The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Default Where are the DSS-17s?

There has been a lot of buzz lately on the Taylor GPs. And I've been able to test drive them all over the place. My interest in Martin centers on the DSS-17. I've seen videos of them all over the internet. But none in the flesh. Our local Martin (and big Taylor dealer), hasn't even heard of DSS-17, much less seen one.

Is the DSS-17 in general circulation yet?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 PM

I just got a call and email today from Sweetwater, advising me they had more in stock.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 05-31-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

The first orders of the DSS-17's are all sold. Rumor has them available around July or August. Call Maury at Maury's Music. He's close to the Martin factory adn gets good info, and he will sell you one for around $12+-.00

But this isn't a guitar to buy without trying one. It's loud and uncouth. It's like the guy in ''Friends in Low Places''. It's different and not for the faint of heart!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Where are the DSS-17s?

Maury had one in my hands just 10 days after it was announced at NAMM. Great guitar. Raw, brash, light and LOUD. Ultimately that untamed tone didn’t mesh with my playing style. But the decision to sell it was tough. Fortunately it sold quickly on Reverb (3 days) to a guy who’s super excited to get it as his first Martin. I’m sure he’s gonna love it.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 05-31-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

My local shop has one in black. It's a great sounding guitar.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM

Mine just arrived a couple hours ago via UPS thanks to Mr. Rev Roy ... I'm at work and the darn thing is sitting in my living room right now. I threatened a beat-down on anyone in the house that opened it up before I got home tonight . Can't wait to try it!
Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePrent View Post
Mine just arrived a couple hours ago via UPS thanks to Mr. Rev Roy ... I'm at work and the darn thing is sitting in my living room right now. I threatened a beat-down on anyone in the house that opened it up before I got home tonight . Can't wait to try it!
You’re gonna love it! Selling it was a really tough choice for me. Definitely may end up being one of those guitars I’ll regret letting go of. But I’m glad it found a good new home. You’re gonna have one heck of a fun weekend.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 05-31-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-31-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Be careful when you open it. Make sure you lock up all your other guitars so they can't run away and hide!

Next; comb your hair like Elvis, buckle up, and get ready for a wild ride!

Finally; get ready to have a great time this weekend. I hope you don't have any other plans!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:32 PM

Well... I just got home from work, made myself a cocktail and strummed a few chords on her for the first time.... all I can say is WOW. So responsive.. so dynamic. Softly strummed it’s quiet and beautiful, picked hard and it sings like no other guitar I’ve ever played. Exceeded my expectations. I will probably post the story of my guitar hunting adventure in the coming days, but for now ... I have a guitar to play

IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars

Last edited by MikePrent; 05-31-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:37 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Well... I just got home from work, made myself a cocktail and strummed a few chords on her for the first time.... all I can say is WOW. So responsive.. so dynamic. Softly strummed it’s quiet and beautiful, picked hard and it sings like no other guitar I’ve ever played. Exceeded my expectations. I will probably post the story of my guitar hunting adventure in the coming days, but for now ... I have a guitar to play
Glad you love it, Mike!

Old 05-31-2019, 05:34 PM

If you're anywhere near Russo's in Hamilton, NJ they've got one there. Bold & brassy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion