The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 AM

Default NGD- Eastman E1OM UPDATED

It’s been a while since I had a NGD post. I honestly wasn’t planning on buying another guitar for quite a while. Life has changed (a lot) and I no longer play as often as I used to. But I still love the acoustic, and I’ve missed having an OM, which over the past few years become my favorite body style by far.

Last week, I dropped by a local music store just to kick tires. They were unboxing a brand new Eastman E1OM as I walked in. The clerk messed up and told me it was an E10OM, which I realized was wrong as soon as I got it in my hands. But I wasn’t upset. I had been hoping to run across one of these new "bargain" models.

Quite honestly, I've never played an Eastman with mahogany or sapele that did anything for me, so I wasn't expecting much. I decided to give it a try.

Boy, I’m glad I did.

I tuned her up and gave a strum...oh my! What came out was what I consider the quintessential Mahogany and spruce OM/000 tone: balanced, punchy, clear...and rich. Ahhhh...how I had missed the sound of this perfect wood combo and body shape. It truly hits the sweet-spot, for me, at least.

I sat in a little side nook and put her through her paces. Flatpicking, the notes rang clear and true. Not a lot of overtones...just nice, dry mahogany clarity. But rich...full...round. Not thin at all. Fingerpicking, sweet and clear. Up the neck and cowboy chords just put a smile on my face. Strumming, I've learned to control my right hand a lot over the years, but as I dug in, it kept giving.

Several times, customers walked by to ask what brand of guitar I was playing. They weren't asking because of my playing...they were asking because it sounded so right, even with my hacking.

I asked them to hold it for me, so I could ask my wife about it and not put her on the spot by calling from the store. I actually chickened out the next day, and called and told them I couldn't do it. Then I had a change of heart. I told my bride that, if it was still there on Monday, I was going to pull the trigger. It was simply too dang good to pass up at $459. I called them, and to my suprise, it was still there. Turns out they forgot to put it back on the floor on Saturday! Bully for me!

On to the guitar itself, the top is actually quite tight-grained sitka, with a bit of bear-claw going on, and some nice silking. Some waviness in the grain, but not much. Gloss finish on top, and it really makes the silking stand out. Nice tortoise-style binding on the top AND back (many makers cut corners and only bind the top now at this price point and even above). The sapele back and sides are actually quite even and beautiful. They're finished in an open-pore (i.e. no filler) finish, which isn't as nice as satin, but doesn't bother me. Heck, maybe that's one of the reasons it sounds so dang good!

The neck is one of the things I always loved about the Eastmans I had before. Nice, full c-shaped neck. Not too big, not too thin. Felt like home from the get-go. No issues with intonation up and down the neck...seriously, it was spot-on. The ebony fretboard and bridge are beautiful. Can I say thank you CITIES for this one? Becase you know we wouldn't be seeing ebony on this price point were it not for RW restrictions. The headplate is simply gorgeous to me, with a bit of lighter brown striping mixed in with the dark black of the ebony. AND it's a gloss headstock, which makes it look fantastic to me.

I had not seen Eastman's new pickguard design in person, and I am more than thrilled. Their old, pixelated pickguards were thin and ugly, IMHO, but the new ones are quite Greven-esque and attractive. Not beveled, but still a big upgrade.

The neck has a stacked heel and a scarf-joint for the headstock. The neck acutally has some wild figuring on it, but not uniform enough to make it truly "figuring" and get placed on a nicer guitar.

It's quite clean, as well. Nice fit and finish. Looking forward to taking a gander at the bracing when I change strings down the road. All in all, it is a phenomenal spruce/sapele 000 and I'm thrilled to be able to take care of it for a while.

I've downsized my collection quite a bit, and I'm not playing as much as I used to, but this little git may change that. I have a joy when I pick it up, and I don't want to put it down. I haven't really had that in a really long time. It felt good to experience it again. And not caring about the name or the price tag felt good, too. I can't justify having really nice guitars at this season of life, and have moved quite a few for monetary needs. Just being happy that I am able to play an incredible sounding and feeling instrument makes me smile. This one makes me feel like I have a top-tier OM at an incredible price.

Update: added Video clip

Updated 6.1.19 with soundclip:

Last edited by Treenewt; 06-01-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Congrats on the new Eastman. I really like the brown imbedded into the ebony headstock and that flamed neck. Sapele/Sitka is a nice combination, and Eastman is making killer guitars, right now, and it looks like you got a great one (and for $459....? yes, please!).
Old 10-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Wow! Congrats on the new Eastman. I really like the brown imbedded into the ebony headstock and that flamed neck. Sapele/Sitka is a nice combination, and Eastman is making killer guitars, right now, and it looks like you got a great one (and for $459....? yes, please!).
Thanks man! I'm pretty tickled!
Old 10-25-2018, 11:30 AM

I'm stunned at how much guitar you get for $459. Makes me wonder what dealer cost is? They must be near free. I wish we had an Eastman dealer in my vicinity, although would be CAD $. Congrats and thanks for sharing. I hope she inspires you to play more.

TS
Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
I'm stunned at how much guitar you get for $459. Makes me wonder what dealer cost is? They must be near free. I wish we had an Eastman dealer in my vicinity, although would be CAD $. Congrats and thanks for sharing. I hope she inspires you to play more.

TS
I had the same thought. I didn't even try to get him lower. For what this brings to the table, it's a steal. Not sure if they're all this good, or if I got a good one, but I'm pleased. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 PM

$459? Really? Wow. Now why did you have to tell me that? Happy NGD to you!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
$459? Really? Wow. Now why did you have to tell me that? Happy NGD to you!
We're all enablers, right? All I know is, if you run across one, take it for a spin. This one was a heck of a steal.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
We're all enablers, right? All I know is, if you run across one, take it for a spin. This one was a heck of a steal.
You're feeling the same way I did three years ago when I bought my E20 OMSB.
Hopefully after awhile you'll still feel the same way. Mine still sounds so good that I have no desire to buy another 000/OM. Oh, by the way congrats on your beautiful new OM, its appearance suggest a much more expensive guitar. Enjoy!
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 10-25-2018, 02:35 PM

Congrats that's a beautiful instrument-great deal too
Enjoy!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
You're feeling the same way I did three years ago when I bought my E20 OMSB.
Hopefully after awhile you'll still feel the same way. Mine still sounds so good that I have no desire to buy another 000/OM. Oh, by the way congrats on your beautiful new OM, its appearance suggest a much more expensive guitar. Enjoy!
Yes! I hear you, Tom! Out of 4 Eastman's I had before, the E20OM was by far the best! I'm thankful to have another one that hits the right buttons with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill View Post
Congrats that's a beautiful instrument-great deal too
Enjoy!
Thank you, sir!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 PM

I understand why you got it. I played one Tuesday night and was blown away. They didn't have a price tag on it. Now that I know, I may have to go back and get it. Congrats! That's a beautiful neck on the guitar.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I understand why you got it. I played one Tuesday night and was blown away. They didn't have a price tag on it. Now that I know, I may have to go back and get it. Congrats! That's a beautiful neck on the guitar.
Do it!!!! 😜
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful, Treenewt. Enjoy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Beautiful, Treenewt. Enjoy.
Thanks Jim! I appreciate it!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, congrats! And such a price too!

I really like Eastmans (Eastmen?). Great guitars. I've been searching for an E10PM for a couple of years. It's the all-hog parlor. They are scarce, it seems, only made in 2012.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion