The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Default Song Sheets.....

After a long (50 Year) layoff I am playing again. Getting into 4 months or so now. I am coming along probably faster than I would have thought. After a month or so things started to return. I was never much more than a decent beginner.

So, I have a 3 ring binder filling up with songs that I have copied off the interwebs. Lyrics and chords. Many I had learned years ago. As I improve, I am noticing than many of the things I have copied are a bit off. I am noticing chord changes in the wrong place and on occasion chords that don't even sound like they should be there. I have thrown away a number of the things I had copied and on others tried to strike and insert corrections. That's a royal pain.

Can you point me to a real good site or two I can get music for my collection? It can be pay or free as long as the quality is there. I don't read music so there is that - at least at this point. Mainly looking for lyrics and chords.

Thanks!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 PM

This place is pretty good.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
et al
Old 03-05-2019, 05:26 PM

+1 for ultimate-guitar.com.
I started using an app for my tablet (also works with PC) called Songbook. It lets you download songs from places like ultimate-guitar. You can save, print and share them, but you can also edit them to your liking. It's a bit "techie", but works really well if you're into that sort of thing.
Good Luck!!

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 PM

I signed up for Ultimate-Guitar and it said thanks for the renewal. lol I guess I found it a few months ago and forgot. Its hell getting old.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

www.songsterr.com has a play along feature.

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/led-...aven-tab-s27t1

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
This place is pretty good.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
I was going to recommend UG as well. Huge selection and you can transpose the keys if you need it changed, etc. A lot of songs have parts for other instruments as well which can be handy if you play with others.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I was going to recommend UG as well. Huge selection and you can transpose the keys if you need it changed, etc. A lot of songs have parts for other instruments as well which can be handy if you play with others.
Yes, I have used UG for years it has many versions of many songs. That said, the songs posted there all need to be taken with a huge grain of salt because they are the interpretations of people who posted them. It's always worthwhile to read the comments and discussions, and many of the songs need a lot of improvement. Some of the editing can be done within UG, but it won't save you from the task of re-evaluating yourself and eventually scribbling notes and corrections on the sheet. I don't mind doing that. I also have an android phone and a small tablet, with apps (OpenSong and SmartChord) that can import songs from UG and you can edit them there and display/scroll them instead of using paper. However you do it, it's still up to you to take the songs you like and make them playable for you. Other people's work will always be just a crutch.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Yes, I have used UG for years it has many versions of many songs. That said, the songs posted there all need to be taken with a huge grain of salt because they are the interpretations of people who posted them. It's always worthwhile to read the comments and discussions, and many of the songs need a lot of improvement. Some of the editing can be done within UG, but it won't save you from the task of re-evaluating yourself and eventually scribbling notes and corrections on the sheet. I don't mind doing that. I also have an android phone and a small tablet, with apps (OpenSong and SmartChord) that can import songs from UG and you can edit them there and display/scroll them instead of using paper. However you do it, it's still up to you to take the songs you like and make them playable for you. Other people's work will always be just a crutch.
Yes, this ^^^. I use UG as a starting point. If I decide the song is a keeper, I cut and paste it into a word processor, fix what's wrong, bump up the font size, and put it in my tablet.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:37 AM

I am a hack, was in a band with about 70 songs in our playlist. Played bass, so ymmv. But I found two things helpful. 1. Take songs and Re-write in own handwriting. It is an editing exercise. Makes sure you only have what is important to a song. 2. Nashville type numbering system. Before band played churches for years and it helped me with on the fly changes.
One thing that helped me study in law school was advice from a friend who is exceptionally smart. He suggested Re-writing outlines a number of times and leaving off details as you go along when you knew details inside and out. Halle’s me learn lot of different songs in short time. My two cents.
Ps. Not sure if i answered question, but nothing better than really getting song under your belt. Frees you up to enjoy it.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 AM

Im still reading guys and thanks for all the suggestions. I do have an Ipad Air, I use to pilot my drone, so Ill check out the OpenSong and SmartChord apps.

Thanks for your comments!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

http://www.theguitarguy.com/songs.htm
Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM

What you get from the internet is nothing better than transcription skills of the person who submitted the file. I usually ignore the chords altogether, grab the lyrics, and then add the CORRECT chords. I play in a five piece band, trio, and two acoustic duos, so being able to refer to notes that clue me in (like each project playing the same song, but in different keys) before the song kicks off. I use Songbook on my iPad and iMac to keep it all straight. More than 400 songs in active rotation, and about 1000 more.

I really like Songbook in that it runs on MacOS, Windows, Android and iOS ... a different version for each, that work together. All the features of OnSong, but IMO better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write