The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 AM

I have had both, If you want to play plugged in, the 314ce is a fine guitar, and after you get the pickups dialed in it will sound great. If it ever comes to a neck reset, forget about it, the Taylor is a no brainer.

In a small room the Taylor sounds good acoustically, in a large room, not so much. The size of the room dosen't matter to the Martin at all . Also the 314 is a very comfortable guitar to sit and play.

these are just my opinions , of course I'm sure others will have different !!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:25 AM

As opposed, as some have said, to asking about comparing apples and oranges, let's just compare guitars. I own both and both serve a function. Let's go deeper. Would I put my D-28 in poor conditions that I would my 314? No. Would I leave the D-28 in a remote location for months without humidification? No. Would I play either on stage and be happy with the outcome? Yes. However, most importantly, if someone said, "You can only keep one guitar. You must sell the 314 or the D-28. What's your choice?" The answer would be immediate and unequivocal. The 314 would go. It's not that it's not a very nice guitar but, it will never be a D-28. There are always good, better, best. The D-28 will always be better. It's an iconic guitar for a reason.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’ve been a Taylor owner for a long time and there’s no way I’d take a 314 over a D28. Those two are not even in the same league.
I am a Taylor guy. I, as well, would take a D28 over a 314 every time - they aren't even close.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’ve been a Taylor owner for a long time and there’s no way I’d take a 314 over a D28. Those two are not even in the same league.
My feelings exactly.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 05-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Out of those two choices I'd go with the Larrivee.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Default thanks

Hey Thanks for all the great input here, this got a bigger response than I thought it would. All great perspectives.
I'm leaning towards the D-28, and I realized I made an error in comparing them. I think the 414CE would've been a better comparison if I was only taking a price point into consideration. I'm purely a hobbyist who plays in the basement in my spare time, my play style is all over the place, fingerstyle one day, flat picking and strumming the next. I already have a nice La Patrie nylon string which does a great job covering off most finger style needs. I think I will likely end up going for the D-28. Thanks again for all the great replies.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhd View Post
Hey Thanks for all the great input here, this got a bigger response than I thought it would. All great perspectives.
I'm leaning towards the D-28, and I realized I made an error in comparing them. I think the 414CE would've been a better comparison if I was only taking a price point into consideration. I'm purely a hobbyist who plays in the basement in my spare time, my play style is all over the place, fingerstyle one day, flat picking and strumming the next. I already have a nice La Patrie nylon string which does a great job covering off most finger style needs. I think I will likely end up going for the D-28. Thanks again for all the great replies.
I think your decision is a great one. I once read a comment that said, "If the player can't do it on a D-28, its operator error."

Looking forward to your new guitar day post!
Old 05-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Both are fine instruments. You'd have a winner with either of those. I'd say go with what inspires you more and sounds better in your hands.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhd View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and found a lot of great discussion around here and thought I'd get some opinions from you folks on a new purchase I plan to make.

I'm looking to buy either a Martin D-28 or a Taylor 314CE. I've played both, and really like both. The Martin sounds a lot more strong and bass-y while the taylor has a brighter sound to it seems to have better playability.

Does anyone here own either one of these models? have any opinions or strong preferences one way or the other?
Heu, the Martin is a better acoustic, and the Taylor euh, is a better acoustic-electric...
I do have a D-28 (but quite different from the standard series) and a Taylor (not a 314ce but a 614ce -with ES1.2, not ES2-), and I think the best thing would probably be to decide whether you really need an acoustic or an acoustic-electric (stage-ready for the 2nd one)...
A 414ce Rosewood would be nearer to the D-28 tonally (same wood species basically) than the 314ce, but more expensive too (though not too far from the D-28 I think).
They are both excellent guitars, but my favourite would be the Martin on the distance...Can't really tell about the 414ce (serious competitor I'd figure out; though I did not play one). Taylors may be more consistent but a great Martin is something quite different in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Matt! Get what suits you best. I'd be the first in line to tell you (if I had been?) that the D-28 is my clear choice every time. But it's not about me. Play all you can and decide. More importantly enjoy the experience! And welcome to the zoo!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Torn between MartinD28 & Taylor 314 CE

Alright—I swore I’d never post on this forum again, but the thread title drew me out of the woods.

First—I own a 314ce. It’s a fine instrument. Very solid and dependable. Sounds good and plays good. I’ve played at least a hundred gigs (and probably 200 times at church) with mine and it’s worked fine. I like to say it’s a great tool. It gets the job done.

While I don’t have a D-28, I do have a D-18 and an HD-28. All I can say is that the sound that comes from one of those Standard Series Martin dreads (like the D-28) is the sound that people dream of when they’re dreaming about acoustic guitars.

The 314ce is fine, the D-28 is a whole ‘nother level.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 05-19-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Alright—I swore I’d never post on this forum again, but the thread title drew me out of the woods.

First—I own a 314ce. It’s a fine instrument. Very solid and dependable. Sounds good and plays good. I’ve played at least a hundred gigs (and probably 200 times at church) with mine and it’s worked fine. I like to say it’s a great tool. It gets the job done.

While I don’t have a D-28, I do have a D-18 and an HD-28. All I can say is that the sound that comes from one of those Standard Series Martin dreads (like the D-28) is the sound that people dream of when they’re dreaming about acoustic guitars.

The 314ce is fine, the D-28 is a whole ‘nother level.
Welcome back brother!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Welcome back brother!

I’ve turned over a new leaf. I’ve decided to only post about topics I know something about.

I’ll just let everyone else keep posting about things they know nothing about.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I’ve turned over a new leaf. I’ve decided to only post about topics I know something about.

I’ll just let everyone else keep posting about things they know nothing about.
That's always a good call!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am a Taylor guy. I, as well, would take a D28 over a 314 every time - they aren't even close.
^This.

Two different classes of guitars. If you were making a decision between a 714ce and a D-28, then at least the guitars are in the same ball park. Both are fine guitars.

To the OP though it really depends on what you like. Taylor playability is great, but the Martin can be set-up to make it great for you too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion