The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM

First guitar I ever saw was my Grandfathers Martin.
I was 3 or 4 yrs old.
He would sit on the floor and play with it, but I really don't recall the sound or what he played.
I remember there was a vibration .. something I could "feel",
perhaps more than what I could hear.

Anyway, then there was a little band from England on TV and all over the radio.
Incidentally, for those younger members who where not around in 1964, consider this:
In April of that year, the Beatles had not only the Number 1 song, but also the Number 2 song, and the Number 3 song, and the Number 4, and Number 5.
Yes, they had the Top 5 songs.
No one had ever done that, before or since.
They often bumped themselves off the Number 1 spot with thier next song.

A year later, my Grandmother gifted Grandfathers little Martin to me, with a "Hy White" chord book in the case.
Grandpa, Beatles and Grandma set my feet on the path.
And here we are.

Gratitude to Kori for another great thread.. you did it again.
Sign me proud and honored to be part of this AGF community.

Last edited by woodbox; 06-02-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ske3BSXiuz0
Old 06-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
From where/whom did your love of guitars originate?...
When I went off to college in 1960, a couple of guys on the floor were good with flat picks and fingers on their D-18s. It sounded so nice that I got a cheap classical guitar to learn on, and soon got a D-18 and joined the college folksinging club. In 1969 I got a D-35 and hung onto it as we both aged and had repairs to help us play.
But last winter when I found the AGF, my horizon expanded as I learned about so many other guitars. I was exposed to GAS for the first time.
First I got a parlor guitar, because it sounded better than a travel guitar. The D-35 was getting hard to play again, so I got a new concert body that played better and sounded almost as good. I began seeing, feeling, hearing and appreciating my three different 6-string guitars as I could not do when I had just one.
On AGF I learned that I could ask Martin for a free neck reset to make the D-35 play easily. And I want a better parlor guitar. So that's like two new guitars to come.
I think the beauty and sound of an acoustic guitar in the arms is a wonderful experience. And what people can do with it makes it the most amazingly flexible instrument in the world.
From classical arrangements, to Merle Travis' alternating base, to Richard Smith's Scott Joplin rags, to Clarence White's flat cross picking -- the acoustic guitar was made for our ears and fingers.

Last edited by vintage40s; 06-02-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 AM

My grandfather had been a old time bluegrass guitar player until the mid-1930's. He was from mid-southern Virginia in tobacco country and in those pre and early days of radio, live barn dances were a big thing. As I discovered from him much later in the 70's, his group(s) played all across the eastern US back then, and from his stories, traveling in those days in Model T's and primitive roads was challenging.

Moving forward to the late 50's and early 60's, there was group of musicians that gathered at his house each summer or so for a few days to play music. I loved to sit there and listen to all of the players each sharing the lead with the others while the rest each played their parts. As I was then around 7 or 8 years old, I did not have any idea who any of the musicians were as they were just people my grandparents knew.

After listening to these really talented people play, an older lady asked if she could show me how to play her autoharp. It was easy to learn with her help and she would show me the chords to the songs that were being played.

These gatherings must have ended around 1966 or so as I don't recall any after that time. Twenty years later or so I asked my grandfather about those people and he told me about each person, not all of whom I remembered. They were folks he played with in his younger days and after he stopped playing for a living, most of his friends continued on, and many moved to the Richmond, Va area where we lived as Richmond had one of the powerful radio stations in that area of the US along with Nashville and Atlanta.

Although I did not know much (if anything) about the people he told be about in the gatherings, I was to learn that most were very well known players of the era, and the lady who graciously taught me the autoharp was Mother Maybelle Carter.

Deep down, those early experiences provided me with a love for music. My grandad's old 00 Gibson is still around.

Last edited by dhockenbury; 06-03-2019 at 08:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion