The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Thank you everybody for the help! I'm not even sure how I evolved to making such extreme changed at the ends since I wasn't even shooting for that! Hmmmmm. I think I was just going off the plan re: where the taper starts and just went for it!!!!

Arie, thanks for back strip info. I'm going to sand it down a bit then!

So I'll trim things up a bit and post.

Thanks a million. Sam
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Ok here's an improved version. I'm starting to tap tune back vs top so I'm going to remove wood now for that purpose. Excellent!

Like I said, the tap tone of the back is LOWER than that top, which is not his guitars are when put together. So it's seems I've got some wood to remove from the top.

Sam

BEFORE:

AFTER

Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
Thank you everybody for the help! I'm not even sure how I evolved to making such extreme changed at the ends since I wasn't even shooting for that! Hmmmmm. I think I was just going off the plan re: where the taper starts and just went for it!!!!

Arie, thanks for back strip info. I'm going to sand it down a bit then!

So I'll trim things up a bit and post.

Thanks a million. Sam
What did you use for that backstrip strip? I referred to Jonathan Kinkead's book for my first build and he suggested using a 5/8" wide section of cross-grained scrap trimmed from the edge of the soundboard so that it's basically as thick as your top. I went with one that I ordered from LMI.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 AM

How some of you do this with hot hide glue blows my mind! This was hard enough with white glue!

Sam

Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
What did you use for that backstrip strip? I referred to Jonathan Kinkead's book for my first build and he suggested using a 5/8" wide section of cross-grained scrap trimmed from the edge of the soundboard so that it's basically as thick as your top. I went with one that I ordered from LMI.
Hi - I used adirondack for backstrip.

Nice job on your build....you persevered thru some big challenges! Nice work.

Sam
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM

OK here's an update.....got sidetracked and slightly discouraged when I sanded thru sides (Yeah ok I now agree sides should be at least 0.07" thick hehe).

Anyways, its not going to be perfect but Im chugging. Now its pretty much time to get neck finished up and the scary part: cut the neck-body dovetails. This part scares me soooo much.

OK hope all is well. Sam

Last edited by Sam VanLaningham; 01-27-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Missing pic
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM

Ok long hiatus! I had hand cut the dovetail neck and body join and I'm just not skilled enough!!! So, I lost some wind in sails. But I got new energy and built a neck-body routing jig and glad I did! Works pretty good(pics later!).

Question: with a dovetail joint and a thru soundhole truss rod adjustment screw, is the adjustment screw positioned flush with end of dovetail on neck? Like the pic posted below? Then I guess I'll drill access hole through neck block? It seems some people have the truss rod extending further into body but I can't envision how I'd attach neck with fretboard and truss into a hole but also sliding into a dovetail???? Thanks for any thoughts! Sam

Old 02-12-2015, 03:42 PM

Ok, wow-this build process reminds me of getting a PhD.....challenging and rewarding and never ending! Love it.

Here are pics before finish.

I used water soluble aniline dye and rubbed in a sunburst. I figure it might look pretty good when I add finish since the dyed approach can look pretty nasty before finish then come alive after. I'm excited. I also used a stewmac tutorial on bindjng scraping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbsZsSabPs&sns=em) that worked really well for my first time. Note I actually went through process twice because the first time around I put light marks on englemann top whilst going around....just from thumb pressure. So I took it real easy after sanding, and rebursting.

I'll still be amazed if this thing stays together under tension. The sides have basically been reliced with all the patches etc. But glad I'm persevering.

Sam

L00 before finish by samvanlan, on Flickr

Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM

Well the back did not turn out so well. The top has promise. The sides have been effed since the beginning.

I used 4-5 coats of epifanes with the accelerator. i DID NOT do this right at all, and sort of went backwards relative to most finishing approaches Ive seen:

Coat1: Epifanes and accelerator......really thick and led to some large runs.
Coat2: Epifanes, accelerator and a smidge thinned.......better but still thick and droopy.
Coat3: Epifanes, accelerator and maybe 20% thinner......better yet!
Coats4&5: equal proportions of all three....best brush on yet, with some burn-in as well (I think).

I wet sanded with 400 between coats. However, I just dry sanded the neck with 600 and like that result much better.

Now Im gonna add another coat or 2 to the neck and meanwhile wait for 3-4 weeks for the varnish to cure on the body. Suhweeet.

(fyi for bookkeeping: I posted a bit about troubles with the finish in a different thread here:http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=375963)

Untitled by samvanlan, on Flickr

by samvanlan, on Flickr

by samvanlan, on Flickr
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Wow I can't believe my first guitar, this RIGHTY L00 for my bro, makes sounds. And they are pretty darn good sounds. Potato chip light. Laser clear and bright tone I think cuz of the maple and radiused body. Concerningly, I've got stripped truss rod issues and a backbowed neck. But the medium john pearses are making it playable. Better than I expected and worse than I hoped! Endless cosmetic flaws but I'm happy.

I am encouraged about build two! But gotta stay patient....one day at a time.

I will post better pics later! Iphone shots for now.....

L00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

Old 03-30-2015, 12:08 PM

Well done!!! Glad you were able to see it through to successful completion!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-30-2015, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here, here!

They get easier each time

BTW...I see an old friend leaning against the bookcase in the background.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:32 PM

Were you able to hear it "open up" in the first few minutes of playing? Some of mine have changed pretty dramatically in the first hour or so, others not so much.
et al
Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 PM

I love the look of it, going to have to do a burst one of these days.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Well done!!! Glad you were able to see it through to successful completion!!
Ned, thanks for helping so much in the beginning! Recently someone said "I love your guitars" so I tracked down clips of your Evo-Ff or some thing and that is a nice design and really clear sounding! Glad someone with your skill is willing to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageparlors View Post
Here, here!

They get easier each time

BTW...I see an old friend leaning against the bookcase in the background.
Thanks Steve! I didn't tell you but I shaved just a bit of wood off back and top braces to tune the autry top/back to C/D and it sounds great. I play it waaaayyyyy more than the Santa Cruz. Love the gigantic neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Were you able to hear it "open up" in the first few minutes of playing? Some of mine have changed pretty dramatically in the first hour or so, others not so much.
Thanks for the help Rodger. I did hear it do a lot of tonal changes over the last 24 hrs. I seated saddle better AND put mediums on, which seems to be activating the top a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I love the look of it, going to have to do a burst one of these days.
Yes printer! Just sucks with sand throughs! But the water based aniline dyes work awesome. They look pretty drab without finish but it does well once finished.

All in all. What a process! I don't think anything has sparked such a great spectrum of emotion. And it's not over. I have to figure out how to get this stripped truss rod moving. I'm gonna try to relieve tension in neck and then try a tapered allen head (diy stewmac wrench).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair