The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Default Fret buzz with arrival of Spring?

Hi, new member here.

So, I live in a Northern area of the country that has long Winters with single digit humidity and low temperatures.

I own two acoustic guitars: collings OM and a H&D Crossroads. I take care to use Oasis humidifiers and to keep the guitars in their cases when I am not playing them.

No fret buzzing all Winter. But, now that it is Spring/Summer I have some annoying fret buzzing with both guitars!

Could this be due to the increase in temperature and humidity? Has anyone else on this forum experienced this? And, most importantly, what can I do to resolve this problem?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m02876 View Post
Hi, new member here.

So, I live in a Northern area of the country that has long Winters with single digit humidity and low temperatures.

I own two acoustic guitars: collings OM and a H&D Crossroads. I take care to use Oasis humidifiers and to keep the guitars in their cases when I am not playing them.

No fret buzzing all Winter. But, now that it is Spring/Summer I have some annoying fret buzzing with both guitars!

Could this be due to the increase in temperature and humidity? Has anyone else on this forum experienced this? And, most importantly, what can I do to resolve this problem?

Thanks!
I live in MT and fight humidity and temperature related issues pretty much year round. I too keep all of my instruments in their cases when not playing them, and use sound hole humidifiers. I used to use Oasis, but have preferred the Planet Waves sponges for a few years now. I try to keep them damp all the time. Most of the time I can keep the guitars stable, but if I let me guard down at all, I get buzzing. I usually have to tweak the truss rods (in guitars that have them) in the fall and spring. Usually just a 1/4 turn will do the job. The key for me is keeping my man cave as stable as possible in both temp and humidity. And though many think this is an acoustic instrument only issue, my solid body electric guitars also fight humidity issues at times as well.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:09 AM

Many classical guitar builders provide a 'summer' and a 'winter' saddle with the guitars so that you can change them out to adjust the action for this very reason.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 AM

Isn't supposed to be...

Summer=higher humidity=shorter saddle needed?

Winter=lower humidity=taller saddle needed?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Isn't supposed to be...

Summer=higher humidity=shorter saddle needed?

Winter=lower humidity=taller saddle needed?
Typically, yes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion