks like a map of the Mississippi River! Just beautiful.....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-25-2016, 09:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
That new Greta headstock veneer looks like a map of the Mississippi River! Just beautiful.....
Thanks!

Yea, I like the way it works. With nature defining the lines it will always be unique

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM

Amazing, Mark!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinjazz View Post
Amazing, Mark!
Thanks quentinjazz!

On a different topic; I've been very involved in the start up of a local makerspace in my town. If you aren't familiar with makerspaces I'd suggest you google it and see what they are all about. You'll be impressed and won't say the young just aren't handy or creative anymore.

Our makerspace in Peterborough just got in and set up one of these:

When I made these key fobs for a client it was a laser engraver that cut out the text:

I was impressed by how sharp and accurate the system was and I now have full access to one 24/7 just four minutes from my house. This opens a lot of opportunities for guitar work but, some of you may have already read me proclaiming how I abhor "building to the tool". This happens when you get a new tool and start splashing whatever it does best all over your work. It's so easy to fall under the spell of the new and the shiny. There are so many things to draw inspiration from; nature, art, crafts, etc. You run a great risk by jumping on a new technology that has identifying signatures like the robotic perfection of cnc or burnt laser cut marks but the newness is so dazzling! Problem is that the dazzle eventually wears off and your work can end up looking like this:

I think it's wonderful to try new things and it's great to honor the traditional. The trick is to do new things that will remain timeless and at least have a crack at becoming traditional.

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 01-26-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:55 PM

I've been a member of our local makerspace for the better part of a year now. I didn't even know about it until a friend asked me to help him out with a guitarmaking woodshop class he was teaching for a local charter school. The first year students made cigar-box guitars, and the second year students made small acoustics.

It's such a fantastic opportunity. I've been able to work with our laser, have full access to a machine shop, a woodshop with a 36" bandsaw, robotics (if I were interested), glassblowing, even weaving. My wife took the pottery class and got started on something she's been interested in learning for years.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I've been a member of our local makerspace for the better part of a year now. I didn't even know about it until a friend asked me to help him out with a guitarmaking woodshop class he was teaching for a local charter school. The first year students made cigar-box guitars, and the second year students made small acoustics.

It's such a fantastic opportunity. I've been able to work with our laser, have full access to a machine shop, a woodshop with a 36" bandsaw, robotics (if I were interested), glassblowing, even weaving. My wife took the pottery class and got started on something she's been interested in learning for years.
That's great! I have visited more established workspaces than ours and think they are wonderful. The comradory and cross pollination of ideas is fabulous. When I was getting a tour of one in Nashua I saw they had cameras on some of the work stations and I asked if they had theft issues. I was answered "No, not at all. In fact it's just the opposite. People are typically bringing in things like a new belt to replace one they noticed is worn."
They keep the camera views live on their member website so members can check to see if anyone is on the machine before they come in.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 AM

That sounds pretty cool Mark- I'll be interested to see how you use the laser. As you know I also have access all the time and haven't found anything guitar related to do with it!

I'm curious how the shop is set up, who maintains it etc.... Sounds like I owe you an email-
Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 AM

That is some gorgeous wood.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
That sounds pretty cool Mark- I'll be interested to see how you use the laser. As you know I also have access all the time and haven't found anything guitar related to do with it!

I'm curious how the shop is set up, who maintains it etc.... Sounds like I owe you an email-
Yea I'm in a bit of a conundrum of where to use it as well. As may be gathered from my post I won't use it anywhere that shows scorched wood (I've got that much figured out) I see possibilities for inlay pockets. Ideally I could scan the inlay material I cut out with the jewelry saw and use that scan file to cut the pocket. The beam cuts a .005" line which is .003" less than I can with a router and I won't be breaking those tiny router bits.
I need to experiment with various woods. I hear Black Ebony doesn't do well with lasers but that is the easiest one to use routers on (it's the most forgiving). Unfortunately, I'm out of commission right now due to a gift of pink eye from my lovely grandchildren. Hence, all the time I have to be posting now.

And yes, we should try that get together sometime (after I'm not contagious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIK View Post
That is some gorgeous wood.
It is Thanks! In the theme of my post I will say that it's hard to go wrong drawing inspiration from the materials you work with.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Smile Late to this party..

Wow, these instruments are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I agree about the esthetic choices. Love the tusk bark and burl, etc.

Makes me really glad JK suggested burl for my headstock!!!

Thanks for all the beautiful pics.

Some folks will be stoked!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-27-2016, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow, these instruments are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I agree about the esthetic choices. Love the tusk bark and burl, etc.

Makes me really glad JK suggested burl for my headstock!!!

Thanks for all the beautiful pics.

Some folks will be stoked!!!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul

Looks like you've got a great looking guitar at the finisher! I really like the work JK did on both the arm and rib bevels. I plan to do both bevels on my next start up on Monday which will be a Josie sm jumbo quilted maple with Cocobolo trim.

Thanks Again!
Mark

Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Yea I'm in a bit of a conundrum of where to use it as well.
I was a ball of excitement after taking our laser class, but then reality set in. We have to use .XPS files, which I can't generate on my Mac (as far as I can tell), and in any case, I have to be able to make the file in the first place. I tried making a few templates and got some easy ones, like a soundhole reinforcement patch and a bridge plate, done in CAD. I tried to cut some templates out of acrylic, but the melting plastic didn't produce the cleanest edge. I'd like to try cutting them again out of some baltic birch ply.

We also have a CNC in ours, but I don't even want to go there. I can only learn so many things at a time, and school keeps my mind full enough.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yea, there is a learning curve with these technologies. We will be getting a cnc machine at the worker space in time as well. Having fret slots cut with cnc is helpful because you can cut the floor of the slot to the same radius as the fretboard. This eliminates the hollow under the frets and makes the neck a smidge stronger/stable.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop