The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2022, 10:47 AM

I use Minwax Wipe On Poly for necks. Like Tru Oil, it takes many coats but it's much more durable, looks just as good and has a similar tactile quality.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:46 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. As it happened, I found two bottles of Tru-Oil in my supply cabinet, one partially used. I tested that and found it still good, so I'll use it up. When it's gone, I'll test the other bottle. I'm told that it will keep for a long time as long as it's stored in a cool place.

After that, I'll switch to the OSMO PolyX that Rudy uses. It sounds perfect for necks and solid-body guitars, but I'm not so sure about acoustic bodies, since it might retain a flexibility that could damp the tone.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Rudy, have you ever tried the gloss version, 3011?

I also noticed 3054 is not available in Canada, I guess we need the thinner 3043 since it is so cold here in our igloos 🙂
No gloss. I'd assume that folks who are looking for gloss would really want a finish that builds and can be rubbed out flat before polishing. Osmo would not be appropriate for that use.

When I use open pored woods I actually prefer an unfilled surface, but that's just me. Osmo "gloss" would probably look fine on a wood such as maple or cherry.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Here’s a good video that show the sheen level of OSMO gloss. It’s lovely, but it’s not the same level of reflection of gloss finishes from nitro or varnish.

Skip to 4:50 if you just want to see the sheen of the completed finish.

https://youtu.be/duxKcjaidf8
Old 05-07-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Here’s a good video that show the sheen level of OSMO gloss. It’s lovely, but it’s not the same level of reflection of gloss finishes from nitro or varnish.

Skip to 4:50 if you just want to see the sheen of the completed finish.

https://youtu.be/duxKcjaidf8
Seems to be less gloss than Tru Oil, this is grain partially filled mahogany. I wonder if Osmo can be wet sanded and recoated and buffed for a bit more gloss. I like Tru Oil but I get tired of doing 15- 20 coats

Last edited by Fathand; 05-07-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I wonder if Osmo can be wet sanded and recoated and buffed for a bit more gloss
Unfortunately, I think not. OSMO needs to get into the wood. Based on my somewhat limited experience, additional coats don't build like surface finishes do.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:49 AM

I've had good experience with Wipe-on Polyurethane for necks. Easy to do indoors and goes on thin like tru oil. I've only used the Minwax version, but Stewmac has their own product now as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair