The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I'm looking for some practical inputs. I am looking to pick up a mahogany guitar simply to round out the small stable. I own a Yamaha LL16 rosewood and a Gibson J-15 walnut. I owned a Yamaha FG180 mahogany that I sold last year - kinda miss the tone and just looking to add a little variety.

I don't need another guitar. Of course, when has that ever stopped anyone around here?

A few characteristics:

1) I am a hobby player. Reasonably competent, mostly self-taught. I have been playing for the last 4 years after a 30 year break when I set the guitar down at 12.

2) I will likely never gig, my only audience is my dog. I play for enjoyment and stress relief in my office with the door closed. My family ignores me. I like playing 70's- 2000's rock, alt rock, and grunge tunes. I can typically play a song proficiently after a few days of dedicated focus.

3) I will buy used. I will buy a Martin D-18 or Gibson J-45. Both are overpriced and more than I have spent on any guitar and completely unnecessary. Buying used will get me value that will help me justify the purchase. Its not an affordability problem - just my frugal nature.

My question:

I really like my J-15. Slope shoulder shape is great, tone is great, short-scale is great. For those who have both the J-15 and the J-45 do the tonal differences justify owning both?

I have played the J-45 many times and like the tone, and I can tell a tonal difference from the Walnut, but I'm not certain that difference is worth adding a J-45. Essentially they are the same guitar (don't scold me - I understand they are different, but essentially they are built the same).

The D-18 is in play because its different than what I already have, and the ones I've played sounded good, but I won't pretend I could tell the difference between a D-18 and a J-45 with my eyes closed. I've not played them side-by-side.

For those who have both the J-15 and J-45 what would you recommend? Worth owning both?
Hi Justin,
That question I feel can really only be answered by yourself, only you know what works for you.

If you have to financial means to treat yourself to another guitar by all means find the instrument that you connect with.

Because in the end that's what really matters
Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
To the OP,
is having a J15 and J45 redundant?
No.

Now, all that said, I would recommend you take your J15 with you when you play a J45 and a D18.
Then make your choice.
Hey Justin, woodbox makes a great suggestion here !!
Old 06-02-2019, 12:08 PM

I had a really good j15 for a year and then bought a j45. Mostly stopped playing the j15, so I sold it. The j45 just sounds sweeter all around (the bass is just a little bit deeper and tighter) although they are similar. I'm considering getting a d18 or d28 as a loud flat picker which the j45 really isn't much of. That or maybe a Gibson with a longer scale.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I'm looking for some practical inputs. I am looking to pick up a mahogany guitar simply to round out the small stable. I own a Yamaha LL16 rosewood and a Gibson J-15 walnut. I owned a Yamaha FG180 mahogany that I sold last year - kinda miss the tone and just looking to add a little variety.

I don't need another guitar. Of course, when has that ever stopped anyone around here?

A few characteristics:

1) I am a hobby player. Reasonably competent, mostly self-taught. I have been playing for the last 4 years after a 30 year break when I set the guitar down at 12.

2) I will likely never gig, my only audience is my dog. I play for enjoyment and stress relief in my office with the door closed. My family ignores me. I like playing 70's- 2000's rock, alt rock, and grunge tunes. I can typically play a song proficiently after a few days of dedicated focus.

3) I will buy used. I will buy a Martin D-18 or Gibson J-45. Both are overpriced and more than I have spent on any guitar and completely unnecessary. Buying used will get me value that will help me justify the purchase. Its not an affordability problem - just my frugal nature.

My question:

I really like my J-15. Slope shoulder shape is great, tone is great, short-scale is great. For those who have both the J-15 and the J-45 do the tonal differences justify owning both?

I have played the J-45 many times and like the tone, and I can tell a tonal difference from the Walnut, but I'm not certain that difference is worth adding a J-45. Essentially they are the same guitar (don't scold me - I understand they are different, but essentially they are built the same).

The D-18 is in play because its different than what I already have, and the ones I've played sounded good, but I won't pretend I could tell the difference between a D-18 and a J-45 with my eyes closed. I've not played them side-by-side.

For those who have both the J-15 and J-45 what would you recommend? Worth owning both?
I own a J15, a vintage J45, and a new J45 with walnut back and sides. I've also owned a J45 standard. I love Gibsons. But I tell you honestly that unless you love Gibsons and feel like you will benefit from the slight variation in the fundamental tones, you should stick with the J15. Truthfully, if I was given the choice between only a J45 standard and my J15, i would keep the J15. I feel like it has all the bottom and a little more snap in the mids and top.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM

I would keep the J-15 and go for the D-18 or another dread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion