The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM

Nice to count your blessings, Treenewt. I also have 3 but mine are boy-girl-boy and a little older (17,14,8). I have been trying for years to get one on banjo and one on mandolin to no avail. But I'm going to keep trying!

Thanks again for the great post and video. Both were so enjoyable.
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM

played one yesterday at a store and was blown away, they had 2 that sounded identical-- was not expecting that sound and playability, might have to go pick it up today

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
played one yesterday at a store and was blown away, they had 2 that sounded identical-- was not expecting that sound and playability, might have to go pick it up today
I don't think you'll have the same experience as you had with your E8, Bob. I've been unbelievably happy with mine.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
As I understand it, they made the move to put ebony fretboards, bridges and face plates on their guitars instead of rosewood (on the lower end models) due to cITIES restrictions on RW.

As to Larrivee vs Eastman, I loved the two Larrivee I had. The necks were so dang thin, though! I never felt like they were overbuilt. They were both extremely responsive instruments (L-03 and OM-40). I’ve owned 4 Eastmans before this one. This one is the best I’ve owned by far. It’s giving me gas for an E10D in the worst kinda way.
Interesting to hear restrictions on Rosewood. I thought Ebony was scarce.

Were any of the 4 Eastmans you had before more expensive or higher end than your E1OM? Also can you comment on Eastmans polished fretboards, are theirs more shiny than other makers and does it help with your playing?

Have you tried their PCH series which is half the price of your E1OM and can compare?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar. View Post
Interesting to hear restrictions on Rosewood. I thought Ebony was scarce.

Were any of the 4 Eastmans you had before more expensive or higher end than your E1OM? Also can you comment on Eastmans polished fretboards, are theirs more shiny than other makers and does it help with your playing?

Have you tried their PCH series which is half the price of your E1OM and can compare?
Rosewood got put on the CITES treaty as a group, mainly due to other industries I've been told. Can't speak to ebony, though I know Taylor has done big work replanting and also using streaked ebony (which is evident on many builders now, including Eastman).

All my other Eastmans were more expensive: E20OM, E20D, E8OM, AC420. They do polish the boards, which I honestly can't tell any difference in feel between polished and unpolished. I think they look nice, though!

I've only placed on PCH, the all-sapele one. I didn't care for it. Sounded way less lively than the E1OM (played them the same day). I think a big difference being the PCH have laminated back and sides, where the E1 and E2 are all solid. Also, the PCH are still showing rosewood as the fretboard and bridge wood? Not sure if that's how they ship or not.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Rosewood got put on the CITES treaty as a group, mainly due to other industries I've been told. Can't speak to ebony, though I know Taylor has done big work replanting and also using streaked ebony (which is evident on many builders now, including Eastman).

All my other Eastmans were more expensive: E20OM, E20D, E8OM, AC420. They do polish the boards, which I honestly can't tell any difference in feel between polished and unpolished. I think they look nice, though!

I've only placed on PCH, the all-sapele one. I didn't care for it. Sounded way less lively than the E1OM (played them the same day). I think a big difference being the PCH have laminated back and sides, where the E1 and E2 are all solid. Also, the PCH are still showing rosewood as the fretboard and bridge wood? Not sure if that's how they ship or not.
Thanks for your responses. Interesting to hear your other Eastmans were more expensive and that you liked the E1-OM the most. I would have thought the higher end ones would be or play even better.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar. View Post
Thanks for your responses. Interesting to hear your other Eastmans were more expensive and that you liked the E1-OM the most. I would have thought the higher end ones would be or play even better.
The E20OM was the one that got away...wish I still had that one. The E20D was good, but I didn't love it. The E8OM didn't impress me, took it back in a week. The AC420 was a great Dread, but didn't light my fire.

Truth be told, I have always liked mahogany more than rosewood, so that's probably a lot of it. I was trying to get Eastman to scratch an itch for something I don't guess I really liked. Stumbling on the E1OM changed my luck. Killer guitar, even at twice the price.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 AM

I finally have a decent mic and recorded a bit of a demo of what my E1OM sounds like.* Some strumming, flatpicking and fingerstyle on here.* Gives a good idea of what it sounds like.* No compression or effects, recorded directly into Garageband.*

Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 AM

sound really nice down all avenues, I have the E2OM and the E10 OM...I do need to break out the E2OM again, I do remember liking it but since getting the E10 OM I rarely sit it down
Old 06-01-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieb View Post
sound really nice down all avenues, I have the E2OM and the E10 OM...I do need to break out the E2OM again, I do remember liking it but since getting the E10 OM I rarely sit it down

Thanks Charlie! I can totally get that. I have the AC320, which is a stellar dread, but I rarely play it. I’m drawn to the size and tone of the OM. Total truth: I’m toying with moving them both for a nicer OM...going to just one guitar. But the E1OM is so dang good, I’m not sure what I’d move to and stay where I can afford it. So I’m recording today as a way to remind myself how good they both are, and that I don’t need something else/instead!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:48 AM

I hear you, I occasionally think about moving up a little to the E20 OM but being a couch/porch player nowadays the E10 OM suits me well, I think ha

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion