The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Can i upgrade from LR Baggs element VTC to Anthem?

Hi
I've got a HD-28 that I just love acoustically but the baggs element vtc in it just doesn't do it justice. With my BBX sonic maximiser I can get a nice sound but I realise that a dual source pickup is the best option and have heard amazing reviews of the baggs anthem system. I also noticed that that system is an element pickup combined with a mic, so I'm wondering is it possible to 'upgrade' my element system to an Anthem system? Has anyone done it?

I'll shoot off an email to LR Baggs too but thought I'd see if anyone on here has tried it or knows anything.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM

I've read several times that Baggs says you can't use an exiting Element pickup to upgrade to the Anthem (note that the stand alone Elements are usually/always hard wired to the preamp).

In my opinion, this probably isn't that big of a deal. First off, the pickup itself is probably very inexpensive, so it probably wouldn't save much money it you could do this. Plus, if you've already got an Element installed, the hard work (drilling the hole in the saddle slot and the hole for the endpin jack) is already done. It's very simple to remove an Element and replace it with an Anthem.

For what it's worth, if you like USTs, but want one with less quack than the Element, you might want to consider a D-TAR Wavelength. It uses the same pickup as the Element, but with a higher headroom preamp. The swap is very easy. I did this on one guitar and the quack is 99% gone, plus the dynamic range is greatly increased (harder strumming = louder, not more quack or a compressed result).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification