The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM

I like the unit but my pet peeve is that it shuts off automatically after about 6 hours-- nothing in manual about it. Turning it back on requires moving switch to off and back on and a loud pop through my AER C60-2. I like to leave my rig on at all times so I can just play and not worry about switch sequences. The Fishman Aura Spectrum I have was better that way.
The acoustic resonance on the AD10 has been useful for most of my guitars, probably better than the Aura, excepting those with built in images (My Martin OM-35E has Fishman Aura VT). Either Aura or the acoustic resonance sound good/useful, but not stacked.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Anyway, if you go to the website, you will able to get a manual that while similar, is actually what you need to properly run the AD-10.

Perhaps that will help?

Best,
PJ
Is this in response to me or someone else? If me, I don't have an AD-10, I am thinking of buying one but trying to get more info. I am asking the question above *after* reading the online manual.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielou View Post
I like the unit but my pet peeve is that it shuts off automatically after about 6 hours-- nothing in manual about it. Turning it back on requires moving switch to off and back on and a loud pop through my AER C60-2. I like to leave my rig on at all times so I can just play and not worry about switch sequences. The Fishman Aura Spectrum I have was better that way.

The acoustic resonance on the AD10 has been useful for most of my guitars, probably better than the Aura, excepting those with built in images (My Martin OM-35E has Fishman Aura VT). Either Aura or the acoustic resonance sound good/useful, but not stacked.

Instructions on how to turn the auto-off function off are on page 12 of the online manual.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Just had a look at the manual which was helpful. Still a little confused about the ambience/reverb capability though...

Spec. says 3 diff types (short, medium and long) So I'm guessing the reverb tail (length) is fixed for these and the only on-the-fly adjustment with the ambience knob is how wet you want it, yes?

Under 'editing the effects' in the manual it says that for ambience you can edit the '...tonal quality of the sound'. Does that mean make the reverb tail brighter/darker?

Someone said earlier said you can edit the parameter to get more reverb - (which is not clear in the manual) by that I assume 'more depth'/wetter mix/

I guess you cannot edit (increase) reverb tail length of each type of reverb?

How long is the long reverb?

The manual says you can add all sorts of footswitches and pedals, it would be great to have some examples of applications.

The reverb times are not adjustable beyond choosing between the three preset lengths. There is a tone control for the reverb, but I don’t find it useful. The delay effect is more flexible. There is a master ambience (reverb) level parameter which acts like the reverb return on a mixer. Turning this up from the default value of 50 boosts the available amount of reverb if you like that sort of thing. The reverb sound itself is quite nice.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Is this in response to me or someone else? If me, I don't have an AD-10, I am thinking of buying one but trying to get more info. I am asking the question above *after* reading the online manual.
Sorry for the confusion, just throwing that out there. Not really in response to anyone in particular.

Best,
PJ
Old 04-26-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The reverb times are not adjustable beyond choosing between the three preset lengths. There is a tone control for the reverb, but I don’t find it useful. The delay effect is more flexible. There is a master ambience (reverb) level parameter which acts like the reverb return on a mixer. Turning this up from the default value of 50 boosts the available amount of reverb if you like that sort of thing. The reverb sound itself is quite nice.
Right, thanks for that, much clearer now :-) I also found a good demo of the reverb here:

Hmmm.. that's not embedding for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcYB...ImOssuVql&t=0s

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 04-26-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 PM

Default The new Boss AD-10 Acoustic DI

The connectivity features on both the AD-10 and the Boss VE-8 are really great, especially if you are using a powered speaker instead of an acoustic amp as your instrument monitor.

Last edited by lkingston; 04-27-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Default The new Boss AD-10 Acoustic DI

I just giggled with the AD-10 again tonight and it was just fabulous. Again, I had the bartender (who also runs sound) turn of the EQ and reverb send on the guitar channel, and it was just perfect. The best amplified guitar sound I’ve ever heard in a local venue.

Last edited by lkingston; 04-28-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Hello,

Owner of a BOSS AD-10, have to say is the "almost" perfect tool for acoustic guitar.

From my point of view, one important feature is missing: the support for GA-FC pedal board extender/ function extender.
This feature is available for new ACS series of Boss amps, so why not for AC-10, please?
Maybe is just a software update matter. Then, "almost" goes off.....!

....time to start a new wishlist v2.0 firmw update?.......
Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM

Well I bit the bullet and got one off Ebay. Just running the guitar through the unit dry into my amp its giving me a very coloured sound, kind of harsh and electric. Input level has been trimmed and is not in the red so I am not overdriving it.

I suspect (after further reading of threads here) this is down to the fact I have a K&K pure mini and arguably the impedance difference.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=505126
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=503049

I'd be interested in hearing from other K&K users how they got on with this unit. I'll have to have a play to see if the harsh tone can be EQ'd out, a bit frustrating as just plugging the guitar straight into the amp sounds great.

I hate the reverb (ambience), and have a much nicer one on both on my studio amp and on my portable PA.

The delay is fine though and very customisable. I'll have to see whether this, the looper and most importantly the dual channel EQ save the day.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I bit the bullet and got one off Ebay. Just running the guitar through the unit dry into my amp its giving me a very coloured sound, kind of harsh and electric. Input level has been trimmed and is not in the red so I am not overdriving it.

I suspect (after further reading of threads here) this is down to the fact I have a K&K pure mini and arguably the impedance difference.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=505126
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=503049

I'd be interested in hearing from other K&K users how they got on with this unit. I'll have to have a play to see if the harsh tone can be EQ'd out, a bit frustrating as just plugging the guitar straight into the amp sounds great.

I hate the reverb (ambience), and have a much nicer one on both on my studio amp and on my portable PA.

The delay is fine though and very customisable. I'll have to see whether this, the looper and most importantly the dual channel EQ save the day.
If you can return this and also afford another $170.00 you might consider the T-Rex SoulMate Acoustic. A friend of mine has one and it has adjustable 1 - 10 megohm impedance, 5 minute 2 button looper and the best reverb I've ever heard.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Just curious about the Fishman....what was the cause of death? Did you get a repair estimate? I love mine, and for the price, I would be reluctant to let it go. Of course, gadget guy here looks for any excuse to get more gadgets, but 350 is too steep to just toss on a junk heap for me!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
If you can return this and also afford another $170.00 you might consider the T-Rex SoulMate Acoustic. A friend of mine has one and it has adjustable 1 - 10 megohm impedance, 5 minute 2 button looper and the best reverb I've ever heard.
It's single channel though.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:09 PM

So well, time to fullfill my wish list for 2.0 firmware:

- the support for Boss GA-FC pedal board extender/ function extender
- Undo function for loop
- add 10 more memory slot presets....
- Special setup in Loop mode so that 3 footswitch can be set to: play/stop+undo+clear
- editor or patch manager....?

Old 10-21-2018, 03:45 AM

Hi all, I'm new to this forum as well as a new AD-10 owner. I spent a full day with it, locked in a room with 2 very different instruments. One has a nice preamp with EQ the other pure passive piezo. I bought the AD-10 to run both instruments through, equalize the gains and EQ each differently, and of course tune either one, (I love when you are in tuner mode, you can tune whatever you have in your hand, not just which channel is selected) then run into a PA. Adjusting the gains was a piece of cake, turn the knob, watch the output light, done. Setting individual EQs not so much. The manual walks me through the process (and I've got the hard copy that shipped with and the online version) and it's not rocket science to follow the steps. But when I'm done and check the settings on each instrument (using the exit button and slightly turning any knob) the settings are whatever the current knob is at, not what I preset. I even tried setting up both channels then writing to a memory patch to see if it gets saved that way. When I look at the patch it's the system default settings. I feel like I'm missing something easy as no one else seems to have documented an issue anywhere online, or something is wrong with my unit. Everything else is working as designed. I'm hoping someone out there with more experience can help me out. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification