The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic Pedal board? what must have.. give me 5 .

I want to use some pedal to my acoustic gig.

Solo & band.

here are some list I have

Red/eye DI
fender ABY pedal
Boss Reverb
Boss Chorus
Korg tuner.

what do you have? and what's the essential ones that you recommend?

thanks!!

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 AM

Lets see, my present setup is:

Guitar: Taylor GA8 (2007 ver ES1.2)

Pedals:
Pigtronix Keymaster (preamp/DI/blender/mixer/effects loop)

In the Keymaster effects loop: Hardwire Pedal tuner, EHX Octave Polophonic pedal (Pitchfork), MESA Toneburst EQ, Hardwire Chorus, Hardwire Phaser, SD Vapor Trail Analog Delay

Amp: Quilter Mach II 8" with HD cab. (Reverb and Tremolo built in)

I am too fickle (constantly trying new pedals) to recommend anything other than a good tuner and having fun.

[IMG][/IMG]
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

Last edited by briggleman; 06-22-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

depends upon your amp. If your amp has built-in chorus or built-in reverb your pedal board will be different.

I think the acoustic essentials would be:

1) chorus (or judicious use of a phase-90 can give beautiful results on an acoustic, especially 12-string)

2) acoustic simulator/tone "fixer" depending upon your pickup but mandatory if quacking through a piezo
such as a TC Bodyrez Acoustic Enhancer or even an MXR acoustic simulator

3) EQ

4) compressor will be very helpful

5) looper

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 06-21-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:57 PM

I think my most essential pedal is my Fishman Platinum Pro DI to control feedback, phase problems, resonances inherent in acoustic guitars and to help shape/EQ my overall sound in different rooms. I have the Red Eye but I found it didn't give me enough control for most of my normal gigs where I bring my own sound. But I really like it if I'm on stage for larger events with a soundman; in that situation it's a great plug-n-play DI.

The second pedal I can't live without for amplified gigs is my TC Polytune mini---big, bright LED display and latches on to notes quickly which really helps as I will often run thru up to 4 different tunings in a single gig. The Platinum Pro built-in tuner doesn't come close to the Polytune.

All of my other pedals---reverb, delay, looper and harmonizer---are just my toys!!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 06-21-2016, 02:25 PM

The best thing to do is a play a set and see if you need any of those effects. I would say that it's nice to have a preamp/di, tuner and boost but once you start talking about reverb, delay, chorus etc., it all comes down to personal taste. A lot of guitar players, including myself, tend to make larger boards at first because every effect seems cool and we think we need them all. Over time, you start realizing that some effects are just taking up space. Chorus for example is an effect that gets over used in acoustic music.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
....Chorus for example is an effect that gets over used in acoustic music.
Like.....cowbell. MORE COWBELL!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:00 PM

For my set-up -- which involves a transducer with no guitar-mounted pre-amp, the first thing my guitar signal needs to hit on my pedal-board is the pre-amp. If I limit it to (5) pedals, as you suggest:

1. Pre-amp.
2. Tuner.
3. Chorus.
4. Delay.
5. Reverb.

But if I really had to limit it even more, I would go:

1. Pre-amp.
2. Tuner.
3. Reverb.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM

Tuner (out of the signal path), volume, EQ, compression, reverb. I could do any gig with these pedals. An added luxury would be a delay.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Chorus for example is an effect that gets over used in acoustic music.
Soon as I hear chorus i get seasick, I'm not definately not a fan.

As for pedals, I go for ones that help make the presentation easier (ie volume, compression, tuner), and pedals that help make up for bad room characteristics (EQ, reverb, etc).
Old 06-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Soon as I hear chorus i get seasick, I'm not definately not a fan.

As for pedals, I go for ones that help make the presentation easier (ie volume, compression, tuner), and pedals that help make up for bad room characteristics (EQ, reverb, etc).
I actually do love chorus on an electric guitar, if done right. The guitar on Paul Simon's Graceland or Eric Johnson's clean guitar tones are amazing. With acoustic, it just sounds wrong. I think the reason I feel that way is due to the fact that so many open mic or amateur acoustic performers will buy a chorus pedal and absolutely crank it in the mix. It's to the point where the acoustic tone is buried underneath a swirly, 80's driven tone.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Guest4562

I like having all that stuff. I don't want to carry/set up any of it. Mostly it's just a PADI and a volume pedal, reverb from the mixer.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:11 PM

All of my acoustics are equipped with K&K Pure Mini pups. I play them through one of the following depending upon the venue:

* 2006 Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP
* Fishman Mini Loudbox
* Fishman Performer Loudbox

My pedals are all stored in a BOSS BCB-6 case for easy carry and instant setup.

The pedals are (L to R)

* BOSS GE-7 EQ
* BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay
* BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
* BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay
* BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
* BOSS TU-3 Tuner/Power supply for the other pedals
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I think the reason I feel that way is due to the fact that so many open mic or amateur acoustic performers will buy a chorus pedal and absolutely crank it in the mix. It's to the point where the acoustic tone is buried underneath a swirly, 80's driven tone.
This exactly why I hate it! Along that many players use it to cover up otherwise crappy tone and bad technique. As for the electric I'm 50/50 with ya I'm not a fan of Eric Johnson's chorus tone, although I LOVE his dirty tones, but, I LOVE the Graceland stuff! Actually I'm a fan of anything Paul Simon or usually anything his stellar musicians come up with!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Rockabilly - Curious how you apply compression. As a limiter to allow more detail to come out?

I'm in the middle of changing my board. Now that I have a Grace Designs Felix I don't need a preamp/DI and mostly don't need additional EQ. The Felix isn't as good as an Empress ParaEQ in that area but it's good enough.

Don't 'need' anything else but various toys can sometimes inspire new ideas and fun to play with.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:05 PM

I have two idential boards. One in a suitcase with my mixer and cables for a gig where I bring PA, and one in a pedaltrain soft case for places that have a PA, fly dates, and dual location setups for weddings.

I took the tuners off both boards since the photo because my pickup (Fishman Prefix Premium Blend has an onboard tuner. Thinking about adding a reverb pedal in the guitar signal chain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification