The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That’s because they look like shiny metallic windshield wipers....

whm
No they dont, they look like pinball machine flippers.....
Old 04-29-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac2300 View Post
No they dont, they look like pinball machine flippers.....
That too!

You know, you should consider making a special edition of the power pins especially for Gibson SJ-200’s, with ends that curl like a handlebar mustache to go with the SJ-200’s mustache bridge. You could make the three pins on the treble side curve to the right, and the three pins on the bass side curve to the left.

You could also probably sell a lot of them to fans of Yosemite Sam...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-29-2019, 01:57 AM

Default Youre absolutely right!!

I just sent a telex to china, they are working on the 3d cads right now, should have digital printed parts on the way here on the next fedex flight out of Koomwram province. Thanks for the great idea, i just got a PM from Gibson, very excited about it, what kind of royalties are we talking about Wade?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:08 AM

Well, naturally I think 50/50 is fair, but seeing as you have all prototyping costs and advertising stuff to cover, I’d settle for 40/60 with you getting the lion’s share.

Yes, it’s noble of me, I know.

whm
Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 AM

I'm ordering a set of these pins.

To go with these tuners.

Just to see if anyone notices them on my Huss & Dalton.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Because of those pictures, I am going to have Acoustic Guitar Nightmares!
Old 04-29-2019, 01:42 PM

Good call, Bruce. Just like you, those pins and tuners are tasteful, elegant and self-assured in an understated but decidedly masculine way. If they needed to be described in one phrase, I think “quietly charismatic” would say it best.

whm
Old 04-29-2019, 01:57 PM

Default I had no idea

Quote:
Well, naturally I think 50/50 is fair, but seeing as you have all prototyping costs and advertising stuff to cover, I’d settle for 40/60 with you getting the lion’s share.

Yes, it’s noble of me, I know.

whm
Yes it is quite noble of you!!! im impressed, now i have a different feeling about this forum....
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

I'm wondering how tough it would be to have all the faces pointing up AND have the guitar in tune.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'm wondering how tough it would be to have all the faces pointing up AND have the guitar in tune.
Not very if you plan it right. I have a friend and ALL his guitars look like that (well, non-skull tuners but all facing the same way) when he tunes up. He's shown me how to make it happen but sometimes I'd mess it up and have to restring one or two so I don't bother anymore.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Well, it’s pretty obvious that SOMEBODY doesn’t have his priorities straight!

Actually, that hadn’t occurred to me until you mentioned it just now. But you’re completely correct - a perfect lineup like that probably would never occur if you got the strings in tune.

There are a couple of books of musical instrument collections that are semi-famous in collector circles: the Tsumura banjo book and the Tsumura guitar book. Both are filled with exquisite full color photos of an immense collection of instruments: mostly four string banjos in the banjo book, archtop guitars in the guitar book.

In the guitar book, every single guitar has its tuners perfectly aligned so that the tuner buttons all show at the same angle. I understood the visual reasons for aligning them, but - irrationally - that just irked me. I knew perfectly well that every guitar shown in that book was either slightly out of tune, or WAY out of tune. I wanted to reach into each photo and tune every guitar!

Oh, well....

whm

Edit: I just read 619TF’s post. I didn’t realize it was even possible to get six strings strung and in tune with the tuner buttons all aligned in the same direction. But I guess if it’s possible to solve a Rubik’s Cube perfectly aligned with just a few turns, it’s mathematically possible to do that with tuner buttons.

Math was never one of my better subjects....

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 04-29-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

As you say Wade, when someone else's guitar is in my hands I take notice of these things. When I'm watching a performance, live, video, etc. I always take notice of the guitar maker and model (if I can figure the latter out), but no, I don't pay much -if any- attention to the tuners and not at all to the pins.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Yeah, me neither.

whm
Old 04-30-2019, 07:22 PM

I don't pay much attention to the pins or tuners on MY GUITAR, unless and until they malfunction. The only times I've switched out pins were when they broke or one got lost, but in one case I took out a set of white plastic and replaced them with ebony w/ abalone dots - just for aesthetics. Ebony pins somehow looked better to me on the ebony bridge of that guitar. And I've never replaced tuner buttons, but sometimes that looks really cool.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Lee is correct: Martin Carthy quite methodically developed a bridge pin set made up of different materials for different strings. I forget exactly which pin is which, but I think the two lowest strings have pins made of cow horn.
That's what I've been saying all along. I've never advocated changing bridge pins willy-nilly but developing an understanding of what each of the materials do sonically, analyzing how each string contributes to the overall sound, then using pins selectively to adjust the sonic output of your guitar to your specific taste. I've found that in general, changing an entire set of bridge pins doesn't often provide the same satisfaction as specific and selective pin assignments. When you change an entire set of pins the relationship from string to string remains the same, so any qualities you have with one set transfers to the next, with obviously some change, but often quite nuanced- and impercetible to many.

I've just taken my Martin D35 out of hibernation (from home remodeling) and at first strum it was like "whoa"... Got to playing and digging the sound. Nice beefy bass- but not boomy. As I put the guitar up I noticed that I had 5 bone pins and on buffalo horn pin in the 6th string. I really hadn't remembered doing any pin swapping on the D35 and obviously was an experiment that I'd forgotten about. I was surprised that I'd done a pin swap but not surprised that I really liked the sound. I love the blend and what that low E does for the harmonics, making them thick and rich, but not overpowering [like some (ahem...)"new" guitar models].

Then I looked at my Taylor 814ceDLX-x and realized that I had gone back to Elixir strings, all ebony pins... except for that low E. Again the piano like quality of the buffalo pin in the low E just does something special. And even though I've tested multiple combinations of pins (and had subtle to radical changes in tone) just that one pin seems to work for me with the right strings (D35 likes Sunbeams or D'Addario NB's).

I guess the bottom line is: Pins are like medicine. Sometimes just a drop can cure while two drops can kill.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion