The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2023, 09:57 PM

Default Jim Dandy (Gin Rickey) vs Recording King vs ?

I was planning on getting one of those Gin Rickey’s. I tried one at a store and it sounded pretty cool and I like those parlor guitars (and the pickup looks sweet too). I know there’s some other styles out there but I’ll probably not find them locally. Curious what everyone thinks of the options, especially considering this guitar is under 300 bucks?
Old 02-20-2023, 08:40 AM

We wanted a Jim for a camping guitar a couple years ago, but Sweetwater was out of them at that time, so we got an Ibanez parlor (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ral-high-gloss), which was a bit cheaper. No pickup on the Ibanez, though.

It definitely needed a setup. I think it sounds better than the Jims, now that I've tried a few, though that's a matter of taste. The tuners on the Ibanez are kinda cruddy, but they hold OK once you get them to the right place.

D.H.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:58 AM

I bought one about 10 months ago and really enjoy it.

I initially purchased it to be my camping/rv guitar but found that I really enjoyed playing that little thing!

Will it make you forget your more expensive guitars, probably not, but it is capable of making music that anyone can enjoy! It sounds very good plugged in also.

Mine came ready to play right out if the box, which surprised me! There were no obvious defects. The satin finish was well done and no sharp fret ends.

If something were to happen to this guitar, I would buy another.

If you get the chance to try one, give it a go!
Old 02-20-2023, 11:12 AM

Talking

Picked up an "Oxblood, Jim Dandy" a few years ago. Great little box to play with. Built like a tank....very heavy for a small size. Great to knock around with...and no fear of scuffing it up! Just be aware that it is all laminate....
Old 02-20-2023, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I played one of the Recording Kings at Guitar Center and liked it. It was used and only around $90. it was fun to play and sounded decent. None of these are great sounding, so the neck and setup are almost more important.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I bought one about 10 months ago and really enjoy it.

I initially purchased it to be my camping/rv guitar but found that I really enjoyed playing that little thing!

Will it make you forget your more expensive guitars, probably not, but it is capable of making music that anyone can enjoy! It sounds very good plugged in also.

Mine came ready to play right out if the box, which surprised me! There were no obvious defects. The satin finish was well done and no sharp fret ends.

If something were to happen to this guitar, I would buy another.

If you get the chance to try one, give it a go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I played one of the Recording Kings at Guitar Center and liked it. It was used and only around $90. it was fun to play and sounded decent. None of these are great sounding, so the neck and setup are almost more important.
They definitely have a sound. I pretty much exclusively play classic blues so that’s “the sound.” I’ve only played one acoustically and thought it was cool, but the pickup intrigued me. I’ve heard it’s pretty similar to the one guys like Elmore James used and what not. Sounds like for the price it’s more crazy to not get one!
Old 02-20-2023, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I helped a beginner friend pick out a guitar a couple years ago and she settled on the Jim Dandy. She has very small hands, so it suits her well and she likes it quite a bit. I’m not that impressed, but it only cost $189, so for the price it’s a decent guitar. Could be a fun a little instrument for you.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I used a Jim Dandy on a couple of songs on my most recent album. It worked great for what I needed. I changed out the nut and saddle to bone and set it up and put new strings on it. It's a fun little guitar!
Old 02-20-2023, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I have a "Nocturnal Blue" Jim Dandy, it's a surprisingly cool, good sounding, fun guitar. Gretsch knows how to make a cheap guitar sound good. I've had a number of Recording Kings, I really like the Jim Dandy.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:09 PM

I tried both the Jim Dandy and the Recording King Single 0 and opted for the Recording King (with the cool little pickup). I'm sure I had a good reason for that choice in my head at the time, but I couldn't tell you now what it might have been. Either would have done the job for me. I've replaced the tuners with a set of open-gear tuners from Amazon. I don't think you can really wrong with either in that price range.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:02 PM

There is a guy on youtube that modifies these little blues guitars . You can buy the Jim Dandy for 150.00 buy a humbucker pickup on Amazon for less then 50.00
Or buy the Recording King pickup for 50.00 and the chrome tailpiece 7.00 and they look pretty cool. But beware that Jim Dandy you can’t play past the 12thfret .
I am building one a Fender CP60.better then both of the Gretsch and RC . If you call your order into GC they are 169.00 plus the RC humbucker 49.99 and the chrome tail piece 7.00 and it gives you that funky old time blues sound .
Old 02-26-2023, 10:07 AM

I have a Jim Dandy and a Art Lutherie Roadhouse(double the price), both are great, the Roadhouse has a fuller sound, which one sounds better is just opinion.
Just to note I installed the Gretsch Deltoluxe pickup on the Jim Dandy, The Gin Rickey has the same pickup but its literally screwed into the top, buying a separate Deltoluxe pu is just clamped in and gives some position adjustment, youll just need to drill an output hole, and if you wanted to remove it you can without leaving screw holes in the top.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:37 PM

I was trying to decide between a Jim Dandy and a Recording King Dirty 30's (aka RPS-7) a couple years ago and lucked into a shop that had both in stock. That's rare in my neck of the woods. Most shops will opt to carry one or the other.

After doing the ol' A/B direct comparison between the two, it's Recording King that came home with me. I thought it had just a slightly deeper, clearer tone, probably the result of having a spruce top versus the Gretsch's basswood.

I'm a big Gretsch fan and was actually surprised by my decision, but the ears don't lie.

I've toyed with the idea of dropping a Deltoluxe pickup into it, but so far haven't. I bought it as knock-around beach/campout type thing. The idea of lugging around an amp with it sort defeats the purpose.

btw, the nut's not glued in, the fretmarkers are silkscreened on, and you'll never forget you're playing a cheap guitar. But that's all part of the vibe. I'm actually pretty happy with it.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:51 PM

Those little guitars are fun to use for roots blues . You can drive them and the sound decays quick . Not like a good full size guitar . I have the little fender and went on eBay and bought a gold foil pickup 15.00 and it becomes a little blues box .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion