The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Road Worn Concept

Hi,

My new Fender Road Worn Player Stratocaster HSS in Candy Apple Red arrived today. I wasn't really on board with the Road Worn concept. It had the pickups and the neck I wanted so I accepted the fact it was going to be Road Worn.
After I unpacked it, played it and saw it sitting on a stand something occurred to me. I am always so **** careful with my guitar so I don't damage it. All of my new guitars are pampered. Sometimes that is such a pain. I was relieved when I thought "geez, how am I going to know if I nicked it or it came from Fender that way?" So, I will be careful with it but if I nick it or scratch it, who cares.... And sitting on that stand it looks like an old friend. An old friend that sounds great.

The Texas Specials and the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate Humbuckers have a lot of tone. The neck and frets are great. I am very happy with it.

Rob

Art & Lutherie Cedar AMI
Breedlove Atlas Studio D25/SMe
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Martin 000-15M
Martin D-15M
Dad's Alvarez RD8
Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
.tom the übergeek

My main guitar is a Suhr Antique Medium Aged. It is a very freeing feeling to know you can just get up and play the snot out of it with no repercussions. It makes me a far more daring player both in note choice and body language (which in turn influences note choice and "attitude" when playing). For me, it is not about looks and all about feel.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM

A good guitar is a good guitar.

Two of my favorite guitars I bought used, one a few years old, one about 50. Both had their share of dings...I like that they're not "virgins." Let's me focus on playing, and that's always a good thing.

Enjoy your new strat...I played a few road worn teles a year or so ago and thought they were very well made.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 AM

I bought a new Fender Jazz Bass Relic in 1996.
It still looks like it did when it was new.
I can't tell if I have put any age on it all in 15 years.
Fender Blond Blues Junior Amp
Fender Custom Jazz Bass Relic
Ampeg B100R Rocket Bass Amp
GK 1001RB-II Bass Amp/410 Bass Cabinet
1965 Teisco Bass Guitar
Yamaha Tele Pacifica
Old cheap mandolin
Ukes
Old 10-15-2011, 07:37 AM

If the guitar (or any instrument, for that matter) has the playability and the sound you're seeking, that's about all that matters (imho)
The road-worn concept leave me cold, somewhat of a phony "patina"
Unlike a musician who gains experience (in other words "earns"), an instrument's prefabricated "experience" is "pretend"

The bottom line is the way your new guitar feels in your hands -- and it sounds like you have lucked into a great guitar!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:46 AM

I could never understand why one should pay extra money for a "roadworn" guitar. If I want Coca-Cola spilt on my guitar, or want it beat-up, I can do that myself. And it won't improve the resale value of it, either!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I could never understand why one should pay extra money for a "roadworn" guitar. If I want Coca-Cola spilt on my guitar, or want it beat-up, I can do that myself. And it won't improve the resale value of it, either!
I realize this thread is about electrics.........but I had someone inquire about me building a road worn acoustic for them. I told them I needed all the money up front, and the build, with the "road wearing" would take 10 years or so. I was lucky, this guy understood my sense of humor. He decided to commission a "non roadworn" Brackett, and do his own "Road Wearing", including Coke spitting.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM

The Road Worn concept is a very polarizing topic. Just look at the Telecaster Forum's (TDPRI) discussions on this.

I have a 50's sunburst RW Tele and absolutely love it! I also have a '52 Vintage Reissue Tele I bought new in 1983... it still looks new. I, too, pamper and protect my guitars. I play it a lot and apparently don't have toxic sweat... try as I might, I can't get it to wear. Probably a good thing.

I always have to chuckle when I read negative comments about Road Worns. Why don't people respond in the same way about Sunburst finishes on acoustics? They might say they don't like them but they don't become empassioned in their response. This thread wasn't too bad, but others become quite viscious. Just about every other NGD thread on this Forum has only positive, "enjoy your new guitar", responses. N "RW" GD threads always seem to have negative comments.

So, Rob... sounds like you got a real keeper and the fact that you worry less about nicking it is a plus, in my mind. Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification