The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-01-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Changing from Reaper to FL Studio or other

I didn't like the quality of the Reaper plugins.
And was having a hard time getting a good final result.
So I decided to try some other DAWs.
This FL Studio seems promising.
With some nice plugins like a stereo enhancer(didn't find a stereo spread viewer inside the DAW yet).
My favorite are 2 mastering plugins that work together pretty well.
One kinda works as a limiter of sorts with loads of knobs, but it comes with some presets like "clean master" that seems to do the job.
The other seems to act like some sort of compression tool with 4 presets and you just select the preset and turn the volume knob to taste.
Here is a sample with eq, reverb, stereo enhancer, "soundgoodizer" the comptool, and "maximus" the mastering/limiter tool (some lost of quality in the high end from soundcloud compression:

I'm looking into studio one also. It seems to more professional with a four band mastering plugin (instead of the 3 on FL). But it also seems harder to work with.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Seems if you don't like the plug-ins that come with any particular package it's easy enough to add free of low cost plug-ins. The actual DAW shouldn't be a deal breaker just because you don't like their plugs. The key thing is if you like how your DAW feels and the workflow.

Don't dump your favorite workspace, just add VSTs as needed. you don't throw the prime rib out because you need salt and pepper.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Seems if you don't like the plug-ins that come with any particular package it's easy enough to add free of low cost plug-ins. The actual DAW shouldn't be a deal breaker just because you don't like their plugs. The key thing is if you like how your DAW feels and the workflow.

Don't dump your favorite workspace, just add VSTs as needed. you don't throw the prime rib out because you need salt and pepper.
I would'nt say Reaper has my favorite workflow... It's the only one I ever used.
With the built-in plugins presets from FL and Studio One it seem way easier to get where I want... And I just tried them out yesterday.

Here is a comparison between the track processed by fl and studio one using similar plugins... Which one sounds better?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 AM

he only real difference between DAWs is the workflow, so find one you're comfortable with.
As to Reaper's plug-ins, it sounds like you may have been relying on presets, never the best way to approach their use.
For example, for ReaVerb, did you download IRs (rooms) to use with it? The standard presets for ReaComp aren't very good either, but a little tweaking works wonders.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 AM

Let me echo that no matter what DAW you choose you'd be well served by learning how to use the plugins you have before looking for new ones.

If you have time, this is a great book that will get you a long way there, and is includes a good primer on compression, reverb, EQ, all the things you need to know get good use out of any set of plugins: https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secret.../dp/0240815807

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD