The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Takamine CTP2 and K&K Silver Bullet

I've added a K&K Silver Bullet microphone to my nylon string Takamine guitar:
- Guitar preamp's output (Cool Tube CTP2) goes to the 1st channel of the amp through the Takamine's "native" 1/4" jack and mono cable.
- Microphone's output goes to the 2nd channel's XLR jack (w. 12v phantom power) on my amp through the separate 1/4 jack & 1/4"-to-XLR cable.

My first impressions are:

- the sound from the microphone is VERY natural (esp. in comparison with the "plastic" sound of the pickup). I am very satisfied (with some caveats below :-) )
- the signal from the microphone is HOT. I had to dial the volume on the 2nd channel down to the minimum.
- there is too much low frequencies in the microphone's output. Amp's EQ didn't help.

Now I am looking for ideas for the next steps.

1) Should I lower the overall level of the signal first (by using a mic preamp with pad function - my amp doesn't have one), add an extra EQ to the signal chain, or do both?
2) My guitar already has a good onboard preamp for its pickup. In addition to that, my Genz-Benz amp has a detachable head that can be used as a standalone Preamp/DI. I am not sure whether "preamping" the pickup for the 2nd time makes sence and worths the money. Should I look at 2-channel blending preamp (Solstice, AP13 etc) or just add a decent 1-channel mic preamp in this case?
3) I would like to protect a (1.5-9v) microphone from 48v phantom power, but to keep ability to power it up from 9-18v guitar preamps. Is it enough just to add a Zener diode w. appropriate voltage between the tip and sleeve connectors on the microphone 1/4" jack? Does it have any impact on sound quality?

Thanks!
Vladimir

Last edited by vbakh; 10-13-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Saturday bump.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

When are the two signals blended together? I ask this because if you want to adjust the mic, either in terms of volume or eq, this should be done before the pickup signal and the mic signal are mixed together.

It doesn't take a bunch of gear to do what you want. It just requires the proper topology and features.

I use a pickup and condenser mic with my guitar. The key elements are separate gain for each source prior to mixing are adequate and versatile eq for each source prior to mixing. Doing this with proper signal hygiene and quality gear pretty much guaranties a quality sound.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 10-15-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM

As of today, they are coming to two different channels on the amp. Gain and EQ settings are per channel, then two signals gets blended, and mix goes through effects unit and then goes to the output.

Last edited by vbakh; 10-15-2011 at 09:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification