The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Default Harsh Treble Sound on Plugged in Sound

Hello everyone!

I am running into an issue with my plugged in acoustic tone where when I play aggressively, I get a very harsh treble "hiss" or loud slap sound. I assume the treble just needs turned down, but I don't want to lose too much air/clarity.

I'll admit I'm struggling to EQ it properly. Does anyone have a suggestion for the frequency to cut or how to better tame this? Apologies is I wasn't clear on describing the unwanted sound I am getting.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

From your sig I'm guessing this is with a Taylor ES1 system. Is it the sound/problem the same on all guitars?

What's the signal chain between the guitar and your ears?

Can you post some clips of what you are describing, and maybe diddle with the tone settings on the guitar's preamp to see how that works?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot1405 View Post
Hello everyone!

I am running into an issue with my plugged in acoustic tone where when I play aggressively, I get a very harsh treble "hiss" or loud slap sound. I assume the treble just needs turned down, but I don't want to lose too much air/clarity.

I'll admit I'm struggling to EQ it properly. Does anyone have a suggestion for the frequency to cut or how to better tame this? Apologies is I wasn't clear on describing the unwanted sound I am getting.
You are possibly driving something in your signal chain into clipping. First item to check is the battery in the guitar. Then you need to go up the line seeing if reducing a volume setting fixes the problem. Start with the master volume on the last item in the chain (powered speaker or amp which won't likely be the problem) and then work your way towards the guitar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 AM

What are you plugging into? Are you using a balanced cable (assuming ES1 system)?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
From your sig I'm guessing this is with a Taylor ES1 system. Is it the sound/problem the same on all guitars?

What's the signal chain between the guitar and your ears?

Can you post some clips of what you are describing, and maybe diddle with the tone settings on the guitar's preamp to see how that works?
ES1 sounding harsh? I found the ES2 much worse for harshness. The piezo pickup picks ups ever string squeak like nails on a chalkboard unless I cut the treble significantly.

Perhaps the solution for the OP is an external preamp. When I use my Taylor 814ceDLX (ES2) I almost always plug into a Baggs GigPro compact preamp ($100). The preamp offers a lot more flexibility than the built in does. I don't find the need to do that with my 614ce (ES1). I've never heard a piezo pickup that didn't sound like and ice pick in the ear. If I didn't have the preamp most likely I'd use a 7 or 10 band EQ pedal.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot1405 View Post
Hello everyone!

Hey 1-shot

Please tell us what guitar is doing this…
Have you checked the battery?
What are you playing it through when it sounds this way?
When you play aggressively, are you strumming or picking?
Flatpick or fingerpicking?
Has it always sounded like this?
Can you describe your current settings or does it sound that way no matter how you set volume, bass, treble?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM

A video or audio recording would really help here
Old 06-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Also keep in mind that any sort of piezo element will distort if you play too loudly. This gets exaggerated as the preamp battery dies.

There is a sweet spot of minimum and maximum volume levels.

One of my friends plays fingerstyle on the cheapest baby Martin with stock pickup live and gets about the best plugged in sound I have ever heard.

Meanwhile, I’ve heard so much distorted live acoustic guitar sound at open mics, especially with all the people who strum with picks as loud as they can and only change batteries when the sound completely dies!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hey 1-shot
I'm starting to think the OP's "handle" is well-earned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification