The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Default 614ce Builder's Edition - Anyone Play? Comparison to 814ce DLX?

I believe that the new 614ce Builder's Edition model has yet to be released, although I could be wrong on that. Has anyone gotten their hands on one yet? And if so, what is your opinion? How would you compare to the 814ce DLX?

Again, this thread could be premature, but both the 614 and 814 are on my radar.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:24 AM

I played one a few weeks ago at GC in Nashville and for comfort, it's, hands-down, the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. The silent satin finish feels so neat(hard to put into words). The armrest plus the rounded body lines feel unbelievable. It just fits "Perfect" in your lap. Sound-wise, I wasn't too impressed. It sounded good, but lacked bottom-end. I think they would be great for fingerpicking, but not strumming. My friend just picked up an 814ce DLX a few weeks back and it BLOWS the 614ce BE out of the water sound-wise. There's no comparison at all to me. The 814ce DLX is just a big powerhouse guitar compared to it. I had a 2011 814ce and it doesn't even compare to his DLX. If I were going to buy a guitar for comfort, It'd be the 614ce BE and if I were going to buy one for amazing sound PLUS feeling good too due to the armrest, it'd be the 814ce DLX any day of the week.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
My friend just picked up an 814ce DLX a few weeks back and it BLOWS the 614ce BE out of the water sound-wise.
Thanks for that insight.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Thanks for that insight.
You're welcome. I'm very impressed with the 800 DLX models! Big, clean sound out of them and the fit and finish is superb! The arm rest makes them so comfortable.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
You're welcome. I'm very impressed with the 800 DLX models! Big, clean sound out of them and the fit and finish is superb! The arm rest makes them so comfortable.
Yes indeed!

I am equally attracted to the aesthetics of the 614ce BE models, which is why I brought this up.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 AM

I have a few guitars with arm rests and bevels. IMO, I don't find them horribly necessary on Taylor GC or GA bodies. Nice feature, but I probably wouldn't spend the extra $. They're much more worth it on bigger and/or deeper bodies. I'd want one on a Taylor DN or jumbo.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 AM

I have 2 X-braced 614's ('15 and '17) and a V-braced 914. The 914's armrest bevel is comfortable, for sure, but I don't really even notice a difference when I'm playing that or one of my 614's. Maybe I should pay more attention to that one of these days.

I will say that I own these particular guitars because of their sound. I have no idea how many other Taylor's I've passed over in the past few years, but there were a LOT that didn't sound great (IMO). Actually, of the hundreds of Taylor guitars I've played in the past 2 years I've only played 4 that I liked, and I bought 3 of them. I shouldn't have let that one 814 get away, but what do you do.

I really like the look of the Builder's Edition 614's, but there's no way I'd buy one without hearing it first. They sure are pretty though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion