The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor gonzo View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I’d probably like to have the gs mini and the j35 but is the gs mini too big for a 6.5 yr old? That’s why I thought of the little Martin.
Doc, if you are worried about size, then a baritone ukulele would be the answer until he grows a bit. It's tuned DGBE just like the high four strings on guitar, so the skills and chord shapes mostly transfer when he moves to six strings. Decent baritones are everywhere for under $150 - or less. Mine cost about $80, but it isn't my primary ukulele.

We have owned two GS Mini's (one spruce top, one mahogany top) which my 5'-4" wife liked, but she has replaced them with a 24" scale carbon fiber guitar - an Emerald X7. I found the 23.5" scale of the GS Mini to be pretty tight for my paws. I'm ok with 24", but 23.5" is a step too far - for me.

My parlor guitar is a Teton STP180, which cost about $500 new. For a small comfy guitar, I like it a LOT.
https://tetonguitars.com/product/stp...-teton-guitar/
Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RILEY31 View Post
My daughter has a GS Mini and I have both a J-15 and a J-45 and the GS Mini sounds very weak and thin compared to the larger guitars, but the Taylor was a great guitar for my daughter to learn on but lately she has been playing my J-15 but she is 15 years old.

VERY weak and thin? Somehow I find that very doubtful. I own a GS Mini nd played Gibson slope-shouldered guitars a lot. Of course, a bigger guitar like a J15 or J45 will have more bass, but in terms of projection and even "thickness," a GS Mini is up there. At least my Koa is
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I’d probably like to have the gs mini and the j35 but is the gs mini too big for a 6.5 yr old? That’s why I thought of the little Martin.

Kids grow, you know
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Considering a little Martin for the kids. Have been impressed with the gs mini but it’s hard to tell in a shop. It would be more comfortable than the j35 and also an option as the kids get bigger. I only play at home. Would the gs mini suffice or do you think I would long for a full size? Does anyone have the gs mini as their main guitar?

Based on what I think you need, it wouldn't matter that much, but, as a huge fan of GS Minis, I think you're on the right path. GS Minis are way versatile, regardless of wood combinations. It CAN be a main gig guitar or it can be a perfect "go have fun and nothing else" guitar.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if the OP is still looking but you might also consider the Martin D Jr. I have one (have had GS mini's too) and it's a slightly scaled down version of a Martin dreadnought. It's not fancy but it's got wonderful tone and it's comparable in dimensions to the mini.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM

The GS Mini is excellent, and IMO would suit your needs as a home guitar just fine. I have been impressed with every one I have encountered, and think they provide a tremendous value. However, just like others have said, only you can decide!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 AM

I had a GS Mini for a while and gave it away for free. The J-35 can be a magnificent instrument; I would hate to think you would have to step down from it. One of my fondest childhood memories was wrapping my arms around a full size guitar; it’s amazing what kids can do and learn on.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
..but in terms of projection and even "thickness," a GS Mini is up there. At least my Koa is
I agree.
My GS Mini mahogany has great tone and projection.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:56 AM

Talking

Thanks again everybody. Sorry not been on for a while. Sold the little tanglewood and bought a brand new in box gs mini walnut off ebay for a reasonable price.
No doubt it is a wonderful little guitar but it turns out its a little too big for my son and now ive had chance to play it side by side with my gibson in the comfort of my own home, to me, it couldnt replace it, even for home use. Great guitar tho. So now i have a brand new gs mini for sale!
Will be replacing the gs mini with something smaller. Maybe the little martin, unless there are better, cheaper options.
Will either keep the gibson or replace it with a cheaper 000/00 for comfort if i can find something that sounds at least nearly as good. There is an eastman e1om that looks quite good. Anybody tried these?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Kids grow, think longer term for that kind of purchase, what will they want to play in High School.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks again everybody. Sorry not been on for a while. Sold the little tanglewood and bought a brand new in box gs mini walnut off ebay for a reasonable price.
No doubt it is a wonderful little guitar but it turns out its a little too big for my son and now ive had chance to play it side by side with my gibson in the comfort of my own home, to me, it couldnt replace it, even for home use. Great guitar tho. So now i have a brand new gs mini for sale!
Will be replacing the gs mini with something smaller. Maybe the little martin, unless there are better, cheaper options.
Will either keep the gibson or replace it with a cheaper 000/00 for comfort if i can find something that sounds at least nearly as good. There is an eastman e1om that looks quite good. Anybody tried these?
give the GS a chance. It's heaps better than any little martin.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-29-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Removed profanity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion