The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM

I wouldn't comment unless I knew the performers. They may be clueless. If you weren't there when they started the show, maybe they DID adjust already, and you heard the results.
When I start playing I'll always ask if the volume is ok or if the guitar is too loud - people will always respond when you ask.
But some people just don't have the 'ear' needed for good sound adjustment.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-10-2019, 02:48 PM

I always ask staff about volume. Customer # 1 in my book. After that, I will take input from audience members with measured analysis. Our vocalist is very dynamic. She can be hot in the mix one song and mild in the mix in another. She is improving on her mic technique but still has work to do. My new board has a hard limiting feature and that helps. But I get comments from the audience to turn vocals up/down and I have to measure that based on the song and what I know is coming. Even our bass player has a bad habit of wanting me to ride the faders on vocals. Unfortunately I also have to play guitar so my PA time is limited.

Last gig we played, during the break between songs, the owner yelled out from the balcony, "turn up the guitar". I obliged him.

I would never offer unsolicited input into someone else's sound, though at some bigger festival type venues, I have cursed a few sound people under my breath when I heard obvious mistakes hurting a show. Not long ago, I was at a friends show and she actually asked me if I would come up and get their sound adjusted. I reluctantly complied because it was not my board and the speaker system was a difficult one for me. Fortunately, the crowd seemed happy when I fixed a couple of small problems.

hunter
Old 06-10-2019, 03:04 PM

I've only mentioned something once I was very humble in my approach, as they were quite good (it was a trio and they had to die for vocals.)

They were very appreciative after they made changes, looked my way for feed back, and it was quite improved. I don't "think" they minded.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Do you guys who play live out often, take any advice from the audience with regards to sound adjustment?

I was at a local restaurant listening to a male/female duo. Both seemed very talented, but the sound was mixed poorly. The female vocal was so mid and bass heavy/muddy that no words were legible. I had a hard sometimes to tell what the song was. The male vocal was similar. The acoustic guitar was good

Looked like they had a Yamaha 10xu (dry with no effects) and two k8.2 speakers. This should have sounded great.

I didn’t make any comments, but wanted to since I knew they could sound better. I thought maybe I would appear rude if I mentioned anything or maybe even snobbish - like I knew more about sound than they did. I am not a great sound guy, but I think a little adjustment could have made a big difference. Maybe it was where I was setting. It was outdoors by the way.

Any recommendations on how to handle this?
If it's somebody that I know and trust, I'll actually ask.

I usually set a loop and walk out front in the beginning to do a check, but as the amount of people change, or their proximity to you, so does the sound. It's beneficial to have someone there that can give you useful feedback if at all possible.

In addition to playing out, I get hired to run sound. I never give my opinion unless asked.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification