The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
A bit different from the subtle elegance of your builds, thank you very for commenting.

Kind words! Beauty comes in many forms.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Time for some shiny stuff

It's all about the gloss!! What can I say about the koa bindings, wow.

Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Glossing up the headstock

What about this curly burly

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Default It's finally coming!

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 11-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Last week, I managed to sneak a quick trip to Singapore so I can pick up my guitar from Marcus at The Golden Era Guitar. I am new to solo builders of this caliber and arrived with high expectations, and I was not disappointed. Marcus hosted my afternoon and it was such an amazing experience to be able to play guitars from great builders that I can only read from this forum or see in social media feeds (Instagram). Examples of guitars I managed to try whilst in Singapore include, Datlen, Michaud, Dion, Tom Sands, Bowerman, Doerr, Beneteau, Pellerin, (Ryan & McKnight from a different dealer) and lastly my Keystone that I collected. It was also my first experience with Brazilian RW guitars and not to mention a guitar from a Somogyi apprentice (Tom Sands).

Of all the guitars I have owned before, my Keystone along with the other builders really took this to another level. I now understand all the rave on a well built African BW guitar, and is now considered one of my favourite tonewood. The Keystone is also my first Modified Dreadnought and I have to say the slightly tucked in waist makes it easier to play than a traditional dreadnought sitting down and I really enjoyed it. I cannot believe how the Keystone can produce such refined tone (and so are the others). I was after a guitar with deep clear bass and Marcus recommended that one of Keystone's specialty is his ABW builds. This was definitely achieved as recommended as I compared it with a Brazilian RW Keystone there and the ABW did have a deeper bass that I asked for over the Brazilian RW Keystone.

Even having tried all of the guitars above, I still wouldn't have changed my selection and Marcus has taken great care and attention to understand my requirements and hence, felt that Keystone would be the perfect choice for my very first build from his list of outstanding collection of builders he represents. He was spot on. Not to mention also, Marcus relinquished his personal set of ABW to me for this build and is easily the finest set of ABW around. Following an eventful afternoon, Marcus and his lovely other half, invited me for a very nice dinner at a lovely Japanese restaurant.

A big shout out to Marcus at The Golden Era Guitar and also to Keisuke Nishi at Keystone for the beautiful guitar. It is really the finest I have ever owned and I am sure I will continue to add more of these fine instruments in my collection in the not too distant future. Here are my final pics for this build thread. Enjoy!

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 11-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Had an incredible time showing Andy the guitars I have in store during his visit, and an in person delivery (or pick up in this case) is always such a nice personal touch!

I'll be posting some photos of my own to this thread in due time, along with a demo video so stay tuned for that! Keisuke Nishi of Keystone Guitars seriously builds an incredible guitar. Especially at his price point, I think Andy can probably admit too that it's a bit of a steal hahah perfect workmanship and sound. This guitar will be missed, but I am glad that it is in great hands with Andy who also happens to be quite the fingerstyle guitarist

This guitar has the most perfect African Blackwood you can find. Absolutely perfectly quartersawn with a really nice tasteful sapwood backstrip left behind. Just stunning stuff

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-24-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

What a great way to finally receive your guitar,and what a fine looking guitar it is too. With that body size and ABW it must sound awesome!
Old 11-26-2019, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

That thing looks killer! Congrats on the new guitar!!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, man! Your new guitar looks gorgeous.

I can only imagine the impact a trip like yours must make. Goes by in a flash, but leaves shock waves for months!

I hope to meet you one day, Marcus. I'll buy you the drink of your choice, and you can offer me an African Blackwood pencil or toothpick or something.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:39 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you very much for sharing and great impression on my work!
I am very grad that you liked the guitar.
Model M0d-D is my most selling model and African Black Wood is one of my favorite material, so I could not fail hahaha.
The tone you asked was perfect for the both body size and material. And material was very good. So I just helped little bit to brings out its own potential beauty.
Thank you very much again for choosing me for your custom build and also Thank you for Marcus for helping me out.

My most important goal of making custom instruments is to make customer happy.
Looks like you are happy with my guitar. So it makes me very very happy!!

Thank you very much.
Best Regards
Keisuke Nishi
Old 01-19-2020, 11:33 AM

I've had the chance to do a couple of recordings on this guitar so check these out! I also have in store a Keystone MD in German Spruce, but with Brazilian Rosewood instead so I decided to create a comparison video. Let me know what you think of the 2 guitars, and which you prefer

Keystone MD German/African Blackwood intro:

Comparison - Brazilian Rosewood vs African Blackwood:

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-19-2020, 07:37 PM

The first guita rwas more lush and had more overtones and sparkle while the second has more solid notes and more fundamental focus to my ear. And yet the first guitar was no less clear in it's way than the second guitar.

Without question I prefer the tone of the first guitsr over the second any day of the week but others' mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I've had the chance to do a couple of recordings on this guitar so check these out! I also have in store a Keystone MD in German Spruce, but with Brazilian Rosewood instead so I decided to create a comparison video. Let me know what you think of the 2 guitars, and which you prefer

Keystone MD German/African Blackwood intro:

Comparison - Brazilian Rosewood vs African Blackwood:

Old 01-19-2020, 08:18 PM

Wow, what spectacular set of wood for back and sides. I am a sucker for a bit of sapwood and this is about as good as it comes. I'm sure you will be grinning ear-to-ear whenever you pick this beauty up and strike a note.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful guitar with a lovely tone !!!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The first guita rwas more lush and had more overtones and sparkle while the second has more solid notes and more fundamental focus to my ear. And yet the first guitar was no less clear in it's way than the second guitar.

Without question I prefer the tone of the first guitsr over the second any day of the week but others' mileage may vary.
Guess we are both suckers for Brazilian Rosewood haha I personally prefer the Brazilian Rosewood but it's a really close call. Based on responses I've had to both guitars, it is pretty much an even split as to which is the favourite, though there are probably one or two more in the ABW camp

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop