The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 AM

Default How Dingable Is Spruce?

So I have a quiklok a frame stand that gouged up my seagull s6 pretty good. I wrote about that here. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547750

I got a new alvarez AD70, and it also banged into the end cap of the quiklok stand pretty hard at least once. I've checked it repeatedly for gouges that are maybe hard to see in certain light and have not found any marks of any kind.

What is the difference in resistance to dinging between a cedar top and spruce top guitar?

I'm pretty peeved and have contacted quiklok to complain but they have not answered me.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 AM

Acoustic guitars are notoriously ding-able.............
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 AM

Cedar is softer then Spruce.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Default How Dingable Is Spruce?

Common topwoods in decreasing order of dingability (IME):
  • Redwood
  • Cedar
  • Spruce
  • Sapele
  • Mahogany
  • Koa
  • Walnut
YMMV...
Old 05-29-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Common topwoods in decreasing order of dingability (IME):
  • Redwood
  • Cedar
  • Spruce
  • Sapele
  • Mahogany
  • Koa
  • Walnut
YMMV...

Maple is a tank
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 05-29-2019, 07:31 AM

If I were you, I'd wrap the ends of the stand in something a little less hard on guitar finishes; or just get another stand. I've been using several different floor stands and never had that issue and that's in spite of having multiple dogs, cats and kids running around the house the past 5 years.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:53 AM

In your case it's probably the finish that has more to do with the 'dingability' then anything else. So your Seagul has a nice acoustically transparent thin finish at the expense of ding protection where as your Alverez has a thick acoustically deadening finish but great wear resistance. I'm not sure that will make you feel any better though
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM

I'm going to say it again, get a different stand! I've never had a stand mark up a guitar. If I did, it would be the last time that I ever used that stand.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 AM

Fender makes an affordable hanging stand. If you watch Musicians Friend Stupid Deal of the Day or Guitar Centers Daily Pick you can often find it for $20 or less.
Many on the Forum including me seem to like them. They’re nitro finish friendly too.
Deluxe Hanging Guitar Stand: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/Fend...g-Guitar-Stand
Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
I'm going to say it again, get a different stand! I've never had a stand mark up a guitar. If I did, it would be the last time that I ever used that stand.
Yeah I plan on getting the neck support variety. I have decent experience with one my local dealer claims is made by epiphone despite no logos but that's for my banjo. It's Israel so access to selection of name brands is limited and very overpriced. The whole reason I bought this stupid quiklok in the first place. And when I go to the store that actually carries the neck support variety they never have everything on their website and try to sell me whatever they do have, it's usually not a name brand, which as an American is really Frickin upsetting.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
In your case it's probably the finish that has more to do with the 'dingability' then anything else. So your Seagul has a nice acoustically transparent thin finish at the expense of ding protection where as your Alverez has a thick acoustically deadening finish but great wear resistance. I'm not sure that will make you feel any better though
I noticed that! The s6 finish almost feels like sanded wood, n very thin!the AD70 finish is a very think clear coat, and despite taking a hard hit from the stand, I can find any dings in the finish. Well my s6 strings are super dead, so I'm not 100%, but honestly I think prefer I the boomy sound of the AD70. It just kind echoes on the bass notes and I love that.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

You can actually ding a cedar top with an acrylic fingernail easily, any species of spruce not so much. That's been my experience, anyway. Cedar is widely known to be softer.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Acoustic guitars are notoriously ding-able.............
This ^^^^^^

I have dings on all of my guitars to one degree or another depending on their age and whether I travel with them or not. It is just part of the journey of owning and playing wood instruments. And I take very good care of them but if you are going to use them to the fullest they will get bumped and nicked along the way. That said, my cedar topped guitar has the most visible bruises and my mahogany topped guitar, the least.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
Agreed. Look into a K&M acoustic stand. The new ones are coated in cork. I've got several of them, and have never once suffered a ding from the stand.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
So I have a quiklok a frame stand that gouged up my seagull s6 pretty good. I wrote about that here. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547750

I got a new alvarez AD70, and it also banged into the end cap of the quiklok stand pretty hard at least once. I've checked it repeatedly for gouges that are maybe hard to see in certain light and have not found any marks of any kind.

What is the difference in resistance to dinging between a cedar top and spruce top guitar?

I'm pretty peeved and have contacted quiklok to complain but they have not answered me.
No Amazon in Israel? And here I thought that they were everywhere.

I've never really liked a-frame stands. They always seemed inherently unstable to me. I like tripod hanging stands, like

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-KB38.../dp/B0002TJO92

and

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-GS41.../dp/B000EEHKVY

Given what you put in it, a quality guitar stand is well worth it. (as you have sadly found out) And they will last for decades.

Cedar top or not, it should not have been caused by the stand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion