The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Am I happy or sad?

My oldest Collings needed a refret and some set up work done, and after that, I took it the the Collings man in the UK for a "PLEK" process, after which, it just didn't feel quite right.
So, being unable to travel for some time, and with my hand problems, I decided to let them hang it on the wall and see if it might sell.

I was promised some paperwork agreeing sale price, their cut etc., but they didn't get around to it, so just thought I'd ring today.

Apparently, it was sold yesterday!

The sale price and commission were all as agreed, but now I'm thinking - ah, I'll miss that old box!

To be fair, I've got three other Collings dreads, so I can't grumble, but, I'm feeling a little sad somehow - it's been with me since 1999. I even stumbled on the 1999 receipt recently, and I paid less for it than I thought, so I've got my money back.

Well .... what am I going to spend that on now?

Oh well,
Old 06-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Andy, I'm sorry to read that the fret job and the pleck treatment didn't turn out to your liking, But I'm happy that you were able to get your money out of it.

I have a 1995 Collings D3H and to be honest I don't think I could sell that guitar.

I have 14 others and in that 14 there are five that have..... well let's just call it
(magic) every time I pick one of those guitars up I remind myself there are people that spend a life time looking for there life time guitar as they say, I feel I have found mine five times over. Lucky I guess.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:50 PM

Ah, those mixed feeling about a guitar. You decided to get rid of it for a reason so bring that thought forward if you end up with seller's regret. Sounds like you have some wonderful guitars, Silly.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:08 PM

I always feel bad when I let one go. Always.

Then I start looking at all the new goodies that are available and GAS takes over.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Hi Andy. Congrats on the sale. Try to remind yourself that several weeks ago you were seriously thinking of downsizing a bit given your health issues. I think all of us have successfully talked you out of quitting playing () and now you’ve got some money in your pocket and still plenty of other instruments to enjoy.

Winning!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM

So I guess now would be a good time to ask to borrow some money?

I can understand the mixed feelings but hopefully it will bring joy to someone else.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hi Andy. Congrats on the sale. Try to remind yourself that several weeks ago you were seriously thinking of downsizing a bit given your health issues. I think all of us have successfully talked you out of quitting playing () and now you’ve got some money in your pocket and still plenty of other instruments to enjoy.

Winning!
Yes, you are right of course, and it is still a challenge. That was very much on my mind when I consigned it.

And I do appreciate the supportive comments.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

It will be interesting to see what's on the horizon guitar wise for you Andy. Whatever you find I have to believe it will be of the 12 fret variety! Happy hunting...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Congratulations! You're Happy!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:04 PM

You didn't give it a chance.

A fret job very well might change the tone of the guitar but that's always for the better. You now have nice high frets well rounded and polished but you were used to the old pitted and scratched ones.

Neck resets can do the same thing. You reset the neck of a guitar so that it's now back to tip top shape and closer to it's original design but the owner of the guitar is horrified because he got used to it sounding less then optimal.

In time typically with a neck reset or a fret job players tend to sort of reorganize their misconceptions.

Like you said, 'Oh well' move on you got other guitars and a bunch of money now...
Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 PM

When I sold my Beautiful Guild 12 string I was happy and sad.
The guitar wasn't getting much play and the friend that got it as a gift from his family loves the guitar.

I used the money to get a Guild D-55 that I dearly love.
So yes, Happy and Sad day.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:02 AM

Curious, what about the plek didn’t feel right?

But I can relate that the way a guitar plays can really ruin the experience. I nearly did the same mistake with my OM-21 just now. But decided to give it one more chance. Put in a new colosi saddle that I carefully cut to measure, tweaked the truss and suddenly it was like getting an old friend back. But I only have two acoustics that I play regularly and they are very different, so no need to downsize, yet...

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion