The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Attention AC60/AC90 users!!! Help!!

Fellas....

I am trying to record with both Audacity and Garageband, and I am rather stuck...

Have any of you been able to match the smooth tone and warmth of an AC 60 or 90 (I have a 90) in your recording sessions? Everything I have tried (direct through preamp, open air with condenser mic, various settings) all prduce tones that are acceptable, but very flat in comparison to that great live sound of this fine amp.

What have you guys done to mimic the sound as closely as pssible to the real thing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:59 PM

Won't get much help on this forum
Old 09-18-2019, 04:01 PM

It seams you've tried all the possible options in your original post...

Maybe what you like about the amp is the sound in a live room and want to try distance mic'ing.

I've owned an AC60 more than 10 years ago and while I was very happy with what it could do, for my usage I'm not sure I found it better than other alternatives (like mic'ing a guitar directly).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboiv001 View Post
Won't get much help on this forum
Especially with an attitude like that. Your very first post is asking about something obscure, recording an acoustic amp, in a forum dedicated to acoustic amps - but not recording.

Anyway, what exactly is your setup? You say you've tried 2 different programs, but what's your interface? Mic selection? Room design for recording and listening? Monitors? All of these things will impact how your sound gets into the computer and how you hear it afterwards.

Recording an acoustic amp is not common practice, but there's no reason it can't work.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Especially with an attitude like that. Your very first post is asking about something obscure, recording an acoustic amp, in a forum dedicated to acoustic amps - but not recording.

Anyway, what exactly is your setup? You say you've tried 2 different programs, but what's your interface? Mic selection? Room design for recording and listening? Monitors? All of these things will impact how your sound gets into the computer and how you hear it afterwards.

Recording an acoustic amp is not common practice, but there's no reason it can't work.
Sorry about my impatience. I'm once again having to deal with a crazy situation, thinking I was past that broken piece of road, lol.

The room itself has poor acoustics, but I really think that, aside from really brushing up on my recording skills, I need to get as good a condenser mic as I can afford in order to replicate the warm resonance of the AC90 as close as I can.

I had been running direct out of the back of the amp through a USB Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, into either Garageband or Audacity on my Macbook Pro.

I am thinking a lot of acoustic foam and a really accurate condenser mic that will work for an acoustic amp.

Suggestions?

BTW....thanks to everyone who has replied thus far.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-23-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 AM

I run a Martin DM w/ an LR Baggs Anthem into a Roland AC60. I am not great at recording, but I have found that the beauty of that sound is definitely as it spreads through the room. You prolly don't want to close mic it, but rather get a bit more separation between the mic and the amp. Also, yes, I have found condenser mics to be better for such a situation. For what it is worth, I never did fully replicate the beauty on recordings that I heard in the room. I ended up just recording the guitar mic'd up without any pickup involved.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 AM

I’ve never touched an AC90 but I did look at the user manual.

You can try all the various outputs: line out XLR and 1/4 “ and the DI tuner out.
On the DI/Tuner out., if you have a TRS cable you can get a balanced signal, otherwise you can use a TR cable.
I assume the outs are post EQ, but it’s possible they’re pre EQ, so you’d have to do all EQing on the recording desk.

The manual suggests not to use the chorus effect via the outputs because it won’t sound the same when not going through their speakers.

Hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
roland ac60, roland ac90, taylor ce