The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Rogue Starter Acoustic Guitar?? 199 reviews? 4 stars?

Just curious if anybody had heard/played these. I was going to recommend some to some of my younger students. (And maybe get one for office.... wink, wink).

199 reviews? 4 stars? $xx? Curious what my amigos over here on the forum think.

I guess for me, the main thing... at this price... is does is stay in tune....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=519266

Last edited by Darrel; 05-06-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Price
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

i have one, and i'm probably one of those reviews. we bought ours so my husband could do his first soundport on a guitar we didn't care about, but we actually kept it afterward.

but first, important to note that they are not the small guitar that they claim. the rogue starter guitar is larger than a classical, so not good for smaller children. also it's good for the price. ours, by a fluke, is great "out of the box", and stays in tune very well, but i considering the price, i expect some will need new tuners or to be exchanged. also while ours was well intonated, at this price you can expect some won't be.

that being said, if you can live with the weird finish and plastic bridge, we were both startled when the guitar arrived because it didn't sound bad at all. has some bass, isn't tinny - at least, ours isn't. it sounds good enough to be fun to play. if you can help out with new tuners if needed, they're better sounding to me than first acts, mini dreads and various children's guitars, at least partly because of its larger size. i suspect the shape may be a contributing factor.

btw, the soundport turned out fine
Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Yup..I have a couple that I use for lessons..I put nylon strings on them and teach the kids basics..much better then you would expect

En Vino Veritas

http://www.griffinsmith.webs.com/
Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM

I just took delivery of 6 of these! I'm teaching a group guitar class to some young students, and the guitar was included in the fee.

They look and sound fantastic for the price. I agree, not tinny like many $100-200 acoustics. Good bass, and overall tone...I was floored!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 PM

How are the necks on these? I've never played a 7/8 size guitar, but does that mean the neck is shorter, or do they take size off the body?

Thanks! I'm looking for a beater for my outside guitar, and I reckon this would do the job just fine.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

it's got a 25.5" scale according to my husband, who just measured. i thought it was a hair under. the nut is 1 3/4" and the body is about 19.5" (i just measured both) but it's not a standard acoustic style, so i'm not sure what it would be smaller than. it's like a big classical even down to the rosette, but made for steel strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
How are the necks on these? I've never played a 7/8 size guitar, but does that mean the neck is shorter, or do they take size off the body?

Thanks! I'm looking for a beater for my outside guitar, and I reckon this would do the job just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion