The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2023, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Build Thread: Buendia OM Cutaway Multiscale Adi/Hog

I met Leo Buendia in 2016 before the SBAIC show. He's local to my area, and he was just finishing up his apprenticeship with Ervin, if memory serves. He's always been very generous with his time and has become a great friend over the years. I've played 5 or 6 Buendias over the years and have been consistently impressed. Although they are a pretty significant departure from my usual tastes (traditional, dry guitars), I have observed that his guitars are the most Martin-esque of the Somogynistas I have played. Do I want another Martin-style guitar? After my Circas and other traditional guitars, probably not. I have that sound covered from just about every conceivable perspective. With the Buendia, I'm really wanting something well outside the box I'm used to. Fortunately, I've played enough Buendias at this point to know with some certainty just what I'm in for.

I remember stopping by Leo's shop when he finished the adi/mahogany guitar he ultimately displayed at SBAIC, and I remember hearing just how much a guitar can change in the first hours after being strung up. I think when I laid hands on the guitar, it had only gotten strings that day, and I was basically the first play it. The dramatic change that took place in the first 30 minutes of playing was hard to describe. Suffice it to say that it was a totally different guitar by the time I left Leo's shop that day. By the time it reached SBAIC as a show piece, it was quite impressive. I had the following to say at the time:

"I played this guitar extensively at SBAIC. One of my favorite at the show for sure. Huge bass, lovely mids and trebles. A very balanced guitar. And of course exquisitely beautiful. I was especially impressed by the complexity in the mid range and high notes. The upper mids were clear as a bell. The tone was on the dry side of the spectrum, but tremendously sophisticated with a wonderful musicality. I expect as the adi-topped guitar ages that notes will bloom even more than they already do. There will be no shortage of power and glorious tone. A total masterpiece, Leo! Thank you for sharing it with us."

By the time SBAIC came to a close in 2016, I had commissioned a guitar from Leo. Life came along and Leo graciously allowed me to delay (long story, I will spare the details except that Leo probably helped more than he should have). I have had the opportunity to play new Buendias every once in a while, including a breathtaking 00 he made for my good friend Jason Choi, who has since passed away. Jason absolutely loved that guitar, and his widow, Joan, is keeping it for his kids. Jason's guitar was incredible, and I decided to use a sister set of flamed mahogany for my own guitar. I will treasure visiting Leo with Jason and hearing that guitar for the first time. I sure do miss Jason.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=516315&page=4

I also got a chance to play a Brazilian OM from our own Diamond Dave maybe at the second SBAIC show? Another stellar guitar, though the French polish made me nervous! And with my fingerpicks thrashing around near DD's top, I'm sure he was nervous as well.

Anyway, Leo has been warning me my slot is coming, and now the time is finally here. I visited his shop last week, talked over some details, and enjoyed a pre-holiday lunch with the man himself. Some 7.5 years have passed since we first met. Wow, the time really flew.

The build is underway. Here are the details.

Body: OM, cutaway
Top: Red spruce
Back and Sides: Flamed mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Bridge: Ebony
Scale length: 25-26" multi-scale, 7th fret parallel
Nut width: 1 3/4"
Saddle spacing: 2 5/16"
Tuners: Possibly Rodgers
Frets: EVO Gold 55090 if we can get it (otherwise Nickel 55090)
Accents: Green inlays, possibly with a carving on the end graft and headstock. We'll see.
Case: Hoffee Super Cancer, green exterior color to match the inlays, gold interior

Old 12-27-2023, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Congrats… (following)
Old 12-28-2023, 06:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have really enjoyed your build threads and look forward to seeing this one progress. So sorry about the loss of your friend. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. Dave
Old 12-28-2023, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

This is spectacular news, Juston!! I am so happy for you and Leo both. No lo maltrates, que le tengo mucho cariño, ok?

A fiddleback mahogany 00 that Leo built in 2018 is one of the very best guitars I’ve ever played. You’ve chosen well.

I eagerly await updates on your build, dude!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-28-2023, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Looks like it's going to be a gem, Juston!

What the story with the EVO frets? Have they gone out of business?
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
2021 Suhr Classic T HS
Old 12-28-2023, 11:29 AM

Congrats, I am sure it will be outstanding.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm looking forward to following along with this build Juston. I'm sorry to hear about your friend Jason's passing. I was able to play his 00 when Leo displayed it at the 2018 Woodstock show and it was outstanding. A day later at Woodstock I purchased a Tyler Robbins R.1ca guitar which was also made using a set of "The Fiddleback Tree" mahogany that Hibdon Hardwoods quickly sold out of.

You're in great hands with Leo. If you have the opportunity, since you're in the same area as Leo's workshop, I hope you'll get to check out the BRW and Tree Mahogany OM's that he is building concurrent with your OM and share how the sound of each of those compare.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Leo's work is so striking! Congrats on the build. I am especially fond of how he builds color into his accents.

Curious on your case - is "Hoffee Super Cancer" a typo? Or are you referring to the sometimes strong offgassing from the inside?
Old 12-28-2023, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats… (following)
Thanks! Second to post, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
I have really enjoyed your build threads and look forward to seeing this one progress. So sorry about the loss of your friend. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. Dave
Thanks, looking forward to getting started. My little nod to Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
This is spectacular news, Juston!! I am so happy for you and Leo both. No lo maltrates, que le tengo mucho cariño, ok?

A fiddleback mahogany 00 that Leo built in 2018 is one of the very best guitars I’ve ever played. You’ve chosen well.

I eagerly await updates on your build, dude!
Thanks for the kind words, Deft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfarhadi View Post
Looks like it's going to be a gem, Juston!

What the story with the EVO frets? Have they gone out of business?
Jescar stopped producing them because the alloy supplier no longer makes the alloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats, I am sure it will be outstanding.
Thanks, B'Sox!
Old 12-28-2023, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
I'm looking forward to following along with this build Juston. I'm sorry to hear about your friend Jason's passing. I was able to play his 00 when Leo displayed it at the 2018 Woodstock show and it was outstanding. A day later at Woodstock I purchased a Tyler Robbins R.1ca guitar which was also made using a set of "The Fiddleback Tree" mahogany that Hibdon Hardwoods quickly sold out of.

You're in great hands with Leo. If you have the opportunity, since you're in the same area as Leo's workshop, I hope you'll get to check out the BRW and Tree Mahogany OM's that he is building concurrent with your OM and share how the sound of each of those compare.
Yep, I'll probably get a chance to try those others. Glad you got a chance to play Jason's 00. It was a special one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Leo's work is so striking! Congrats on the build. I am especially fond of how he builds color into his accents.

Curious on your case - is "Hoffee Super Cancer" a typo? Or are you referring to the sometimes strong offgassing from the inside?
Not a typo. I own a bunch of Hoffee cases, all of them many years old. Some of them no longer have an odor. Some still smell terrible. Not a fan of any off gassing and think they could be better made.
Old 12-28-2023, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, you certainly won’t be disappointed. Leo is a wonderful person and a tremendous luthier. I played Jason’s 00 in Leo’s shop when it had just been built and I remember thinking it was the best guitar I had ever played. It brought tears to my eyes. Leo is building me one like it in a couple years.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Juston,

When Leo built my Brazilian Jumbo back in 2017, and I announced that my review of it was now available on my website, you were the first to comment.

I'm thrilled that you're finally having Leo build you one also and I'll be following every post of the process! How many frets to the body? I see you spec'd ebony for the bridge. Ask Leo how a Brazilian bridge might affect the tone.

I'll be eagerly watching this magnificence take shape...

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 12-28-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Frets: EVO Gold 55090 if we can get it (otherwise Nickel 55090)
The Jescar website shows the 55090 EVOgold as still being in stock.

Tommy
Old 12-28-2023, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I have had the opportunity to play new Buendias every once in a while, including a breathtaking 00 he made for my good friend Jason Choi, who has since passed away. Jason absolutely loved that guitar, and his widow, Joan, is keeping it for his kids. Jason's guitar was incredible, and I decided to use a sister set of flamed mahogany for my own guitar. I will treasure visiting Leo with Jason and hearing that guitar for the first time. I sure do miss Jason.
This is so cool. Wow. Beautiful tribute!!
Old 12-28-2023, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Oh man, I'm really looking forward to watching this one come together!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop