The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen mills View Post
I guess its horses for courses and the depth of your wallet!!
Yup. And almost to a picker, everyone of us who have spent the coin agree that when you go cheap, it's all about the setup. And the companies that invest the most in domestic setup ship the best guitars to customers.

I know some people bristle at the phrase "the bottom line is", but that really is the bottom line. I'd rather have chinese cone on a well set up import, than slap a nice cone in one direct from the factory. You might get lucky with the latter, but the odds aren't in your favor.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Sort of an insult thread, starting out with premise of National players being snobs. Not a great way to solicit great unbiased advice. But I digress….
You obviously didn't read the thread. If you had, you would know that I do think the Resonator crowd is "national or nothing" when seeking a pro quality instrument. But it isn't because of snobbery as I might have thought initially, but because of lack of diversity and other viable options. You would also have noticed, if you read the thread, that I bought a National Resophonic myself. If you are offended or feel insulted by the word snob, I am sorry. I don't personally think of it as an insulting word as most gear heads with gladly admit being snobs about one thing or another. But thanks for your comment, it really added to this thread that was started 3 years ago....
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Adam Franklin playing his National Delphi :

Nice! Though it's dark, clearly not a Delphi at the start of the video. But I persevered and he switches to one when he gets to the instructional part.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
The only thing that would get me spinning would be converting a "good acoustic "

Edited to add, I'd LOVE to see a converted lower end Ovation or Applause. Because I don't get the Ovation hate. And I think a melding of the two would be the best ever rough and tumble guitar for busking and campfire use. Leave the good ones alone.

Yer mate-- spot on and happy 2015
Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Yup. And almost to a picker, everyone of us who have spent the coin agree that when you go cheap, it's all about the setup. And the companies that invest the most in domestic setup ship the best guitars to customers.

I know some people bristle at the phrase "the bottom line is", but that really is the bottom line. I'd rather have chinese cone on a well set up import, than slap a nice cone in one direct from the factory. You might get lucky with the latter, but the odds aren't in your favor.
hi strummers and pluckers
and Hi Blue,

Well Blue-- you know just what to do
Old 02-25-2015, 09:36 AM

Just curious. How does the Epiphone resonator compare to the Dobro?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I'm one of those guitar players who dabbles in resonators. Don't know if its snobby or not...but I've learned to buy guitars you want rather than get close and trade up later...losing money on each deal.

When I wanted a resonator I skipped the imports and went right to NRP. Now I have a steel Tricone and an M1 Tricone. Had the M1 out this morning before work...and it's tone just made me smile and wonder why its been in the closet so long....I think I'm going to put new strings on the steel Tricone tonight.
This is what I intended to write. I started with a Chinese made tricone. the neck was nice enough, and if you spent some time, faffing about with the cones you could just about get it to play without too many rattles. I got it to play pub gigs so got it bugged up and people seemed to like it.

Then I got serious and bought a National Style "O" Deluxe off e-bay (the most rewarding and friendly transaction i ever made) and when I compared them it was like comparing a Ferrari with a Fiat 500. I did manage to sell the Chicone to a friend, but, of course lost most of my initial investment.

However, Gretsch seem to have cornered the market with National copies, and although the ones I've seen don't have anything like a national tone or power, they might be worth trying.

Whlst the body does affect the sound to some degree, the instrument is only as good as the cone - and if you are going to upgrade the cones - why not just go for a used National Delphi or some such.

I'm considering selling my Style "O" as I'd prefer to have an Estralita 12 fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments