The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Default acoustic guitar effects

Hi everybody! How do I know which effects pedals I can use with my acoustic guitar? From my understanding I cant use distortion because an acoustic guitar does not have pickups. I have an old Boss distortion that does not work with my setup. I know I can use the amp modeling multi effects (like Boss ME-70) but what about individual pedals?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 PM

from one newbie to another, welcome!
The acoustic guitar is a sonically rich and complex instrument, and the goal is usually to uncover and release the natural and pure acoustic tone that it already has rather than to cover or color it. That being the case, the fewer effects one can use to achieve a decent sound, the better. The more common effects to enhance your sound are reverb, delay, chorus, and combinations of those, and again, "less is more" generally speaking. I do play through an acoustic modeler (BOSS AD-8) sometimes, but again, I dial in as little effect as I need and no more.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 AM

A little reverb built into the amp is all I ever use.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstrummer View Post
That being the case, the fewer effects one can use to achieve a decent sound, the better.
I don't agree with that. Topic starter isn't looking for the best acoustic sound I think. Music is about creativity, combining different effects can give you a really original sound. Listen to Monte Montgomery for example.

I use a Boss GT-10 multi effect, it works great for me. I wouldn't go back to individual pedals as I use different settings all the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1234 View Post
Hi everybody! How do I know which effects pedals I can use with my acoustic guitar? From my understanding I cant use distortion because an acoustic guitar does not have pickups. . . . . . ?
You can use whatever effects you want, including distortion, because the signal from a piezo transducer can be modified by an effects pedal in exactly the same way as the signal from a magnetic pick up.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Why would you want to add distortion to your acoustic? If your guitar does not have electronics on it, you will have to capture it with a mic. Sorry but I'm a bit confused by the question. Provided that you can have the sound of your guitar in a cable, you can use any effect you want to produce the hearing you want.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I have an Epiphone SST studio that I want to be able to get a lot of sounds out of. I can't afford another guitar right now. If I join a band, maybe a cover band, that guitar will have to cover a lot of ground.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

You can definitely use any effects you want with it. Play with your Boss Distortion and see if you can get a sound you like with that. If you have the ME70 (I know you mentioned it), try that too. I used to do a lot with an Ovation Balladeer, a full pedalboard, and an electric guitar amp. You can get some unique and whacky sounds using a setup like that. Experiment! Have fun! Definitely post if you find something cool and you want to share
Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM

Maybe my old distortion pedal is just broke. I had been borrowing someone's ME-70 and that did work. I might just end up getting the ME-25. Plus I think I could plug those directly into a PA if I wanted although I do have a Fishman Loudbox performer.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYCG5wZ9op8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRv4...eature=related

(John Martyn).

Louis
Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 AM

Check out the swedish band Johnossi - one guitarist who uses Lag acoustics and a drummer. And a truck loud of distortion. I was working the venue when they gigged at our theatre and can tell you that the on-stage volume was stupidly loud and painful, and he didn't get feedback from his guitars (I think he had sound hole covers but not entirely sure...).

You can use whatever you like to get the results you want.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM

I also have the SST (the older, Chet Atkins signature version). It is versatile, since you can get an acoustic-like tone, but also add distortion and other effects and it's not prone to feedback and won't look strange on stage since many people looking at it will think it's an electric anyway. The SST's piezo won't give you the flexibility of effects sounds possible from a good magnetic pickup (since that's what they are mostly designed for), but amp modeling does help. As it's been said there is no right or wrong sound, just what you like - so tweak and experiment. I myself am currently travelling the other direction on that highway and pursuing a more authentic acoustic sound, but we can wave to each other as we pass!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Decided to order the Zoom G3! Surely I can get plenty of sounds out of that.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 AM

Me personally, I like reverb and delay. They open up otherwise compressed amplified tone.

That said, I watched a special with Rodigues Y Gabriela last night; a great guitar duo who plays Rock and Latin infused nylon string. In one song he used a phazer or flanger (not sure which), but I sounded great and added a lot of dimension to the piece.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Default TC Electronic

I'll be trying out the TC Electronic NM-1 "Nova Modulator" unit -- if I have the name right -- from my local music store soon, when they get it in. I've tried a few other multi-fx units lately, including the Zoom A2, which didn't work for me, and this TC unit seems to have pretty much just what I'm looking for, with the simplicity and quality I'm looking for. Chorus, phaser, tremolo, flanger, and vibrato, all mixable and programmable, of course. Here's Sweetwater's info on it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NM1/

Lots of choices, that's for sure!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification