The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Rack Effects for Live Sound

I am trying to find something more powerful and versatile to replace a MidiVerb. I want flexibility to add 3 or more effects to my acoustic, like Chorus, Compressor and Reverb. I went to GC and looked at the TC Electronic M300 and the Lexicon MX200. Both are dual engines, and seem to pretty good units. However, I think that you can only have 2 effects at once for presets.

Are there any rack units for $200 or so where you can save more than 2 effects to one preset? Do I need to move higher in price?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:10 AM

For rack units:

Two very different units to consider (but slightly higher in price)

the TC G Major

and

the POD XT (Pro) (Pro implies Rack)

The TC gives you a variety of effects even dual echos and you can chose to arrange some of the effects in parallel or in series with each other.

The Pod XT combines effects with Amp models. However there is some limitation in terms of the type of effects you can combine.

If you are not wholly after rack units you might want to consider Boss floor units ME-50 or GT-8 or even the PodXT Live. I suggest you get to a shop that has some of these units and try them out.

Regards,
Gerry
Gibson Les Paul Custom '79
Fender Clapton Strat
Fender HM Strat
Old 08-11-2005, 02:40 AM
AGF Bouncer

I'm a big TC fan. All of my current rack gear is TC. I just like the flexability and the quality of the effects.

I currently use a G-Force and an M-One.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar
I am trying to find something more powerful and versatile to replace a MidiVerb. I want flexibility to add 3 or more effects to my acoustic, like Chorus, Compressor and Reverb. I went to GC and looked at the TC Electronic M300 and the Lexicon MX200. Both are dual engines, and seem to pretty good units. However, I think that you can only have 2 effects at once for presets.

Are there any rack units for $200 or so where you can save more than 2 effects to one preset? Do I need to move higher in price?
I use the Lexicon MX200. You could use a compressor unit at the output. I use an old MXR Compressor.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Don't know much about it, and I've never actually tried one, but the Rocktron Prophesy sure has caught my eye. It's a tad bit over the $200 mark though.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:50 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar

For Chorus and Reverb, the TC cannot be beaten in this price point. AMAZING. If it were me, I would get the M300 and dbx 266XL Compressor/Gate. OK, so you are at $350 that way but....way more flexible.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:12 AM

I use a G-Major....very impressive piece of equipment for it's price. Though it's around double of the amount you mentioned I will tell you it's well worth it. I ditched all of my pedals and previous gear and now simply utilize it whether I'm playing acoustic or electric with an amp. It allows up to 6 effects at a time with customized settings for each. You can route them how you like, adjust each individual effect, and even utilize a continuous controller.

Had the funds been available I would've gone for the G-Force, which is by far an even more superior product, but it's quite a bit more.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 08-11-2005, 07:15 AM

what's wrong with using effects pedals?

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi
Nothing as far as I'm concerned... I love them. BUT... I do find myself missing the ability to change tone voicings with one stomp.

I guess I'm just never satisfied...

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi
Nothing really. It's just that for the places that I play, space is at a premium, and a rack effect just seems to clean things up a little. It also means that less can go wrong with my rig, and people don't end up stepping all over your pedals or cables.

I am going to get the TC G Major. Looks like it will do exactly what I want. Thanks for the input everybody
Old 08-17-2005, 07:20 PM

I use a Rocktron Intellifex, bought used on eBay. It works great, but it's not the easiest thing to program if you're in a hurry.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification