The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Trigger Finger Treatment Day

After waiting weeks for the appointment, I finally got in for treatment of my trigger finger problem today. Same doctor treated it when I had it on my right hand. Got the usual discussion about the process and then the inevitable offer of "Guess you want the shot today"

If you ever have had shots in your fingers or hand, you know why I was a little anxious when I answered "sure".

He left the room to get the gear so I had a few minutes to screw up my courage.
When he returned, he swabbed the hand with antiseptic and then sprayed it with the topical anesthetic. I bravely extended my hand and the needle went in. If you're wondering, spray anesthetics don't do jack. Finally felt the needle come out and was relived it was over.

The doc looked at me and said "Oh no, we're not through. That was just the numbing shot"

I stuck out my hand again and in went the cortisone. Felt like hot lead being injected. Took my last vestige of manly pride to keep from screaming like an 8 year old girl. I was able to keep it to a wince.

The irony of it is, I picked up a bad ear infection Saturday and am also treating that. So my finger will now be able to play but I won't be able to hear it till the ear infection subsides.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Youch! Sounds only moderately more fun than using a cattle prod for a bathtub toy! Hope it and the ear infection get better soon!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I guess that I am fortunate in that I have a GP that will give me cortisone injections for carpal tunnel syndrome and/or trigger finger issues.

He has the skill to insert the needle exactly where it won't touch a nerve, and the shot now contains the cortisone and anaesthetic, which frankly I could do without as I discovered the last two times that the knock out aspect hits in just about the time that I'm driving out of the car park!

Thank goodness for the NHS and Justin my GP!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM

HHP, what exactly is the problem with your finger? Sounds like a painful remedy. I had a needle once in my finger when I cut the tendon. I was shocked at how painful it was. It felt like the needle was going through my finger.

Here's to some peaceful recovery.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
HHP, what exactly is the problem with your finger? Sounds like a painful remedy. I had a needle once in my finger when I cut the tendon. I was shocked at how painful it was. It felt like the needle was going through my finger.

Here's to some peaceful recovery.
Trigger finger is a condition where the tendon sheath gets in inflamed and causes the finger to open and close in a jerky motion. Had it in my other hand a few years ago and had to finally go to surgery to correct it. I told the doctor the surgery was more pleasant than the shots.

Only thing worse was I cut the pad of a finger deeply while opening a box. Before stitching it, the doctor gave me a numbing shot in the very tip of the finger.

I'm sure their examination couch still has impression my hand left while I gripped it during the shot. If I need stitches again, I'll skip the shot and just take the pain of sewing it up.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:25 PM

Just sliced my ring finger on my fretting hand on Thursday. The numbing shots stung a bit, especially the one on the end of my finger. But then it was like I didn't even have a finger for about 4 hours, and really had little sensation as they put in the 5 stitches. When the shots wore off, everything complained for the rest of the night...very little sleep. So event thought the shots were no fun, I'd take them again. YMMV, and your doc might have a different level of skill with those (just like dentists do when they give you novocaine...some barely register, some dentists make it feel like there is a needle going into your eye...slowly.

Hope it all resolves for you soon.

My stitches come out in a week.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:00 PM
abc123

Default Ouch! Me Too

Sounds like you had a bad day. I too have had a right-hand finger treated with a cortisone shot with success. Then a left-hand finger did the same thing. Had another shot, but it didn't help. I'm scheduled for surgery the end of the month. Hope your experience is better.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Trigger finger is a condition where the tendon sheath gets in inflamed and causes the finger to open and close in a jerky motion. Had it in my other hand a few years ago and had to finally go to surgery to correct it. I told the doctor the surgery was more pleasant than the shots.

Only thing worse was I cut the pad of a finger deeply while opening a box. Before stitching it, the doctor gave me a numbing shot in the very tip of the finger.

I'm sure their examination couch still has impression my hand left while I gripped it during the shot. If I need stitches again, I'll skip the shot and just take the pain of sewing it up.
I didn't realize that "trigger finger" was a condition, I though it was your index finger you were referring to (which still may be the case). Good luck HHP.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize that "trigger finger" was a condition, I though it was your index finger you were referring to (which still may be the case). Good luck HHP.
Its my ring finger. The "trigger" comes from the way the finger snaps open, like a switchblade knife. It won't uncurl smoothly. The shots should carry me several months and the surgery is quick with fast recovery time.When I had surgery on the right hand, I just took a local and watched TV in the operating room while they fixed it. Seems like I went in about noon and was home by 3.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:12 AM

Usually a nodule forms on the tendon due to inflammation. I've had three trigger thumb cortisone shots (plus one each in my wrist, knee and hip bursa). Occasionally, the cortisone doesn't just calm the inflammation (after a painful flare for a few days), but actually softens the nodule so the tendon resorbs it.

I've always had the lidocaine mixed in with the cortisone (triamcinolone)--it's a gel, and seems to be injected in slo-mo--ten agonizing seconds that feel like forever. Childbirth breathing exercises sure help. Only needed the release surgery on the L thumb 8 yrs. ago. Almost had it last yr. on the R., but the nodule went away at the last minute...literally, in the pre-op room. My surgeon says triggering can resolve spontaneously, and the surgery is a "lifestyle" surgery. But you can't inject the same soft tissue more than 3 times, or it can weaken & break down.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Usually a nodule forms on the tendon due to inflammation. I've had three trigger thumb cortisone shots (plus one each in my wrist, knee and hip bursa). Occasionally, the cortisone doesn't just calm the inflammation (after a painful flare for a few days), but actually softens the nodule so the tendon resorbs it.

I've always had the lidocaine mixed in with the cortisone (triamcinolone)--it's a gel, and seems to be injected in slo-mo--ten agonizing seconds that feel like forever. Childbirth breathing exercises sure help. Only needed the release surgery on the L thumb 8 yrs. ago. Almost had it last yr. on the R., but the nodule went away at the last minute...literally, in the pre-op room. My surgeon says triggering can resolve spontaneously, and the surgery is a "lifestyle" surgery. But you can't inject the same soft tissue more than 3 times, or it can weaken & break down.
My doctor must have thought I was a quart low on lidocaine. I got the shot Monday at about 11:00 AM and the numbness finally wore off this morning. But, i have enough movement now and the triggering is almost gone.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:26 AM

I had surgery in order to correct trigger finger - aka stenosing tenosynovitis - (pronounced "stuh-NO-sing ten-o-sin-o-VIE-tis") about 20 years ago.

My right hand ring finger used to lock up on a regular basis, and got to the point where I had to go to the doctor's office one time in order to get it straightened back out. No fun trying to shift a 4-speed manual transmission during the 25 mile drive to his office that day.

It was day surgery; they numbed my hand (the first couple of novocaine shots were painful as all get-out) but the surgery was quick, painless and went well; recovery time was only a little more than week for the swelling to go away and to have the stitches removed.

It quickly healed to the point that I couldn't remember which hand was operated on without looking at both hands for the minuscule scar - unless that's a sign of old age...
Old 08-22-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
I had surgery in order to correct trigger finger - aka stenosing tenosynovitis - (pronounced "stuh-NO-sing ten-o-sin-o-VIE-tis") about 20 years ago.

My right hand ring finger used to lock up on a regular basis, and got to the point where I had to go to the doctor's office one time in order to get it straightened back out. No fun trying to shift a 4-speed manual transmission during the 25 mile drive to his office that day.

It was day surgery; they numbed my hand (the first couple of novocaine shots were painful as all get-out) but the surgery was quick, painless and went well; recovery time was only a little more than week for the swelling to go away and to have the stitches removed.

It quickly healed to the point that I couldn't remember which hand was operated on without looking at both hands for the minuscule scar - unless that's a sign of old age...
I have two more shots to look forward to before having to commit to surgery. Hoping I am one of the few where the condition doesn't return after the shot. If I do need a second shot, surgery in almost inevitable.

Had surgery on same finger on right hand several years ago and it was no real problem, although surprisingly expensive. They have a big screen TV in the operating room so you can watch while they work. Whole process from walk in to being back home was about 3 hours.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I have two more shots to look forward to before having to commit to surgery. Hoping I am one of the few where the condition doesn't return after the shot. If I do need a second shot, surgery in almost inevitable.

Had surgery on same finger on right hand several years ago and it was no real problem, although surprisingly expensive. They have a big screen TV in the operating room so you can watch while they work. Whole process from walk in to being back home was about 3 hours.
Are you going to proceed with surgery this time? How long do you have to wait?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Are you going to proceed with surgery this time? How long do you have to wait?
Going to see how the shots work first. Sometimes, it doesn't recur after a shot. If it does come back, another shot will clear it but not for as long, a third shot's effect is less still. Most doctors won't do more than 3.

I'll put off surgery for as long as possible. Its not that unpleasant but I want to give every alternative a chance. Its also very expensive so the part I'll have to pay will be pretty substantial.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic