The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Default question about J-45 Vintage ...

Ok, I have a question. I know that Gibson is notorious for their unclear and sometimes strange nomenclature.. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help me understand. I'm confused between the difference(s) between the J-45 TV and the "J-45 Vintage". I am currently in the process of purchasing a 2018 J-45 Vintage. Which is clearly different from the standard, and I'm aware of some of those differences, but the thing that first got me thinking about this is the complete absence of a "J45 Vintage" anywhere on Gibson's site/catalog. As near as I can tell, it does not appear anywhere in their 2018 lineup. At the same time, the retailer I'm dealing with is highly reputable.

So what gives? I know that they switch names and designations and specs frequently. Can someone shed a little light on this? Perhaps this is out of the custom shop, and therefore wouldn't be in their regular Gibson.com lineup? That's the only thing I can think of. Aesthetically, you can tell it's got the VOS hand-rubbed finish and looks totally different than the standard, it has the Kluson period correct tuners, and is advertised as having the thermally-aged adirondack top. The thing that worries me is that it's listed as a 2018 J-45 Vintage and I can find no record of such a guitar on Gibson's website.

as always, appreciate any feedback and any light y'all can shed on the topic.

Thanks in advance

SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 PM

Vintage and True Vintage are NOT the same. I couldn't detail the differences for you. I recall at one point thinking that Vintage was no longer in the catalog and someone showing me that it was. Vintage = more $ than TV. Edited to add: I own a 2016 Vintage. They're real, and really good.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:57 PM

I just compared the J45 standard with the J45 vintage on the wildwood website.

Differences that I note are Vintage has thermally cured red spruce top, baseball bat neck, kool tulip tuners. I'm a Gibbie fan hardcore, but I don't see the vintage being worth $2 grand more.

Good luck with your quest!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 PM

My 2016 j45 vintage does not have a thick neck, not all all, nor does it have tulip tuners- but I agree not worth the extra dough
Old 08-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2016 vintage and it to me is much better than 2010 j45 tv or the Sj Tv I used to own. It’s the only new guitar I have purchased but at a better price than most I see for sale used.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 PM

thanks for the replies. still unclear on how exactly they're different.. did Gibson just offer them during different years, or does anyone know for a fact that they are both concurrent in the catalog?

Washburned, I see that you have a Fullers AJ - that's awesome! I live in Houston, and although it's a bit of a drive, I've been to Fullers maybe 4 or 5 times. By the time I discovered them, they had stopped being a Gibson dealer. I have a Wildwood AJ which is one of the main reasons I decided to jump on a J-45 Vintage when the opportunity came along. Definitely some of the best production guitars I've ever seen. Fantastic.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Still hoping someone can chime in with a bit more definitive info, but I think sometimes Gibson has a habit of defying the logical ..

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for not speaking to the differences. The main one being the cooked top on the vintage and more of a full c shaped neck. I think any other differences are cosmetic or inconsequential. And yes I do very much enjoy my Fullers Aj. I think you’ll enjoy your J45 vintage.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

The J-45 Vintage is a great guitar -- I used to own a killer specimen from 2016, but after some time decided that my 2014 1960s style J-45 with a Sitka top was the better fit for my needs at church so sold the Vintage.

The neck wasn't bad at all...very similar to the slim taper neck on my 2014, with perhaps even a touch less meat in the shoulders. Not a bat. It was also very lightly built and the VOS finish was cool too.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-22-2018, 10:13 PM

thanks again, guys! I think I've got what I need. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I just read an article on Acoustic Guitar magazine online, basically a very favorable review of the J-45 Vintage, in which it claims that basically they took the T.V. and 're-worked it' in 2016, more or less. I guess it's been here ever since, although I still don't see it on Gibson's website, nor do I know if they still offer the TV after 2016.

Anyway, I suppose it doesn't matter; only the individual guitars are important. Can't wait to meet mine a little ways down the road.

thanks again everyone! (and no worries Washburned, I didn't mean to sound like I was singling anyone out for not speaking to the differences! I appreciate all the feedback!)

Scott

Old 08-22-2018, 10:37 PM

I thought the True Vintage had the Advanced Jumbo bracing, but again, you buy the sound you like.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:28 AM

My 2017 J-45 Vintage is labeled a "Custom Shop" model, but is the exact same as any other Vintage model, aged Addi top, hide glue, thin finish. The neck is NOT a baseball bat big size. I picked it up to play by chance, not liking J-45's to begin with. These are truly special guitars, and worth the freight if you can afford one. I'm a Martin guy, and I sold my D-18, after acquiring my J-45. I'm just a cheer leader for this guitar. Very different sound from the True Vintage model, and no comparison in my opinion.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-23-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 AM

I can't get the archived Gibson webpage for the TV to pull up at the moment, unfortunately. It is my understanding that the main differences are 1) J45 TV has the advanced (AJ/wide) bracing pattern whereas the Vintage has the standard J45 bracing pattern and 2) the Vintage has the VOS finish.

I owned a 2015 Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme, which is essentially a blinged out J45 TV. I now own a 2018 J45 Vintage. The SCSJ had the slim taper neck, which was too small for my liking. The Vintage neck is closer to baseball bat than slim, while not being all out baseball bat thickness. It's perfect IMO.

I love the sound of the Vintage. The torrefied top brings a great woody tone and lightens the weight of the guitar. Whether or not it is worth the extra $ is up to the buyer to decide. The only J45 that I've played that I liked more than the Vintage is the 2016 Fullers J45 Legend reissue that was fully torrefied (back/sides). Can't recall if the neck was torrefied or not. I played 3 or 4 of those, and everyone was phenomenal. Super light and very close to the vintage sound. On one occasion I was able to A-B one against a stellar Banner era J45, and the reissue easily held it's own.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 AM

My Vintage does not have a baseball bat neck. Relatively slim compared to my Martin's modified V. Sort of a C/D shape IIRC (don't have it with me).
Old 08-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I believe the J45 Vintage is the flagship of current Gibson guitars. They are fantastic and no, their necks are not at all like a 40's Gibson neck.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Thing is about 1940s Gibsons is there really is no standard. Different hands turning out parts that were considered finished when they looked "close enough."

I do not have a clue what neck carve is on the J45 Vintage but I do own a 1942 J-50. While it has a nice full roundback D neck it is far from what I would call a Louisville Slugger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion