The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Default NGD - Gibson J-45 Vintage 2018

Howdy everyone! I've been playing/shopping J-45s for the last several months. My local shop specializes in vintage guitars (Chicago Music Exchange in Chicago) and about 6 weeks ago I thought I found 'The One', which was a 1967 J-45 in that cherry burst color I LOVE so much. Well, a few days after buying, I took it to my luthier for a pickup install and basic setup, and I was told the truss rod was shot Luckily, CME excels at customer service and they allowed me to return the guitar no questions asked.

This situation basically scared me off from vintage so I started looking at new ones. However, all of the standard models I played just didn't have the tone I desired. Then I stumbled upon the J-45 Vintage at CME. After playing it, I fell in love with the tone. I then came home and spent the last week reading about torrefaction. The one thing this J-45 Vintage was missing, was that classic cherry burst color. My local shop suggested I could do a custom order through them. However, the issue was that due to the torrefaction process, the color would not come out like I would expect from those mid-60s J-45s. Because the wood darkens from the process, the burst would end up with a more faded look, similar to this Hummingbird. Between that and there being no guarantee on the tone, I decided the custom option was too risky. So last night, I pulled the trigger on the one I played last week. Even better, is that I was able to obtain the guitar for $3,600 (down from a list price of $4,700) plus tax with a lifetime warranty. I've never purchased a brand new guitar, so the lifetime warranty is pretty cool!

So with that, I present you with my new baby that will nicely complement my 2002 Advanced Jumbo. Here are pictures of my new Gibson J-45 Vintage.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the final decision. This thread was a big help!

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

That’s terrific, congratulations. Very nice guitar and a great story. Have fun.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Big CONGRATS!

Looks nice.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Spectacular score Rhythmdoctor! Beautifully classic. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you wanted a cherryburst. But to me, the sunburst J45 is CLASSIC and always looks GREAT!

I have a pending NGD up my sleeve as well. But it won't be until the end of the week.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Congrats! J-45s of any variety are uniquely wonderful guitars.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM

I believe I played that very guitar last week. I'm also a CME customer. I was actually considering purchasing it. Glad you beat me to it.

Of course, I also have my eye on another SJ model at the shop that also blew my socks off. :-)

Congrats on a truly amazing guitar. You made the right decision. Always buy the actual guitar you auditioned. A custom order is often a crap shoot.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I believe I played that very guitar last week. I'm also a CME customer. I was actually considering purchasing it. Glad you beat me to it.

Of course, I also have my eye on another SJ model at the shop that also blew my socks off. :-)

Congrats on a truly amazing guitar. You made the right decision. Always buy the actual guitar you auditioned. A custom order is often a crap shoot.
Nice! I probably played that same SJ which also sounded incredible! Which Carl are you working with there? Carl K has been awesome although the other Carl is great too. Carl K has the same ear as I do though, whenever he says 'try this one' I know it's going to sound great! Have you tried that 1959 J-50 they have? If not, you should. It might be the best sounding Sitka/Hog Dread they have at the moment.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Gorgeous guitar. Love the old timey vibe you get from those Gibson bursts.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
So last night, I pulled the trigger on the one I played last week. Even better, is that I was able to obtain the guitar for $3,600 (down from a list price of $4,700) plus tax with a lifetime warranty. I've never purchased a brand new guitar, so the lifetime warranty is pretty cool!
Awesome RD, you did great! Nice looking guitar and your bargaining skills are to be commended

Play it in good health.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

What a beauty...love the Kluson tuners!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Seeing this makes me weak.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:40 PM

I just want to add... I know there's been a ton of discussion and debate over the uncertainty of torrefaction. I don't know how these guitars will hold up over 10, 20, 30 years, BUT, I do know tone and I personally love deep/rich sounding dreads. I've played 100s of dreads and my main player (until now) is a 2002 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I've played most of the top brands and models and this J-45 Vintage is fricking STELLAR in the tone department. Put it this way, I was DEAD SET on buying an actual vintage J-45 but when I played this guy, my whole tune changes (<< no pun intended). If tone is what you desire, I highly suggest everyone play these new Vintage models. They really do sound amazing. Hopefully the torrefaction top stands the test of time.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Congrats, sounds like an awesome guitar. Good to hear that Bozeman is still building some good stuff.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Good work!

A great sounding guitar in the hands is worth two (at least) in the custom shop.

Enjoy and play on!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
I just want to add... I know there's been a ton of discussion and debate over the uncertainty of torrefaction. I don't know how these guitars will hold up over 10, 20, 30 years, BUT, I do know tone and I personally love deep/rich sounding dreads. I've played 100s of dreads and my main player (until now) is a 2002 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I've played most of the top brands and models and this J-45 Vintage is fricking STELLAR in the tone department. Put it this way, I was DEAD SET on buying an actual vintage J-45 but when I played this guy, my whole tune changes (<< no pun intended). If tone is what you desire, I highly suggest everyone play these new Vintage models. They really do sound amazing. Hopefully the torrefaction top stands the test of time.
Fortunately their haven't been too many postings reporting guitar explosions from torrefaction. I have a thermo cured Huss & Dalton and have played a couple of great True Vintage J-45's. Enjoy your new guitar for many decades!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion