The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Vin, thanks to you and the other folks above who have mentioned this.

Question: When installing this, is it also recommended to put a black soundcover behind it?

Thanks Again. Appreciate it.

scott
I don't think you would need one. They are very feedback resistant, as are most magnetic pups. You would have to be at band levels and in close proximity to your speaker(s) to produce feedback IME.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-27-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I've been reading a fair number of those posts, but it seems to me a number of people have posted about having to move the location of the different sensors quite a few times to locate the sweet spot. That is my main concern with that rig.

thanks,
scott
I think this is classic AGF. If it can be moved, it will be moved, and someone will say it was essential for some change that possibly only they can hear.

Given the simplicity of (re) installation, no batteries in the guitar, and no stuff in the sound hole, it seems like a great option and I'm thinking about putting one in my CO-PA.

To me the only downside, as with a K&K, is you will need a preamp to plug into a mixer (it will work fine direct to a guitar amp or other ~1M ohm load -- which is in reality all that preamp really does for you).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-27-2019, 12:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I think this is classic AGF. If it can be moved, it will be moved, and someone will say it was essential for some change that possibly only they can hear.

Given the simplicity of (re) installation, no batteries in the guitar, and no stuff in the sound hole, it seems like a great option and I'm thinking about putting one in my CO-PA.

To me the only downside, as with a K&K, is you will need a preamp to plug into a mixer (it will work fine direct to a guitar amp or other ~1M ohm load -- which is in reality all that preamp really does for you).
John, thanks. Appreciate your input.

scott
Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=jonfields45;5991646]I think this is classic AGF. If it can be moved, it will be moved, and someone will say it was essential for some change that possibly only they can hear.

Great post, funny and often all too true!

Last edited by dogdog49; 02-27-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-27-2019, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

We're a funny, wonderful, sometimes batty group. I lead the pack.

sm
Old 03-05-2019, 04:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Can someone explain to me why the black version of this same pickup costs $40 more? I assume it's the same internally.

thanks,
scott
Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 PM

I gig a lot and use a variety of pickups but the Shatten HFN passive is great. For an even easier install at the soundhole is a LR Baggs M80 or M1 as someone already recommended. If you are like a lot of us one day you will end up with a drawer full of pickups.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I gig a lot and use a variety of pickups but the Shatten HFN passive is great. For an even easier install at the soundhole is a LR Baggs M80 or M1 as someone already recommended. If you are like a lot of us one day you will end up with a drawer full of pickups.
Hotroad, thanks for the tips. I tend to not change out stuff. I just have the time. So I always do a lot of research up front, make my decision, and pull the trigger. I do the same thing with guitars, rarely buying on impulse. I research A LOT before purchasing.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Scott....what did you decide to go with? Did you go with the Shatten and how
hard was the install? I have a Martin with a crappy Sonitone and want to replace it myself if possible.

Quote:
Hotroad, thanks for the tips. I tend to not change out stuff. I just have the time. So I always do a lot of research up front, make my decision, and pull the trigger. I do the same thing with guitars, rarely buying on impulse. I research A LOT before purchasing.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 04-25-2019, 03:40 PM

BTW that HFN is in my CO-PA. After EQ (bass boost, treble cut, well within the control of my mixer), it sounds great! I'm still gigging with my Mi-Si as I've got too much experience with that pickup and how to put a lead line over the top (volume wise) without getting into any problems (too shrill or feedback). At the end of the day I'm still imagining I'm the lead guitarist in my high school rock band (I'm 62 in July)...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-29-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Scott....what did you decide to go with? Did you go with the Shatten and how
hard was the install? I have a Martin with a crappy Sonitone and want to replace it myself if possible.
Jack, hi, thanks for writing. Sorry, I've just been so slammed, I don't see this happening till at least June. The Shatten sounds interesting, along with a few others. I really want to do the install myself, even though I can afford to pay out, because I enjoy doing stuff with my hands. But I'm a perfectionist and a little nerdy in that way, so I need to find a block of time.

How about you? Any thoughts?

Thanks Much, Jack. Let's keep in touch,

Scott
Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Sounds good. Keep me posted. I haven’t decided yet but not sure I want to attempt the install myself. But this is just a second spare guitar so I want to keep it low cost. My main guitar has the Aura pickup which is awesome.

Quote:
Jack, hi, thanks for writing. Sorry, I've just been so slammed, I don't see this happening till at least June. The Shatten sounds interesting, along with a few others. I really want to do the install myself, even though I can afford to pay out, because I enjoy doing stuff with my hands. But I'm a perfectionist and a little nerdy in that way, so I need to find a block of time.

How about you? Any thoughts?

Thanks Much, Jack. Let's keep in touch,

Scott
Old 04-28-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Some mixers, such as the Behringer XR18 digital mixer, have high impedance, or "Hi-Z," inputs. On the XR18, the first two inputs are 1 meg when unbalanced (TS) cables are plugged in and 2 meg when balanced (TRS) cables are plugged in.

But yes, most mixers do not have Hi-Z inputs.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 AM

I confess I've always been a K&K guy. I put one in my first Lowden, had two put in my harp guitar and now have one in my current Lowden. As I said, I managed to put one in my first Lowden, it wasn't easy but everything worked out fine. I have to agree with those who talk about the impedance issue as I just switched to a Red Eye over my long time LR Baggs Venue DI on my Acoustic/Electric pedalboard. Things seem much cleaner/crisper. So bottom line, under $200 and doable.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Easiest to install will always be a sound-hole pickup. Lots of good ones but, in my opinion, your best ones will be more in the $300 range.
+1

Passive mags, in particular, plug into anything from a guitar amp to a PA with relative aplomb and don’t require impedence matching pres or whatnot - they’ll benefit from it, but you’ll get a perfectly usable sound just plugging a cable from the guitar to the amp. It’s sort of a minimalist setup, but it often works surprisingly well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification