The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-21-2018, 06:57 AM

Default G and L Bluesboy

Today's Stupid Deal of the Day at MusiciansFriend is a pretty import Bluesboy guitar...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stup...=2121577_29216
Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 AM

How is this compared to epiphone lp standard or mim fender tele?
Anyone played all those?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:40 AM

I own one and it is one of the best sounding and feeling imports I have ever laid my hands on.

Extremely versatile. Tele twang at the bridge. Strat glassiness in middle position and LP growl at the neck. My favorite guitar in the house.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 AM

That's an excellent deal. This guitar seems to hit the SDOTD every month.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I got that exact SDOTD (same guitar, same price) maybe six weeks ago, and so far I am liking it a lot.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:23 PM

Those are great guitars at a fantastic price.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I got that exact SDOTD (same guitar, same price) maybe six weeks ago, and so far I am liking it a lot.
Sweet. If I lived in the US I think I'd buy one of the SDOTD items a few times a year.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 PM

I have the Trans Orange one. I bought (stole) it used in mint condition for $225 at a local shop. Heck, I paid that much recently for used Zildjian K Custom ride cymbal. It was in never played, ie MINT, condition. I love this guitar. Paired up with my Hot Rod DeVille, it's does everything I need it to for what I like to play. I gigged with an LP and a Strat back in the day. I love the neck pickup on this thing. I might replace the bridge PU. Not enough twang for me (sorry Leo). This is my only complaint. I take that back, I have a two complaints. The individual bridge saddle height set screws need to be locktite treated. They work loose and buzz.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet. If I lived in the US I think I'd buy one of the SDOTD items a few times a year.
I think they've had about a dozen different colors or variants of the Tribute tele as the SDOTD--would have made a great collection!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I think they've had about a dozen different colors or variants of the Tribute tele as the SDOTD--would have made a great collection!
I agree. I saw the Tribute ASAT Ash on STOTD a few weeks ago. That's the one I would want. I don't own a Tele so my first Tele or Tele-type guitar would need to have single coils.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:27 PM

I was about to order one and saw it has a super narrow nut so I talked myself out of it
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM

That sort of thing, informally a "Fat Tele," is very versatile. Some variation of that would be my choice if I had to make do with one electric guitar. I love the sound of a neck humbucker sometimes. I love the sound of a traditional Telecaster single coil. With this scheme, I have both. And using pickup heights to balance the sound, you can get a nice two pickup combination sound.

Like the post just above mine, I noted a slightly narrower nut on this model. I consider that a small negative. As with acoustic guitars, I think that makes clean cross-picking or fingerpicking left-left hand fingerings more difficult when your are changing the fingering one or two fingers at a time in the cowboy chord area of the first three frets, but it really doesn't have much impact on single note "lead guitar" playing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
I was about to order one and saw it has a super narrow nut so I talked myself out of it
I drove myself crazy looking for a cheap Tele with a wide nut, and eventually gave up looking all together.

Then this one (G & L Tribute Blues Boy) showed up as the SDOTD a few weeks back, and I decided to go for it, not even realising how narrow the nut was, and I am glad I did, because I am adapting to the narrow nut just fine.

My only other guitar (electric or acoustic) is a The Loar LO-16, and it has a 1.75 inch nut, but it also has a very wide 2 and 5/16 inch bridge spacing, so it's tight on the Tele, in comparison, getting my picking hand in there (pure fingerstyle--I don't even own a pick or a thumbpick), but again, I'm adapting to it.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:14 PM

I see they have another one today, ash body natural finish for 299

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars