The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Who owns Collings?

Now that Bill has passed on, who owns the guitar shop? Did his family take possession of the business or was it inherited by the employees? Just curious

Last edited by rgregg48; 09-18-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-18-2018, 08:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

It passed to his wife and daughter. The long-standing team remains in place, and it has been business as usual.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Like AMW said... business as usual. I've been in touch with them a lot lately and it's the same excellent service I've always had.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a used D1 Custom from Steve and Raymond at AMW and it's amazing! The quality of Collings fit & finish is perfect...just like the voice!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I picked up a used D1 Custom from Steve and Raymond at AMW and it's amazing! The quality of Collings fit & finish is perfect...just like the voice!
Congratulations, Jim! How are you liking it? Isn't AMW a fun place?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I have an Indian SJ , signed by Bill as the guitars in his era were and a D2H built after Bills passing. Both instruments are superbly built with wonderful tone. You could not tell the company has had changes from the guitars.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Same great company since Bill passed. My recent interactions with the company have been excellent as they always have been. I’ve owned 2 Collings guitars for about 4 or 5 years and they are superb in voice and build. Congratulations Jim. I hope you like your new guitar.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I have to say that I'm thrilled with my Collings instruments, and have been very satisfied with their after sales and customer service.
I had the pleasure of meeting Bill and his great pal from Mass Street Music (forget his name) on a flying visit (literally) to the UK in May 2015.
I took along two of my Collings DS guitars to show him the difference in neck shape, and learned that he liked to "tinker" with the specs at will to improve in ways he wanted.
He was a character and an individualist - obsessed with the quality of his products far more (I felt) than profitability.

I later had a chat with Steve McReary and Mark Althans and they arranged to get one of my guitars shipped back to Texas (from the UK) to be inspected and re-profiled at no cost to me. They did offer to refret it which I was happy to pay for.

Later, they altered the very precises specs that'd put on their website - which was fine as Bill always wanted and imposed continuous product development or some such terminology.

I suspect that he might have been a bit cantankerous to work with from time to time, but I also think that most who worked with/for him loved him and his ways.

One of the great advantages that Collings have is Bruce "Spruce" Van Wart, the guy that has a wondrous skill in his methods of getting the best out of the best woods.

See:
Mark Althans is a great customer Service and liaison guy and a great player so he "understands" the customers.

This is Mark getting something wondrous out of a Waterloo WL-12

Here's Steve McReary talking about maintaining and repairing Collings guitars :

They are all so positive when it comes to helping clients.

In comparison with experiences I've had with other makers - we'll, I'm impressed.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Congratulations, Jim! How are you liking it? Isn't AMW a fun place?
Love it Kerbie! Never set foot in the place but have done a fair amount of business with Steve and Raymond...great guys!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion