The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Default What do you think?

Hey all...One of my long time goals is to do some recording (solo acoustic guitar) and here is the set up I’ looking at:

Mac Book Pro (Garage Band)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2 SM81’s
2 Rokit 5 G3 Monitors
Sennhieser 280 Headphones

The mics are somewhat on the high side....do you have suggestions for something more economical with similar quality?

Other suggestions or recommendations?

I want to keep this simple but put together a nice set up.

Thanks everyone!!

MF
Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

That's a well balanced basic setup. Yes, there are less expensive SD mics, but the Shure SM-81 is a tried and true performer. Most importantly, the SM81 has a flat response which is rare in the less expensive mics.

Also, you would not be limited to using Garageband as your DAW. Other inexpensive DAWs are available, such as Reaper.

Finally, a few other items should be included in your budget — an adequate two-tier table to allow proper placement of your computer and monitors, mic stands, cabling and possible room treatment.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore-fiend View Post
Hey all...One of my long time goals is to do some recording (solo acoustic guitar) and here is the set up I’ looking at:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2 SM81’s
2 Rokit 5 G3 Monitors

The mics are somewhat on the high side....do you have suggestions for something more economical with similar quality?

Thanks everyone!!

MF
That is a solid setup.

I wouldn't go any cheaper than the SM-81s. The problem with going cheaper is that you make recording a lot harder for yourself because then you need expensive preamps to make those cheap mics sound anywhere close to good. So you can spring for the SM-81s or go cheaper and set aside about $3k for an API 3124 or similar.

In all seriousness though, if you want good results don't buy cheap gear. Even if it means saving a little longer to get the right stuff. Cheap is expensive in the long run.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 08-12-2018, 12:19 PM

Thank You!!

I’ll stay with the shure mics.....this is going to be a fun journey.

I’m practicing A LOT more knowing the gear is on the way!!

MF
Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 PM

Update: I got everything on the list except cables. Can anyone recommend what I would need from the sm81’s to the focusrite & from the focusrite to the monitors?

What brand cable is best?

Thanks everyone!!

MF

Quote:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2 SM81’s
2 Rokit 5 G3 Monitors

Thanks everyone!!

MF
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update: I got everything on the list except cables. Can anyone recommend what I would need from the sm81’s to the focusrite & from the focusrite to the monitors?

Thanks everyone!!

MF
There is much snake oil out there when it comes to cabling. Of course, some cables are very well built, in terms of durability, and last for years and years of plugging in and unplugging, movement during use, being wrapped up and unwrapped after and before gigs, being stepped on, etc. But the cables you will be using will be fairly static, particularly the monitor cables. They will have an easy life.

There are differences in quality of the connectors and wiring used in cables also, but most cables pass the same exact electrical signal regardless of whether the wire is copper (inexpensive) or silver (very expensive). Some cabling wire is very good at reducing RF noise, such as Canare Star Quad and if your studio is located in a place susceptible to radio interference they can be very helpful in reducing noise. Most three-wire balanced cabling is good at doing this too.

Still, purchasing well made cables if probably a good idea, particularly since you need only four. I would suggest you buy them in pairs of the same length, i.e., each monitor cable is, say, 6 feet. Same for the mic cables, the length of which depends on how far your mics will be from your interface (with some extra length to place them out of the way). Perhaps 20 feet each for those.

All of your cables will be balanced cables. The mic cables will have XLRM and XLRF connectors. The monitor cable ends can vary depending on (i) the monitor out jacks from your interface, and (ii) the monitor input jacks on your monitors. They could be TRS-TRS, TRS-XLRM, XLRF-TRS or XLRM-XLRF. Make sure the cables you get have the correct connectors.

Finally, the cables you want will have different signal strengths (i.e., voltages) running through them, with the mic cable transmitting quite low signal voltages along with higher phantom voltage and the monitor cable transmitting higher voltage line level signals. Fortunately, what are called "balanced mic cables" and "balanced patch cables" can handle either job.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone!!

MF
For cables, Monoprice.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:00 AM

For anybody else reading, you can go cheaper than the SM81s. Rode NT-5 and Oktava MK-012. If you wanna go really cheap, you can look at Line Audio CM3.

I chose the Oktava MK-012s, they're a little beefier sounding than the SM81s.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Thank You Everyone!!

I ended up with Pro Co cables.....here Tuesday. Cant wait to get everything hooked up.

MF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD