The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-17-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Can you help me pick a resonator guitar??

I have been wanting one of these for a while to play the blues. My wife is getting me one for my birthday. So we have decided to order one online without playing it first becasue our local stores don't have any.

It seems like the following models get the best reviews and are in the price range I am looking for:

Fender FR50 (or FR50ce)
Regal RC-2 Duolian
Regal RD-75 roundneck

Can you guys share your thoughts or knowledge on these (or others) to help me make a good decision. I believe that I would prefer a round neck and intend to use for finger-picking and some slide. Is amplification necessary? Can you describe the difference in tone between the all steel models and those made from wood?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Just a guy who loves to play guitar!

Last edited by Daveman; 09-17-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:53 PM

A lot of the budget resonators out there today are fairly similar, and all are decent quality. Unfortunately, they all suffer from the same malady - a poor cone. I was looking for a decent roundneck and a good friend of mine, a Nashville session musician, recommended a Regal RD-45 with a quarterman cone upgrade. He recommended the folks at www.folkofthewood.com and they were able to give me a great deal on one they had there and they installed the new cone. Sounds awesome. The occassionally have a nice used one or two as well (as they seem to now), and these sometime have a hard case already.

If you want to know more about the quarterman cone and the difference in tone, go here for some video clips http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2483.htm

Can't tell you much about the difference in tone, only that I was looking for a roundneck to mess with and I couldn't be happier.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments