The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Replacing tuners on an old Yamaha

Hello,

I am replacing the tuners on an old (1980s I believe) Yamaha Jumbo I picked up on ebay. Hopefully, the 18:1 Grover Rotomatics I have will directly replace the stock-Yamaha tuners.

I am looking for any advice that anyone may be willing to offer, or a link to a website with further information (didn't find much at frets.com).

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Mike

[email protected]
Old 04-10-2005, 07:57 PM

What are you looking to know about your proposed switch?

As for purchasing the tuners, go to the All Parts site; they have an incredible selection of tuners including the 18:1s, and they are very helpful over the phone. I buy a lot of parts from them for our production work.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Hi Rick,

I already have the tuners (form FQMS). The guitar will arrive tomorrow.

I guess what I am looking for is the step-by-step process (like you might find on Frank Ford's site) as the tuners came with no instructions.

It looks like this is a basic job if the Grovers match, but any help is appreciated, especially when you're a novice.

I plan to use this guitar for luthier-practice!: first the tuners, then a pickup install, then a new saddle, etc.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 AM

I had the old cheap tuners taken off my Yamaha in the 70's and replaced with Gibson. The screws that screw into the back of the peghead did not match-up, so you could see the old original screw hole (new holes made for new tuners) - a cosmetic issue only. You'll be lucky if this does not happen to yours.

Also, be very careful pushing the new tuners into the big hole through the peghead. If it is a tight fit you can split the veneer peghead covering (the installed split mine). You may have to slightly enlarge the peghead holes if the fit is too tight. If you proceed to fast you may damage your veneer. This will not affect playing, just the cosmetics. But luithers-in-training need to be worried about cosmetics too.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the advice Ed,

I replaced the tuners last night.

My only issues were that the bushings for the original tuners were very difficult to remove. And also, the hole was actually a little too big, but I was able to make it work.

The Grover screws matched up with the originals. These 18:1 Rotomatics are very smooth.

My next step will be to either replace the saddle/nut or install a pickup.

-Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 11:52 AM

Mike,

If I send you my rabbit's foot, could you rub it a little for me and send it back? I need some of your good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion