The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 PM

Default Peterson Strobe

I got em all Strobe, Old ClipOn New ClipOn, got the Stomp Box on my pedalboard. Still like the old ClipOn the best. Studio or home it’s trained my ear for almost 20 years. Got the new one last year, sent an email to Peterson as it was defective within a month. They (John) immediately sent me another, so it pays to register your devices. Website works well for updates and warranty issues.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I got a Peterson StroboHD today... it was like getting a new guitar.
Hey, that's great... congratulations! I think you'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
The sweetened tunings on the Peterson tuners make my guitars sound a wee bit out of tune so I suspect they are quite quitar dependant.
Listening to all the stories, I think that's very true! I guess the key is to figure out which guitar sounds best with which tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hayes View Post
Got the new one last year, sent an email to Peterson as it was defective within a month. They (John) immediately sent me another, so it pays to register your devices. Website works well for updates and warranty issues.
Glad to hear of the good customer service. You never know when you're going to need it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

FYI I have the Peterson iStrob Soft app on my iPhone....works great and was only $9.99.... works great if you don’t want to carry a tuner around!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
These are the best clip on tuners I’ve ever used. The Unitune is a Polytune without the (gimmicky) strum all the strings at once turning feature of the Polytune. Both tuners are incredibly accurate, easy to see in nearly any lighting conditions and hold the note for a good length of time.

The sweetened tunings on the Peterson tuners make my guitars sound a wee bit out of tune so I suspect they are quite quitar dependant.
The Unitune is extremely cheap at around $25 in the USA, occasionally as low as $20 from Sweetwater. I have around 6 I think plus a couple of Polytunes.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 AM

Default nylon

Does it make sense to use the ACU tuning with nylon strings? (I don't have the new HD clip on yet orI'd try it)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Does it make sense to use the ACU tuning with nylon strings? (I don't have the new HD clip on yet orI'd try it)
When you get one, try it! You need to try out various ‘sweeteners’ to find the one that suits your instrument - it’s not ‘OSFA’.

None of my guitars sound ‘sweet’ with the ACU ‘sweetener’ - it makes them decidedly ‘sour’ - but they aren’t identical to James Taylor’s guitar, so it’s no surprise to me. I like the EQU or GTR sweeteners best, depending on the guitar I’m using.

But experimentation is the thing....

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Just thought I'd pitch my favorite free Strobe app here if anyone is interested.

https://apkpure.com/stroboscopic-tun...android.strobe

I'm keeping a 6 year old android phone alive just for this app. It's surprisingly sensitive at low volume, but be sure to adjust the settings for noise and mask aperture size if the preset doesn't work for you.

It's free and unfortunately seems to be abandonware so grab a copy if you think you might wanna try it.

Along with my recent wholesale change to 18:1 tuners on all my guitars, this app makes being in tune an easy pleasure.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:04 AM

I have the 1.0 version Kerbie- it's a great and solid tuner! Gave my Snark to my daughter who uses it on her uke.

The exact same thing happened to me when a buddy of mine used the Strobo. His response was, "how do you use this thing?", and "you like this thing?" LOL.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:24 PM

I had the first version of the Stroboclip and I hated it. It was way to twitchy. Hard to tune. The battery didn’t last and it was hard to tune with background noise.
Now I have the newest Stroboclip HD and I love the thing. It’s not twitchy, its very accurate, it’s easy to tune my guitar and it doesn’t seem to be affected by background noise. The battery life is great as I’ve had it over a year and I don’t remember if I’ve changed the battery or not.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I wrote Peterson and incredibly they wrote back already. Kudos to them. There are downloadable settings for nylon strings and I quote:

The choices are EQU, ACU or CLA for Classical guitar.
For Flamenco EQU, FLA or FLM.

EQU and ACU are already in the tuner, the others can be acquired (for free) on our Shared page:
Old 06-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does it make sense to use the ACU tuning with nylon strings?
That's a good question. I think I've used it with my nylon, but I hate to swear to it. Makes sense that CLA might be better. I think it's all a matter of taste.

Dory, let us know which you prefer on nylon.

One suggestion... contact AGF member Stomp... great guy. Another excellent resource who can answer all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I have the 1.0 version Kerbie- it's a great and solid tuner! Gave my Snark to my daughter who uses it on her uke.
That's great. Yeah, I haven't used any of my Snarks since my Stroboclip arrived.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion