The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Do you use Facebook, Twitter, multiple choice available
I use Facebook 47 39.50%
I use Twitter 13 10.92%
I use neither 67 56.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Do you use social media, specifically Facebook or Twitter??

I myself do not, and I'm a retired IT guy, was never completely comfortable with the security/privacy, and if I want to talk to you I'll call first, or text.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:18 AM

No & No...

My friends and family know that my social media involvement is that you can give me a call, then stop by the house if we want to visit...

I give them the same courtesy...

I always joke that if I had a business card, it would just say:

"Denny...since 1949..."
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 AM

Neither.

My wife is on Facebook though, if there is anything of interest regarding family and friends, she'll let me know about it.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 AM

Same: No and No. Used to have FB but found it rather boring and using it less and less so logged off a while back.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM

What's funny is that I have started to care less and less about my "friends" on Facebook, and what keeps me on there are various musical instrument companies showing off their latest and great items, things on sale, etc. It's more window shopping for me than anything these days. I've unsubscribed to A LOT of people on there. I'm friends with some boutique drum companies (for those who are unfamiliar, yes, they exist), gun and accessory companies, and some guitar companies on there. I also keep up with a handful of ministries as well.

So for me, it's less about people and more about "stuff."
Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM

I was on FB for awhile and got so sick of the negativity on there. I had an epiphany one day and realized that I could be playing music instead of wasting my time looking at what people were eating!! I went cold turkey on January 1st and don't miss it at all. I've always thought Twitter was stupid!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM

I've been on FB for several years, but my usage has declined tremendously.

I've un-followed many of my friends. They're so annoying. The only reason I check it out is because I like seeing pics of family and close friends. If people only post political stuff or recipes or passive-aggressive statements like, "Grrr. I'm so mad today," looking for someone to ask them "What's wrong?" then I block them or un-friend them completely. I try to keep my circle of friends small, and I'm pretty picky. And I only use it to post pictures of the family.

All that said, I know that FB is important for marketing. With two books coming out next year, I'll be starting a FB author page (which, apparently is different than a profile page ) I despise Twitter, but joined the ranks last month. Again, it's only to have a 'presence' in the world of authors and the like. Sadly, Twitter is even more politically charged than FB. It's truly awful, worse than I thought it would be. I don't know if the possibility of selling a few extra books is worth it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I use Facebook to keep track of my friends 8 hours away in Ireland, and also for my product page, the Wooden Flute Obsession CDs ( https://www.facebook.com/Wooden-Flut...n-198502778423 ). I'm just finding time again to post links to videos of some great flute players of Irish Traditional Music.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 AM

I used to spend a good deal of time on FB. Since the '16 election and the tepid response from FB, I have cut down to once a week or so checking to see if there are any new pictures of the grandkids.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Neither. And I never will. What Denny B said....

I also avoid LinkedIn for business purposes. I get invites all the time from people I know professionally who already have my email. If you have my email and phone number, just contact me directly. Why do we need a network that will just cause us both to have hundreds of daily spam messages and "friend" requests? The one time I relented and logged in to LinkedIn caused me nothing but time-wasting grief. It took the better part of a year to make all the irrelevant requests from unknown people go away. Not for me.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM

I sort of see what people value about Facebook, but I feel I don't have the time. Nothing I can feel holier than thou about personally as I spend a great deal of time working on content for my blog/podcast. In fact, I sometimes feel guilty about not having a Facebook profile and working that angle to promote that content.

I don't Tweet that often, but I've often found it useful when something happens and you want near real time info on it: weather events, service outages, and that sort of thing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-21-2018, 10:25 AM

My wife and I do very minimal Facebook for some family stuff. Mainly we keep tabs on the nieces and nephews and their children but it's pretty infrequently.
I also use it a wee bit for music stuff, contacts etc., because that's how it is today.
I always thought posting what you are doing every minute of your life on Facebook was presumptuous and self-centered. Still do for those that are doing it that often. Twitter is nonsense to me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm on Facebook. Its great for reconnecting with old friends and letting old girlfriends see what they missed.

Once everyone stopped reporting what they had for breakfast it became bearable, and the political stuff can be mostly avoided if you don't place "Like" or "Following" on pages established for the championing of causes.

It has proved invaluable for getting gigs. So yeah, I have no beef with Facebook
Old 08-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Musical minimalist

Facebook - for keeping in touch with old friends who are distant, and also to have a business page. I also find it relatively useful for some of the local Yard Sale type sites.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM

Facebook is a useful tool for families that have been separated by "family" court. It's worth about 3 min./day. I'm tired of looking backward.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic